Cleaning flamable liquid containers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garagegadgets,
    Do you really leak test with pressureized air first? It seems to me that if a crack was to form, or worse yet a weld failed, you would end up with a bomb. I would think that is why they Hydro test tanks, probably because the potiental energy of uncompressible liquid is low relative to that of a compressible gas. Just a thought. Maybe you want to use water instead (although cleanup could be a bigger problem, and the pressure won't be as high as with air).
    Joshua

Comment

Originally posted by jolane
      Garagegadgets,
      Do you really leak test with pressureized air first? It seems to me that if a crack was to form, or worse yet a weld failed, you would end up with a bomb. I would think that is why they Hydro test tanks, probably because the potiental energy of uncompressible liquid is low relative to that of a compressible gas. Just a thought. Maybe you want to use water instead (although cleanup could be a bigger problem, and the pressure won't be as high as with air).
      Joshua

Joshua, when I pressurize a tank I use between 1 and 3 psi of air depending on the size of the tank. There are some tanks that are not removable and some are to large to be moved. Try filling a thousand gallon fuel tank with water only to have to drain it because you have a pin hole in your weld from a piece of contamination. You have to use common sense when your working with this kind of stuff or you will not be around long to talk about it.

Comment

Working...
      X