AC Hertz control advantages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Hertz control advantages

I am relatively new to this site, and have read quite a few posts concerning bead shaping while welding aluminum with the newer machines (inverters). Most offer not only control over + and - balance of the AC square wave but also the power to alter the normal 60 Hertz input to a variable Hertz on the output side of the machine, thus arc shaping.

I bought my Lincoln Square Wave Tig 355 in 1995. Correct me if I am wrong, Miller came out just after that period of time with the Aerowave which had the adjustable Hz. output and an extra $3000.00 list price.

My questions are, what am I missing without the ‘arc shaping’ capability of the newer machines? What is the realistic advantage, or benefit you gain from having this control?

I am interested in your experiences when this feature has come in handy or as a necessity.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Reducing the frequency will spread the arc, and increasing the frequency will narrow the arc allowing more penetration with less HAZ.

Comment

Originally posted by pjseaman
      Reducing the frequency will spread the arc, and increasing the frequency will narrow the arc allowing more penetration with less HAZ.
      pjs,

I understand your post, HAZ is an important consideration especially with aluminum. What I do not grasp is what am I missing out on, or limited to, because I do not have a Hertz control on my machine?

Where have you found, to employ Hz. adjustment to be necessary over a conventional square wave machine? Is it simply a user friendly convenience or a direct benefit to a quality weld?

Comment

VBI: If you needed to rebuild an edge and wanted a really narrow beat to square the edge you could do a regular build pass and increase the Htz and put down the final weld to finish the corner{outside corner**.

At the PRI show I saw ANDY demo this feature very well, he actually put a bead on the edge of a piece of aluminum {14ga I think**, I am not that able, but It is nice to see the potential, even if I can't do it yet!

At PRI a pro aluminum welder sat down and welded a few beads and ANDY started showing him the features of the dynasty. The man was so impressed he said "wrap it up, I'll take it" and he had a shop full of syncro's already.

Peace,

Comment

Thanks Paul, don't you see my signature,"saving for dyn 300".. The wrap it up really tells me how great these machines are, especially coming from a pro. Take care.

Comment

Another benefit is that when using a blend with a high Helium content, you can crank up the frequency to thin the bead giving a mch faster travel speed.

Comment

rb455HO:
              You will love it especially comparing it side by side with a syncro. Don't get me wrong the syncro is a fantastic machine but this is a new world with inverter technology! Both machines have their places but in another 15 years they will likely be extinct.

Comment

Working...
              X