poor weld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poor weld

Let me throw this out there.I have a miller vintage mig machine.on going problems ,usally use .035 wire and argon/co2 gas.one minute i can lay down great beads and with no changes suddenly crap ...wire burning with no sound,lump of weld.checked grounds ,roller tension new tips and even a new liner.Recently set up for .023 new rollers ,cable liner and same thing ,popping and spitting weld good for a few inch and then crap.been back for repair four times changed circuit boards ,changed ground cable.Is this maybe not one of millers best. have had good luck with all of millers other products any other ideas thanks

Bill,

I have never heard of a problem with the Vintage. I would wait until Monday and post this at Hobart Weld Talk. Seems more of the Miller/Hobart tech guys watch that site.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/

Comment

I would check your shielding gas flow, what you are describing sounds like an intermittent gas flow problem.

Comment

I have own a Vintage since 1995 and so far I have had no problems with the machine. I did have a problem with the wire slipping when I installed one of those wire wipes, I took it off and problem went away.Try switching the wire control switch that is in the wire compartment to the other position and adjust the front speed control to compensate the change and see if that might help. Also previously stated check gas flow. If your wire has any surface rust on it, it can also give you that problem.

Comment

thanks everyone,please keep the ideas coming.....will be checking flow on monday.wire is brand new and clean,didn`t mention on higher setting problem is not as bad.

Comment

bill, got a miller 250 kinda doing the same thing but think most of mine was due to rusty wire. builds up in your liner an clogs it up, ya can see it when ya take it apart, ya didn't mention porosity so i don't think it can be a gas problem,,, i have a shop in south tx. humidity plays **** with the wire sometimes,,, i think the wipers an the oil helps,,, it seems like when it starts actin like yours i can take it apart and blow it out and it'll be ok for a while,,, just trying to use up the wire,,, when it's gone i'll put in a new liner an see what happens,,,later,,,

Comment

Sounds like you may have a bad gun or a gas leak after your solinoid. Anywhere that gas leaks, outside air is getting in. So if you move your gun one way or the other and suddenly your weld is hideous, then it is quite likely that your gun has pulled out of the input or output end harness. This is a common complaint especially if the person doing the welding tends to drag the machine around by the whip instead of physically moving the machine by hand.

You'll need the gun repaired, or replaced if this is the case.

Comment

It may be you have twist in your wire and it labors as it is fed through the liner of your gun. Sometimes you can feel it while you are welding in the gun handle in severe conditions. It causes erratic feeding and thus erratic welding problems.

When all of the most common possible causes are checked you might want to try another spool and or brand of wire to see if it corrects the problem. If everything you try fails, call out your regional trouble-shooter, they are hands on type guy’s and usually can have you up and running in no time.

Comment

thanks guys for all the input.like i said new wire and new cable liner.most times when i talk to my welding reps the all what me to leave the machine.they always seem to find something wrong (or at least something to charge me for).

Comment

Heres something else you might try,take a voltmeter set it for about 40 volts DC and attach the leads to the postive & negative terminals in the wire compartment have someone watch the meter while your welding to see if the voltage is dropping off while your in the middle of your welding.This should tell you if there is a problem in the machine.Remember that the Vintage has a soft start until the arc is fully establish.Try this in each of the power tap setting, the voltage should be different in each.Your owners manual should tell you what the DC output voltage should be in each tap position.Your problem could just be a loose connection and it could be changing the resistance when current is passing through it .The meter test should show this. This would the same as having a bad terminal connection on your car battery. Hope this might help and possibility save you another repair bill.

Comment

Most likely it's a bad contactor. It makes a good connection for a few seconds and then the pitted contacts get hot and you lose most of your power to the gun.

A-

Comment

Again thanks for all the ideas,have been out of the shop will try them and let every body know the results

Comment

well it seems that the gauge on my bottle was way off,much better,sometime it is the simple stuff,thanks all ....Bill

Comment

Working...
                          X