Beware of the Pipepro 304!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coalsmoke
    Glad you got the problem all straightened out. Its hard to tell from the photo, but is the front of the machine right up against the side of the truck bed? If so, that 4 inch of lift will possibly expose a few more air intake louvers. Maybe that's what they were thinking
    There is enough clearance at the controls and connecters to put your hand to the bottom front and back. I think the truck box is exactly 5 ft wide. the side of the machine is a 1/4 inch from the front of the truck box. And yes the rise of the welder on the skid has made all colling louvers completly clear of the truck box. I will take more pictures at work and some of the others skids and decks fro, the other welders as well, then you can see how my whole thing works, ifany one is interested. Preferably I would like to have an aluminium deck but that's $$$$$$ for now.
    www.palmtreewelder.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stick rod
      Palmtreez,
      Nice looking rig you got there.What kind of work lights are those mounted on your boxes?Been looking for something like that here but are kinda hard to find what I want.
      The lights are cheapies from the electrical supplier. they came as a box light 500watts and the swivel bottom. Then you buy the junction aluminium thing and some prethreaded 1/2 inch aluminium pipe all from the supplier. I had no luck getting this stuff from Home Depot or any other hardware store. I had to go the electrical supplier, where the electricians go, and the guy behind the counter knew exactly what I wanted and he had me out of there in a few minutes. You'll notice on the Miller that there is a 50 amp plug for the plasma cutter, if somebody wanted to get one. Well, I'm thinking of a plug and 2-4 110 volt outlets connected to it. That way, if there ever was a time, in an emergency for instance, where I just needed all the power from my machine for a whole bunch of lights or something, I coud utiliize all the 10,000 watts. You should see the looks I'm getting form evey one trying to explain that..I'll keep you posted when i find an electrician who understands wht it is I'm tryin to do.
      www.palmtreewelder.com

Comment

Hi Palmtreez I think it was 1998 I rented 5 or 6 of those Red D Arcs welding machines. We were driving and splicing H-pile. I never ran one, but the guys, and one-girl weldors I had just loved them. They thought they were the best things since chocolate ice cream. I left that job headed to CA for another welding project. Which was about 4-times the duration. I tried to buy the Red D Arcs, but at that time they were rental fleet only in this country, so I bought 4 or 5 Lincoln Commanders. I wonder if things have changed and one could buy a Red D Arc now?

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck
          Hi Palmtreez I think it was 1998 I rented 5 or 6 of those Red D Arcs welding machines. We were driving and splicing H-pile. I never ran one, but the guys, and one-girl weldors I had just loved them. They thought they were the best things since chocolate ice cream. I left that job headed to CA for another welding project. Which was about 4-times the duration. I tried to buy the Red D Arcs, but at that time they were rental fleet only in this country, so I bought 4 or 5 Lincoln Commanders. I wonder if things have changed and one could buy a Red D Arc now?
          I could've bought a new one but they said the tax write-off is better with a rental and after 3 years or when ever just return it and get a knew one. Lots of welders I know have spent a small fortune rebuilding their machines after 6000 hours only to end up with a used welder. the Red D Arc rental is only month to month you aren't tied in to a lease deal. At least up here that's the way it works..incredibly flexible if you ask me.
          www.palmtreewelder.com

Comment

really a miller

pilebuck i have seen red-d arc machines on the job if you look closely at one its a miller with different decals in it there is the miller name on it in small print as i was looking at one about a month and a half ago i noticed it looked alot like a big blue after a close look it was a miller machine w/ new decals. I believe they buy direct andy maybe able to confirm this but i saw the miller name on this unit.
            BB402D
            TB300D
            DIMENSION652
            MM250X
            MAXSTAR140
            S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
            HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Originally posted by admweld
              i have seen red-d arc machines on the job if you look closely at one its a miller with different decals in it there is the miller name on it in small print as i was looking at one about a month and a half ago i noticed it looked alot like a big blue after a close look it was a miller machine w/ new decals. I believe they buy direct andy maybe able to confirm this but i saw the miller name on this unit.
              Yes, that what mine is .., a Miller, says right on the tag. . and the 3+3's are Linclons. I asked the rep about that and I said I should just go buy a Lincoln and he said "No.., Red D Arc triple coats the diodes and makes them tough for the rental market." Well maybe he was just handing me a load too! I just like the rental arrangement. They basically turned me loose with a brand new machine with no money down and if the boom ends sooner than I expect I'm not stuck with a $14,000.00 paper wieght. They get themachine back. Simple.
              www.palmtreewelder.com

Comment

Palmtreez,
                Thanks for the light info.I know I would enjoy seeing how your truck is set up so post them pic`s.Always looking for different or efficient ways to set things up.I`v used different peoples ideas in setting up my rig and still like to change things if I see something I like better.

