Gas Mixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Mixture

I have a bottle of mixed gas that is 75% Argon/25% CO2, and was wondering if there is a way to check the actual percentages? I recently purchased a gas mixer and I would like to check the calibration of it by checking its mixing percentages. Can anyone help me.

I know it can be done but the equipment would be expensive. What kind of a mixer did you get?

Comment

It is a Smith standard two gas mixer 180 scfh argon /co2. I bought it used and was wondering how accurate it is. There should be a way to check the percentage of gas being mixed since each is a different density.

Comment

I would like to have one of those. I am building one, just using flow meters to set the percentages of each gas. I would just use it and not be too concerned about just how accurate it is. I want to see if 50/50 is any different then 75/25.

Comment

Mike, I opened the mixer's case and look inside, not much. There is a small mixing chamber and two metering valves one for gas mixture and the other is your flow rate. Smith requires a minimum of 55 psi on both gases for it to work properly. So I also had to buy Inert pressure regulators because my flowmeters would not go high enough. I am also looking into building a manifold that would allow me to feed a regulator and a flowmeter off the same bottle at one time.

Comment

I have a flow meter that had a bad diaphram. I blocked it off and am just using the flow meter part of it on the output of the mixer. The funny thing is that if I set the flow meter on one of the tanks to say 20 cfh, the other flow meter will read higher. I expected it to read lower because it wouldn't have the correct pressure. There has to be a simple explanation but I haven't found it yet.

Comment

Mike, it appears that on the mixer I have they use a fix orifice to control the flow of Argon ( no adjustment ) that is why they require a minimum pressure on both of your input gases but you a can control the amount of CO2 you are mixing by adjusting the metering valve which then passes into the flowmeter.

Comment

Thanks for the info. This mixing stuff is kind of interesting. I will post some pics once I am convinced I know what I am doing.

Comment

Working...
                X