Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike W
    replied
    I use pure on a Sync 250. I grind a taper and if I don't use too many amps, the tip will stay at a half ball. Hi joewelder, I have run into you somewhere before.

Leave a comment:

• joewelder
    replied
    Originally posted by burninbriar
    Cool,I've been thinking about useing a larger diameter tungsten like you mentioned.The only downfall I can find from researching this would be harder arc starting.
    Did not have a problem with the Sync 350, haven't tried it on my 180SD at the shop yet. Haven't ordered the Dynasty 300 .... yet.

Leave a comment:

• burninbriar
    replied
    Cool,I've been thinking about useing a larger diameter tungsten like you mentioned.The only downfall I can find from researching this would be harder arc starting.

Leave a comment:

• joewelder
    replied
    Originally posted by Terence638
    I was using pure tungsten for the longest time (still am) but Hawk at this site stronly urged me to go for the ZIRTUNG Ive got a box but havent used it yet ,all aluminum also with the Syncro 250DX.
    Terence
    That is me too. I have a length of Zirc to try haven't had the time yet. I was up in Appleton, Friday. Trying to decide on my next upgrade, Syncro 350 or Dynasty 300. Dave Fisher (Miller Engineer) showed me something new. I was playing on .125 aluminum, ~150 amps. He ground a large flat on a peice of 1/8" ceriated tung; maybe 3/64-1/16 across. In theory the larger diameter tung can handle the amp in AC and act as a heat sink and the larger flat made a slight ball; it worked sweet!

Just my 2 cents....

Leave a comment:

• burninbriar
    replied
    Acording to my charts 250 amps is pushing the limit of 1/8" tungsten on ac.Ive noticed interesting diferencs between tungsten types.For example on steel the ceriated seems to out perform thoriated at lower amp and I get oposit results at higher amps.I want to try lanthiated but I have them on order.Can't get anything but thoriated and pure locally.

Leave a comment:

• outlaw
    replied
    we use pure and just lately some brown ( ceriated),,, welding 1/4 in. aluminum @ 250 amps,,, argon gas,,, cleaning action @ midway,,, tungsten get so hot the end of it melts off,,, using 1/8 brown tungsten which be able to handle the heat,,, quess we need to go to 5/32 zerconiated??? any other suggestions,,, anyway the 1/8 brown works good for us till we turn the heat up,,, later,,,outlaw...

Leave a comment:

• burninbriar
    replied
    I definately want to try the zirconiated.I'm glad to know it wasn't my immagination,(its been known to wonder off in its own odyssey).

Leave a comment:

• Terence638
    replied
    I was using pure tungsten for the longest time (still am) but Hawk at this site stronly urged me to go for the ZIRTUNG Ive got a box but havent used it yet ,all aluminum also with the Syncro 250DX.
    Terence

Leave a comment:

• joebass
    replied
    I have used Ceriated with a Syncrowave 250 on aluminum. It works pretty well. Infact the teachers at the Votech school teach the students to use 3/32 Ceriated on everything they do at the school.

Leave a comment:

• KB Fabrications
    replied
    I would have to concur with tooldude56 about zirconium tungsten for aluminum, especially on transformer based machines. It balls up nicely, produces a nice arc, and will make you wonder how you ever welded aluminum without it.

Check these guys out: http://www.diamondground.com

Good prices, fast delivery, and quality tungsten. Also lots of good information you may find useful.

Leave a comment:

• tooldude56
    replied
    I have been using ceriated and zerconiated tungsten on my 350LX syncrowave,for some time now.I use zerconiated for aluminum only and have used ceriated for aluminum,steel,stainless and cast iron,with great success.I notice some improvements over pure tungsten,especialy in tungsten life.Good luck.
    tooldude56

Leave a comment:

• burninbriar
    started a topic ceriated vs pure tungsten for aluminum

ceriated vs pure tungsten for aluminum

I have been experimenting with different tungsten with my Syncrowave 250 and came up with results contrary to what I've been reading.Bear in mind my supplyer has not yet gotten me what I want to make good comparisons.My machine came with ceriated tungston and my supplyer only carries a small supply of thoriated and pure.My supplyer and my research indicates I should be useing pure tungsten for aluminum.I seemed to have best results with the ceriated,evan though the electrode was larger dia. than recomended.I did see where pure tungsten is not recomended for Dynasty machines but didn't think that pertained to my Syncrowave.The ceriated seems to work good on evey thing,but they seem hard to find.I need to see if my supplyer will speicial order them.Again,since I don't have various tungsten of the same diameter yet its hard to make acurate comparisons.I have tungsten on order for a week now.Basicly I'm wondering what success others have with ceriated vs pure on thin guage aluminum. 030-090.
    Pete
Working...
X