antique tool collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antique tool collection

I've had a brand new Syncrowave 250 sitting in my shop over two weeks waiting for my electrical supplyer to get me a 125 amp breaker.Just got it today.Primed the cooler and took off.WOW pretty groovy man.I think its time to retire the old acetaline torch to my antique collection.WHAT A DIFFERANCE.So far I've just been welding thin guage steel with no filler.I think I might also retire my old rock hard gloves and put an autodakening helmet on the wish list.I've been working with primative tools for so long I don't know how to act.Problem is now I want a plasma cutter and I spent all my money on the welder.Oh well.
    Pete
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Pete,

Congratulations on your new Syncrowave! It is a very nice machine. I know how you feel. I sold my O/A rig several years ago after picking up plasma. I have gotten out of the mobile repair business and did not see the need for the torches collecting dust in the shop.

Comment

I am sure you will enjoy your new syn 250. Plasma is the only way to go.

Comment

Hawk,

I don't think I could ever go that far as to sell my torches, in fact I doubt that I could live without them. I do all of my own car repairs and when I get a stubborn bolt that's rusted the torches are the best way to get it un stuck. We even use them to get my brother's stubborn diesel tractor started in the winter, I tried to get him to not use ether to start it but he wouldn't listen now it's all you can do to start it in the summer without ether. But what do you expect he's a CPA and doesn't understand what ether does to the engine, just squirt some in and crank and if it don't start squirt some more in.

Granted plas-arc makes a much nicer cut with less dross and distortion but what do you do if you need to heat a piece of metal up to bend it just a little? Hopefully the financial tables will turn soon and I can afford a plas-arc along with a long list of other "toys". But for now I use what I have and wish for the rest.

Blondie
        Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
        Miller 340A/BP
        Victor O/A torches
        Lincoln SP125
        Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
        78 GS1000
        82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

Blondie,

I have access to torches at the farm a mile down the road. There are several sets at my buddy's shop as well. I just don't need another $500+ in cart, torch, and bottles sitting here in a residential area.

I use a plumber type set up with MAP gas for small jobs. It hits 2700 degress F give or take by the IR thermometer. It is a handy set up and serves a dual purpose for sweating 3/4" and 1" M, L, & K hard copper.

When the real need for a torch arises I usually have advacned notice for the job or jobs and will pick up a torch at the farm or borrow from the big shop or sometimes the contractor yard (my neighbors shop storage). I must admit a small set up with a couple of 40CF bottles would be handy. Somehow luck has been with me and the hydraulic jack set has helped out as well.

Comment

Hawk,

My brother got a set last year for Christmas you see them in Lowes and I think Home Depot as well. It has small bottles in a blow molded carrying case, and I hate to admit it but there have been a few times when I have actually borrowed them from him. They're sure easier to carry to the bone yard to torch out a needed part than it is to break down my big tanks and load them in the truck then put them back together and try to drag them through the ruts and then back again. I guess if worse came to worse and I had to downsize that far I could survive with a small set like that. His are Harris and I've seen them in Victor also but can't remember where. Both Lowes and Home Depot carry Lincoln welders and since Lincoln now owns Harris I guess it stands to reason that they wouldn't carry Victor which are my preference (probably because that's what I learned on).

The MAPP rig you mentioned is it a gas only or does it use Oxy as well? I've seen a few plumbers have a propane only torch and it got rather hot as propane torches go. It's good that you have so many sources that you can borrow from but in my case I have more tools and equipment than anyone I know so anything my friends or whatever have I had before they did.

Blondie
            Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
            Miller 340A/BP
            Victor O/A torches
            Lincoln SP125
            Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
            78 GS1000
            82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

I bought my OA set for my 16th birthday present to myself, 21 years later still got them and use them mostly to disassemble stubborn vehicle parts, but occasionally I need to cut I beam and it is so nice to know its there! This is a yes I got one, type of thing. I am the toolman, I have one of everything and two of most things, and I like it that way!

Peace,

Comment

Blondie,

MAPP GAS

Thanks for the tip! I rented a set like that once. I was used to a large set and blew out my gas in nothing flat. Fortunately I had 3 spare oxygen bottles and 2 acetylene bottles for the little torch. I really liked it!

My plumbers torch uses propane or MAPP. Just one bottle-no O2. I use MAPP gas. It burns considerably hotter than propane. You can buy it at home depot or lowes.

Comment

I may not have been very clear.I'm keeping my burning outfit,its the OA welding I'm retireing.Just got in from playing with the tig.The thing is awsome.I was welding .030 SS and .030 MS and .040 AL.The mild steel wet great and the stainless fair. The alluminum melted both edges nice and clean but I couldn't get it to fuse together.Seems like it needs filler rod to assist it?
                  To all who contribute to this board.
                  My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                  Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                  Miller Syncrowave 250
                  Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Working...
                  X