8 Point Roll Bar Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 Point Roll Bar Installation

I have a customer that wants me to install an 8 point cage in a '76 Nova for bracket racing I've done a fair amount of roll bar welding for customers but never a full installation. The kit is a Jegs unit; Hoop, crossbar, front and rear bars and 2 bars to tie into sub-frame connectors. The customer wants a price before I get started. Has anyone done one of these kits and can give me a ballpark as to time to install?

I would give an estimate on instalation but stick with time and materials, you ever look under a 25 year old car? there often is a days work just finding something solid to work with.(1 day including gutting thre interior)
    Trailblazer 302g
    coolmate4
    hf-251d-1
    super s-32p
    you can never know enough

Comment

8 Point install

Aeroweld, I did an 8 point in my 89 mustang and its not hard. Time was the main factor.( had no one to help me ) The going rate on a mustang is 300 to 800 hundred ( depends on shop ) with on interior to pull and painting is extra also. Hope this helps.
      gregg

Comment

I helped set up a 10 pt in a camaro a few years ago and the car was clean and prepped ready to weld and only required minor fitup mods and a few perch adjustments and the bill was a grand. The owner had another shop do the back half a month earlier and wanted us to fix their mistakes, so we did and charged accordingly!

The other shop informed the owner that he wouldn't need the cage for the street, in spite of having near 800 HP under the sheetmetal. The car would corkscrew during acceleration then just go squirrelly, no rigidity to keep it straight. After the cage was installed , he went to the strip and the car launched straight and pulled the fronts in 1st and 2nd and stayed pointed straight.

I would tell them the regular rate and materials costs and put it in as between ?? and ??? and let him know you document the time and usage per job. He will be better off than making you or anyone live or die by a bid, because if it takes less or more than the original neither of you lose.

He will get the job he wants and you'll get paid, good for all!

Comment

pj makes an excelent point. If you make a quote be sure to itemize all involved costs, to avoid a personal interpretation on expected work.
          Trailblazer 302g
          coolmate4
          hf-251d-1
          super s-32p
          you can never know enough

Comment

If a customer brings me a pre bent 8 pt roll bar I charge $400 to mig weld it in. I have used a couple Jegs bars and they fit really well for the price. That's also welding in all seat belt tabs in place where they need to go. Don't sell your time short, the equipment we have cost us alot of money out of our pocket and the work we do is valuable. Last summer I quoted a local import racer here in my town a price to weld in his 12pt cage in his car. I told him I would do it for $800 with belt tabs and window net attachment and he about had a heart attack on the phone. But during the same phone call as we was talking about the specs of his car he was boasting about how his 4 Venolia pistons cost him $500 and we can get a set for a v8 for the same price. I learned from him in that phone call that he places more value on his 4 precious pistons than he does his fat squishy head!!! I heard he went out of town 90 miles and had a guy weld it in for $450 with no belt tabs or net. And I heard it looks like poop.

MM-185
            Dynasty 300DX
            Thermal Arc Arcmaster 200

Comment

I own a chassis shop and I get $600 for a 6 point roll bar, cages start at $1000 and go up from there. This includes materials, but no window nets or mounts. Also, I bend up all my own kits. Every kit I have ever had a customer bring me has been more work to install than it was worth. I had one kit from a big supplier that fit so bad I couldnt use it. I called the company to complain about it and they insisted that it fit fine. I finally got so mad that I faxed them the blueprint for my kit and told them that maybe they should start using mine instead. Steel has also gone crazy lately and in a roll bar I have about $150-180 in materials, and in a cage $220+.

As someone said above, dont sell yourself short. Just to keep my doors open on my shop costs about $12 an hour, not counting elect, water, or other over head. Count in all the equipment, repairs, supplies etc and you are probably at $25 an hour just in expenses.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!
                The car is already gutted from firewall to trunk with the exception of dash, steering column, and glass so that will not be an added cost to the customer.

The car is a real nice southern specimen so the metal is solid.

The kit is a "Universal" kit to fit Nova/Ventura from '68-'77 body styles. The hoop looks to be a good fit and most of the bars are notched (fishmouthed) at one end. I will still have to mitre the other ends to fit the floorpan. The mount plates for the floor are merely that: 6 pieces of 6" x 6" x .090 steel that will have to be bent and contoured to the floor pan. He is also using a Jeg's seat and adjustable tracks so I also want to do some reinforcing of the floorpan in the seat mount area.

My initial thoughts were about 10-12 hours labor for the total installation and judging from the replys, I am probably not too far off.

My usual rates run from $55.00/hr for general shop labor/welding to a high of $75.00/hr for mobile TIG work with process variable rates in between.

In talking to the customer it doesn't seem like he is looking for a firm "hard" quote as there will also be some ancillary welding involved with the project. Sounds like $750-$800.00 would be a good "ballpark price" in this case.

Thanks again for the replys and if anyone would like to add anything my eyes and ears are open.

Comment

Ive done a handfull of rollbars/cages as well. Some of mine have take upwards of 20 hours, so its not an easy task. As some of the other guys mentioned, the pre made kits dont always fit well. The only thing ive ever seen fit was the main hoop. The rest of the stuff is always too long, or need to be re-notched. Here is a page on my site with prices and different options, maybe you can go off of that. I really dont get any complaints about the cost, i let the customer know ahead of time how much work is involved, and that if you do a rush job, your putting your life at risk...

http://www.jmfabrications.com/chassis.html

Jim
                  Lincoln Precision TIG 375
                  Lincoln Power MIG 255
                  Lincoln Pro Cut 80
                  Miller Elite Red Flame

Comment

Working...
                  X