X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine capacity

MILLERMATIC - 175
    SPECTRUM - 125C

Would the above mig weld and cut 3/16 mild steel without a problem? occasional 1/4 inch plate only about 3" long. Can I get an m-10 mig gun cable longer than 10 feet?

Thanks,
    Lance

I'd think the 175 could weld 3/16" with out a problem. Heck, I welded a 1/4" reinforcement to a 1/2" base (with proper bevel and preheat and multipass) with a 135 about 2 years ago, and it's still holding..
    -Tanner

Comment

Lance,
      The MM175 is ok for ya but the Spectrum 125 is a bit light for your needs.
      You can get M10-M15 type guns up to 15 ft. Don't think I'd go that far with the smaller drive assembly the MM175 has. 12 would be ok.

Andy

Comment

Will the 125 be o.k. for 3/16 mild steel because all of my 1/4 inch is cut on a water jet forgot to say that sorry.

Thanks.
        Lance

Comment

The 125's rated for "quality" cuts on 3/16.

Hank
          ...from the Gadget Garage
          Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
          Handler 210 w/DP3035
          TA185TSW
          Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

spec. 125C

i have the 125C and have been verry happy with it. you will ofcorse be on the high end of its rating so speed would not be your frend. it would cut it but if it is youre main cut i would jump up to the spec 375 you will save $$$ in the long run on consumables as they are cheaper for the spec375 then they are for the spec 125 if i had known thet befor i purchased i might have gone with the 375. well that is provided you have an air compresser to provide air.
            i will say the spec125C is verry portable as all you need is a med. sized generator and you are good to go.
            you can cut 3/16th with it just dont be in a great hurry and you will need to controle youre stand off i dont think the drag tip would do it. that being said i almost never use the drag tip any way as i prefer the controle of frehanding.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Thanks for all the advice it was very helpfull. I have a MM250-syncrowave250 and a bigger plasma but it's not blue so I wont talk about it . I am trying to set up in my garage to do air bag work my other shop is just too full of stuff to do anymore projects in.

Comment

Okay I can't decide what would be the smallest machines for 1/4" mild steel. I dont want to get something that I wont be happy with. I would prefer to just save some more money. So give your finel advice and I will take no matter how much it hurts my wallet

Thanks
                Lance

Comment

To weld 1/4" and feel confident that it's solid and safe,
                  MM210.

Comment

Thanks how about the plasma

Thanks
                    Lance

Comment

I humbly submit that the MM175 will weld .250 all day with .030 and C-25, and the welds will be structurally sound, if the weldor is!

Hank
                      ...from the Gadget Garage
                      Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
                      Handler 210 w/DP3035
                      TA185TSW
                      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

1/4"

MM175 and a spec.375 should do ya.

thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

Hank,

I think migmaniac is saying the 210 will do 1/4" mild steel with ease and no worry of beveling or over-working the unit.

I can see your point the MM175 will do 1/4 " with the proper joint prep and operator. However, if it is the 1/4" plate and tube trailer hitch insert or receiver on my truck I would want it welded with the MM210 not the MM175. One point that's easy to forget: As weldment size increases so does the required amperage for the same thickness and size material.

I have to go with migmaniac on the 210 for 1/4" mild steel.

Comment

As bad as I want to not have to spend the extra money I think I will get the 210 being that it is also for rear 4-link tabs safety first I am sure I could do it with the 175 but why.

Thanks
                            Big Tat

Comment

For critical 1/4" applications- MM 210 or larger.

The MM 175 will handle 1/4" in non critical applications. However the MM 210 still has a far superior duty cycle. For critical applications with the MM 175 3/16" is the upper limit.

Comment

Working...
                              X