Beware of the Pipepro 304!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cruizer
    To be honest, more pipe welders and presure welders in Oil rich Alberta, run the 305G and Vantage diesels 10:2 compared to the Miller.

In the rumour mill there is a turbo kit comming in for the Vantage both as an optional kit for the Vantage 300 and a factory installed version rebadging the Vantage 300 to Vantage 400.

These units have Chopper Technology, thuis provide a straight line DC arc, (very smooth weld) and weld very simular to the Pipepro without all the Pipepro hassles and cost.
    The rumor mill as to what a vantage 400 is--- isn't quite right. We just bought one. It is in the same case as the vantage 300 but weighs a couple hunderd pounds more, and is powered by a Perkins 404C-22 which I believe is the same engine offered as one of the options on the BB 400.

I has what lincoln calls an Arcforce adjustment--- continiouslyl adjustible-- similar to what Miller calls a Dig adjustment on the TB.

We have had blue boxes for years (and still so), but the stainless box won out
    over a BB400 based on their claims fo 19kw 3 phase power--much more than
    promised by Miller from the BB400.---a capability that drove our buying decision.
    rvannatta
    www.vannattabros.com
    Miller Bobcat 225G
    Miller Big 40 ('79 gasser)<gone>
    Miller 375 Plasma cutter<gone>
    Lincoln Vantage 400
    Lincoln Pro-Cut 80

Comment

I bought one of the first Pipe Pro's back in 2000, I have about 1900 hrs on mine and am fairly happy with it, its only broke down one time, who ever preped my machine put straight antifreeze in it and the engine guy said it caused a problem with the thermostat and automatically shut the machine down. My buddy Vern has had a few problems with his over the years. his control knob got stiff and was unturnable.
      My complaint with mine is that when starting it I have to keep the starter engaged longer than normal for enouph oil pressure to be sensed or it shuts down and then you have to hurry up and hit it again and then it will stay running.
      My other complaint is that it has a bad arc characteristic when trying to mig weld 12 gauge or lighter. Other than those two little minor complaints this is an excellent welder.

Comment

New Miller 300 already acting up!!

I just picked up a Miller 300 with a Kubota diesel. I'm working with other welders in a shop all of which have 10 year old Lincolns on there trucks. So, today we got some 3/16 out and some 1/4 inch to compare machines and to my surprise when my machine tried to burn the 3/16 the diesel was surging up and down and when we tried the 1/4 it was really surging badly. This from a machine with only 62 hours on it.
        Any suggestions besides the air filter and fuel filter..seems this problem is a little deeper than that..
        so far not to impressed with Miller and no one trusts Miler in our neck of the woods either but I just leased it so I can dump it if I'm not satisfied. Trouble is, now I have to deal with a problem .., which could be devasting if I was up in the boonies...I need reliable equipment bar none....
        Any one have this happen to them? The surging thing I mean.
        www.palmtreewelder.com

Comment

7018..but the other welders and myself have come to conclusion especially after trying it again this a.m. that it must be returned to the shop. And I've made an appointment tomorrow (Fri ) to have it checked out.
          Thanks for the reply though.
          www.palmtreewelder.com

Comment

Originally posted by ShieldArc
            We're still waiting..hehe
            And waiting,and waiting,andwaiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick rod
              YEAH where is welding wagon?
              Hawk, don`t keep us in suspence to long!
              Weldingwagon had all his equipment for sale on Feb 19. He said he was leaving the business. (posted on AWS for sale board)
              Jeff

Comment

Jhall,
                I was unaware of that.Thank you for pointing that out.

Comment

Ok, now I'm confused...which machine does Palmtreez have? The only new model 300 is the Pro 300. A 410 amp machine, but a CAT diesel. The others are 302, 304 and 350, all with Kubotas, but not 300. One at 300a, one at 350a and one at 400a....which is it?
                  Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                  '06 12RC feeder
                  Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                  Esab Multimaster 260
                  Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

problem solved..

Took the machine back to Red d Arc this morning and it runs like a charm loaded up to 409 amps on their load bank. Machine has a capacity to run out at 409 amps at 30% duty cycle. Machine purred like kitten with the load. Problem was my cable reels I have at 100 feet are causing a huge resistance. Techs said it happens all the time with cable reels. I have to cut down the length on the reels and string out most of it when burning big rods to work the macine. Tech said to run a 1/4 rod or 3 every day.., it'ss good for the engine. he said
                    Thanks Red D Arc for the superior service too..they had a replacement ready just in case sitting right at the door.
                    www.palmtreewelder.com

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52
                      Ok, now I'm confused...which machine does Palmtreez have? The only new model 300 is the Pro 300. A 410 amp machine, but a CAT diesel. The others are 302, 304 and 350, all with Kubotas, but not 300. One at 300a, one at 350a and one at 400a....which is it?
                      It's RED D ARC's version of the Miller 300 you can see it on my rig just click on my web link. Red D Arc offers their own version with a Kubota.
                      www.palmtreewelder.com

Comment

Gotcha. Pro 300. Looks like the Miller, just without the happening BLUE color. Nice site and rig, too, btw. I take it you have the machine raised on a platform?
                        Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                        '06 12RC feeder
                        Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                        Esab Multimaster 260
                        Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Im just curious if you always run stick or if you run self shielded flux core as well ?
                          Miller aerowave full feature
                          Lincoln power mig 300 with prince gun
                          dynasty 200 dx
                          lincoln sp 135 plus
                          302 trailblazer
                          s22p12
                          powcon starcut
                          cp 400 metal spray

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52
                            Gotcha. Pro 300. Looks like the Miller, just without the happening BLUE color. Nice site and rig, too, btw. I take it you have the machine raised on a platform?
                            It's up about 4 inches or so I don't know why the guys who helped me put the skid together like that but I didn't see it till it was to late. If there is something worse than paying to have something made, it's got to be paying someone to take it apart and redo it so, I just left it as they made that portion of the skid.
                            www.palmtreewelder.com

Comment

Originally posted by dandimand
                              Im just curious if you always run stick or if you run self shielded flux core as well ?
                              If your talking to me I have so far just run stick and I have to say this machine is smoooth. We are currently into a Shutdown in a furnace welding inconel tubes using a stick inconel root procedure and in this area the miller can go down real low and still maintain a superb smooth constant arc. I have to say I'm thoroughly impressed. My roots are going in with little effort. The Lincolns on the other hand have a bit to much bite causing the guys to struggle with constant under cut. To answer your question ..No ,I haven't run flux core but it is the reason I went to this machine as it was recommended for running flux core by a few pepole using these up in Cold Lake, Alberta.
                              www.palmtreewelder.com

Comment

Palmtreez,
                                Nice looking rig you got there.What kind of work lights are those mounted on your boxes?Been looking for something like that here but are kinda hard to find what I want.

Comment

Working...
                                X