No announcement yet.

Beware of the Pipepro 304!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it true that there is 14 circuit boards in a pipe pro? More? Less? And are they all (vaulted) ????

Comment

The PipePro is essentially an XMT powered by a 3 phase generator with some extra filters on the power supply. All the pcbs are not vaulted in that unit. It has a sealed XMT "module" that maintains a cooling tunnel that separates the pcbs from outside cooling air and contaminants.

b-footn,
      the tank cap is part of the high speed IGBT resonating circuit that when the tank caps fail, they usually fail permanently not in a intermittently. The replacement of the pcb would have nothing to do with the caps and I have replaced many in XMTs without changing the caps. The caps have sense leads on them and the pcb would read them no matter what unless they were not reinstalled correctly.

andy

Comment

GO BLUE!!! (where's my $10 bucks, andy?) ...LOL
        LICENSED ELECTRICIAN
        BAKERY MECHANIC

Comment

pipe Pro Blues(pun intended)

Well, I run a PipePro here in Ontario and I am also a full time distribution pipeline welder and I run mine every day and have had no issues at all and I have approx 2000 hrs. on it. It runs in the rain, snow, dust, mud , and in the extreme heat and humidity we suffered through this summer. It also is outside 100% of the time. I know a welder who runs a Classic 300D and he's had to replace the front seal as it was blowing oil like crazy and it also suffered from major amp spike while welding. Luckily he never burnt through a pressurized main, but its seen its share of repairs also.
          I was hesitant to buy "Blue" because you don't see them on the line here in Ontario at all. As far as I know I'm the only pipeline contractor welder that owns one.
          One of Ontario's major Gas Distribution companies recently purchased a whole fleet of Miller 300 Pro's and after only a few months pulled ALL of them from their rigs(they did not tell their contractors they were not allowed to use them hence mine is still in the system), and the chief welding inspector of Ontario's other distribution company told me about 4 years ago that he would NOT allow anyone to run a Miller in their system.
          You may all like Miller in the shop, but in the pipeline industry they are not highly regarded.

Comment

Don't misunderstand me coalsmoke. Miller is probably the most popular portable welding machine that I see on the back of pick ups. The Bobcat is very popular among the sign installers, overhead door guys, railing installers etc. but I was referring to mainline and distribution pipeline companies.

Comment

...and one more thing, the arc characteristics of the PipePro are simply unbeatable. These machines never break arc when putting in the bead with small 3/32 rod which I use on 1 1/4" pipe and smaller. Every welder in the yard I work out of has used my Pipe Pro when teaming up on a pipe joint and they have ALL said it is a beautiful welder.

Comment

I see you havent welded with a Ranger 305. Its arc is so similar to the pipe pro that i would have to use them side by side for awhile to determine if one was better than the other. The Ranger also has just 1 pcb inside, its trayed and potted so it should be trouble free. I have 2 305G's that ive been using for the last 5yrs and im completely happy with them. The 3 new Trailblazers ive bought in the past had a soft arc whitch was fine for some things but not pipe. There is a night and day difference between a Ranger and a Trailblazer. Maybe the new 302 Trailblazer is improved to match the 305 Ranger but i doubt it because i bought a new Trailblazer every year for 3yrs because the miller literature said improved arc.....Wrong,,,,,they all welded the same.... I know I Know, the new 302 has arc force knob,,,,, well I'll go weld with a new 1 to be fair and open minded and to satisfy my couriosity.

Comment

Originally posted by ShieldArc
                  I see you havent welded with a Ranger 305. Its arc is so similar to the pipe pro that i would have to use them side by side for awhile to determine if one was better than the other. The Ranger also has just 1 pcb inside, its trayed and potted so it should be trouble free. I have 2 305G's that ive been using for the last 5yrs and im completely happy with them. The 3 new Trailblazers ive bought in the past had a soft arc whitch was fine for some things but not pipe. There is a night and day difference between a Ranger and a Trailblazer. Maybe the new 302 Trailblazer is improved to match the 305 Ranger but i doubt it because i bought a new Trailblazer every year for 3yrs because the miller literature said improved arc.....Wrong,,,,,they all welded the same.... I know I Know, the new 302 has arc force knob,,,,, well I'll go weld with a new 1 to be fair and open minded and to satisfy my couriosity.
                  I have welded a lot of 1" methane line with both butt and socket welds. I demoed a Ranger 305G and really liked the arc on the 6010. It was very sweet. However, I went with a TB301G at the time for other reasons which really are not important to this discussion. I sold my 301G and bought a new 302G for a multi-purpose machinel It has a nice arc and is better for pipe than the 301G. The DIG is a very useful feature and the "Auto-Off" with the "Lift-Arc" Tig makes for an easy root pass.

Comment

Originally posted by ShieldArc
                    I see you havent welded with a Ranger 305. Its arc is so similar to the pipe pro that i would have to use them side by side for awhile to determine if one was better than the other.
                    To be honest, more pipe welders and presure welders in Oil rich Alberta, run the 305G and Vantage diesels 10:2 compared to the Miller.

In the rumour mill there is a turbo kit comming in for the Vantage both as an optional kit for the Vantage 300 and a factory installed version rebadging the Vantage 300 to Vantage 400.

These units have Chopper Technology, thuis provide a straight line DC arc, (very smooth weld) and weld very simular to the Pipepro without all the Pipepro hassles and cost.

Comment

cruizer,

I like the chopper technology of the Lincoln Ranger (250 and 305). It is a very smooth DC arc reminding me of earlier days of pure DC generators for pipe welding. The arc is similar to the Miller XMT 304/350. However, I have stayed away from these machine wondering about longevity and durability. I have never been happy with Lincoln's service!

This brings me to being without a welder on site and then what...? For the time being I weld with the new TB302G and a an older Cat 40. Something happened last evening that may change me over to the Miller Big blue 400 in a few weeks. but we will see. It actually had nothing to do with either welding machine.

As a repair tech what you are seeing happen with the chopper technolgy under rough conditions?

Comment

Whatever happened with weldingwagon? i'd like to hear what happened to the [email protected]#$ who messed with his welder? Just a little curious ya know.
                        BC

Dynasty 200DX
                        Coolmate 3
                        MM210 w/3035 spoolgun
                        Cutmaster 101
                        LC1230 12" Metal Cutting Saw

Comment

WOW looks like people are taking notice of this thread over 5000 hits.....................

Comment

YEAH where is welding wagon?
                            Hawk, don`t keep us in suspence to long!

Comment

Originally posted by Stick rod
                              YEAH where is welding wagon?
                              Hawk, don`t keep us in suspence to long!
                              We're still waiting..hehe

Comment

good read

This has some real good reads.... Thanks to all that contributed!
                                Gone But Never Forgotten!

Comment

Working...
                                X