Water cooler on 2005 model Syncrowave 250DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water cooler on 2005 model Syncrowave 250DX

I am considering purchasing a Syncrowave 250DX without the internal water cooler initially to keep the cost down. I plan on adding the water cooler within 6 months or so as the need for more amperage increases (over 150 to 180 amps) and money allows. Can I purchase and field install the internal cooler or will I have to go with an external cooler?

Good question!

You would have to get an external unit.

A-

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

Performance wise, is the internal cooler any better than an external cooler like the Coolmate 3, Coolmate 3x, or Coolmate V3? Other than cosmetically, would it be worth my while to wait and purchase the Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner package complete with the internal cooler?

Comment

NorthernLights,

If you opt for an external cooler at some point in time, keep me in mind. I have a Coolmate 4 in very nice condition that needs a good home. It is next to the V3 near the page bottom.

Comment

I will say the new tigrunner sure is a well designed setup. I looked at a new one when I bought my Thermal tsw 300. It was not in the mix for me, because inverter just flat weld better. It sure was tempting though. Very small floor space for a standard 300 amp machine. I liked the layout better than a separate type unit. Very neat and tidy.

Comment

The Syncrowave 250 Tigrunner tempted me right into buying it.Unfortunately I'm all ready to go except for the 125 amp breaker on order has not arrived yet so I'm here typing instead welding.Realy looking forward to trying it out.
            To all who contribute to this board.
            My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
            Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
            Miller Syncrowave 250
            Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Good idea to plan on see if the larger breaker is available locally. I also guess I didn't realize the machine would need a 125 amp breaker. I saw the 96 amps input draw on 230 Volts at 250 amps output without the PFC. I was also thinking of adding the PFC to drop the input draw down to 71 amps. I was only planning on running a 100 amp panel to my garage.

I may end up going with an inverter TIG machine to help with the power consumption. I think I'll download the manuals from the Sycrowave 250 & 180 and also the Dynasty 200 DX to read tonight.

Comment

My breaker is ordered from my local electric supplyer.I thought I had every thing planned ahead of time but I over looked one thing.I planned on useing plug so I could unplug it and wheel it away when not in use.It turns out that a plug and recepticle to handle that amperage runs in the neiborhood of $300.00.I ended up hardwireing it to a disconnect switch.Nothing I can't get over.
                Can anyone tell me why my posts all have a pair of scissors precariously placed beneath them?
                pete

Pureox OA
                Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Scissors? I don't see any. Power factor capacitors have one drawback, your idle current will be around 50 amps. I don't know why they can't be switched in when the arc is started.

Edit to say the sissors are for editing your post, just noticed them.

Comment

With the power factor correctoin the fuse size drops to 80 amp and wire size can be dropped to 8 guage at 230 V input.I'm confused weather that is the intended purpose,or if its designed for running full bore.It seems to me that I would not see any electric saveing with a lot of idle time witch I know I'll have.

Pureox OA
                    Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Water Cooler

You got to take in mind that if you don,t get a water cooler you will have to buy a air cooled tig torch . Which also means when you get the cooler you will need to buy a water cooled tig torch.

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar
                        The Syncrowave 250 Tigrunner tempted me right into buying it.Unfortunately I'm all ready to go except for the 125 amp breaker on order has not arrived yet so I'm here typing instead welding.Realy looking forward to trying it out.
                        Pete

Iv'e had a Syncrowave 250 for about 12 years, and its always been direct wired to a 70amp breaker. It's always worked flawless, maybe I've been lucky.

Pete

Comment

I've been running a red tig275 off of a 60amp breaker for a couple years now. tapped into the a/c circuit that wasn't being used. I've had it up to 145 amp DC and haven't tripped the breaker yet. A LOT of work to wire it properly not to mention expensive. I did make up a cord from building wire with a plug then ran it around the outside of the foundation that gets me to the driveway. It goes into a 100 amp breaker, I have never had to use it, but will be in a month or two when I weld down the manhole cover in front of the house (that's a whole nuther story). I believe the manual calls for a 125a breaker. From what I can tell the deal with the pfc caps is that they are efficient at basically one power setting, normally at full rated power output. That's why at idle the machine draws so much power, it's now working against the caps. It's my understanding that because it's an induction problem and the way the electric meter is designed, the power co. can't see all amps you are using and therefore are not charging you for all of them. The caps balance out the induction. If they find out they might make you install the caps. If all this is true then the only thing the caps do is allow you to use a smaller breaker/wire, no real electric bill savings. I plan on saving up for the pulse board instead the caps. Also, if you look around for surplus caps you supposedly can get them for a fraction of the price that Miller or Lincoln want for them.

Comment

I was concidering the use of a smaller breaker since I don't think I will be going much over 150 amp output in this shop.Insureance is one of my concerns,the other is will I remember the smaller breaker if I start pushing it harder in the future.
                            Pete

Pureox OA
                            Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Working...
                            X