Comment

My Airgas dealer here sells Lincolns, but prefers Millers. He only has a few Lincolns on the floor, but a LOT of Millers. Anyway, when I was in there last week, he gave me a Red-D-Arc brochure. Apparently, they are rentals, but they sell the used ones after three years in the rental fleets or something like that. He gave me a list of what units (Red-D-Arcs and OLD Millers) were currently for sale across the country. The prices seemed rather high for old used equipment; especially outdated Miller plasma cutters.

Comment

Miller Tech support

Well I am a little late on this one. I just came across this thread, and it took me a while to read . Anyways, I am far from a pro welder as most of you here. I just work on my own projects in my garage. I have a Millermatic 210, syncrowave 180 and a spectrum 300 plasma. I have also had older miller products before these. I have never had a problem with anything all these years until the plasma. I contacted miller via email to get help in fixing it since it was out of warranty. Miller tech support returned my email VERY fast! Within a couple hrs. They answered ALL OF MY MANY questions very fast, right down to identifying individual components on the PCB's. The Miller tech went out of his way to help me out. With his generous help I was able to fix this machine. Without him I would no longer have a plasma, as I could not justify buying a new one or paying someone to repair it. This is a hobby for me, I make no money from it. I don't know what all this ITW?? stuff is, but I received TOP NOTCH support! I am glad I have been a loyal miller customer, it definately paid off!

THANK-YOU Miller keep up the GREAT work!!

scott

Comment

• Yes..about the used welding machines. Up here they are so ridiculously priced it makes no sense what so ever to buy one when one is available. There are a few on the web in Canada from time to time from Red D Arc, but, who would buy a used rental of a welding machine. If you could see what I have, what's done to those poor machines up here in northern Canada...well I have to laugh when I see them for sale . Sometimes the machine are started and never used. It's a teamsters job to start the machine -40 or not..get out the ether and get her going. It may not even get used it's just on his list to start up for that day and it will get fueled and shutdown at the the end of the day used or not. I've seen machines sit running with no one using it for weeks. That's the life of a welding machine in the great white north oilsands.
                      www.palmtreewelder.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                        Hmmmm,,, I have never had a warranty claim on a Lincoln, hahahahahaha
                        I havent.....

Comment

• pic

Originally posted by Palmtreez View Post
                          Yes..about the used welding machines. Up here they are so ridiculously priced it makes no sense what so ever to buy one when one is available. There are a few on the web in Canada from time to time from Red D Arc, but, who would buy a used rental of a welding machine. If you could see what I have, what's done to those poor machines up here in northern Canada...well I have to laugh when I see them for sale . Sometimes the machine are started and never used. It's a teamsters job to start the machine -40 or not..get out the ether and get her going. It may not even get used it's just on his list to start up for that day and it will get fueled and shutdown at the the end of the day used or not. I've seen machines sit running with no one using it for weeks. That's the life of a welding machine in the great white north oilsands.
                          I went to your site and all I saw wasyour holiday pictures am I missing something?

Comment

• Originally posted by tackit View Post
                            Speaks poorly of Miller when you have to buy two machines to make sure you have one running, I would imagine pipeliners know their equipment well and don't mind spending thousands of dollars buying it, expecting it to run is not a character flaw.

VBI if it was you in trouble you be crying the loudest, I've seen it a thousand a times, brown not blue is the color in your post.
                            Most of these guys on this board DON"T understand the pipeline/ pipeliner job status. I've been welding for a living in the refineries and fab shops since '67, the Miller plug in mach.'s have been top notch, ie: synchrowaves, short-arcs mach. is all we ever bought in the most cheapest run shops there was, I mean these people through nickel's around like they were man hole covers.
                            They wouldn't have anything that wouldn't run 7-24 and the miller mach's clocked many an hour before needing maintenence.

But now to the motor driven rigs-- the top choice of the pipeliners was a SA 200 lincoln and these guys worked 7 whatever's until the line was in the ground and tested. I never seen a Miller on a pipeliner rig, but during the 90's sometime Lincoln had a issue with their quality. Welding suppliers almost quit selling them because of this.

I can fully understand the post originator frustration with his Miller mach, read my post I posted a couple days ago about my Trailblazer, 120hrs. , this is my home use machine, sits in the garage with the cover on it,,, holy smokes, you can't protect a mach. more than that. No worky----

Ditto for my friend, he bought a Trailblazer because of mine, which makes his newer, his has about 250hrs and is broke down for the second time-----this time for $1100.00 worth of parts, his also is garage kept and covered,----this is BS

Bashing Miller, maybe, but being in the industry longer than most of the guys are old on this board, I've seen alot, this should not happen under normal wear.
                            pull-do

Comment

• I dont remember what board it was on, maybe the aws board but welding wagons pipe pro was being messed with when he was out of sight on the job. I remember this one because this was happening just a couple miles up the road from here.

Comment

• There's another thread on this board too that explains what happened to Welding Wagon's Pipe Pro. It was sabotaged by other workers.

Comment

Working...
                                X