X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KB Fabrications
    replied
    Originally posted by GaryM
    I need to get legs for my table top 4' x 4' x 5/8 A36 plate.
    Gary,
    That sounds like a table I am in the process of designing and building. Once again I would vote against welding that top to the frame. The weight of the top just makes in unneccesary IMHO unless there is some specific need.

What are you going to use for legs? I am probably going to go with 1/4" x 3" square tube and use a 1/4" x 1.5" square tube stretcher framework. The upper stretcher framework will also have some large threaded bushings welded into it so the top can be leveled with some bolts where the heads have been machined flat in a lathe. The legs will have similar design with a few inches of travel for height adjustability.

Leave a comment:

• sgoeing
    replied
    I have already made the frame and did in fact leave a 2 or 3 inch overhang all the way around. I like the idea of leaving the top as a floater, but wouldn't it be susceptible to warpage. I figured that welding it to the frame would help reduce the chances of warpage or other distortion quite a bit.
    Thanks for the quick replies.
    sgoeing

Leave a comment:

• KB Fabrications
    replied
    Iramberson coined the "floater" term and I wholeheartedly agree. We have a 2' x 4' x 3/8" table top and the weight alone is enough to keep it from moving around (unless I hit it w/a 2# sledge ). Your 2' x 3' x 1/2" top would certainly do as well. I also agree with VBI about leaving yourself a clamping zone aroung the perimeter of the table. That really helps out.

I personally would not attach it not only to keep from warping but to also have the ease of moving it later if you need to. JMO

Leave a comment:

• VBI
    replied
    As GaryM suggested, stagger weld the angle iron to the table top with minimum weld bead so as not to warp the table surface.

You may want to consider leaving a minimum of 3” of table lip (overhang) around the entire perimeter from the angle iron frame. This will give you a flat surface under the table edge to use C-clamp and Vise-Grip type hold down fixtures.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    My table top is a floater ( term I was told) the table top is supported by angle iron frame & legs with the top being independent.. Heat & distortion not a problem

Leave a comment:

• GaryM
    replied
    when you weld the angle to the bottom do not weld completly this will put to much heat into the table and warp it.

Do a short 3" weld then go the oposite side of angle and move down about 6" then weld a short 3" weld and contune down the angle. This will keep the angle from pulling up on one side.

I need to get legs for my table top 4' x 4' x 5/8 A36 plate.

Good luck and hope your table turns out nice

Gary

Leave a comment:

• sgoeing
    started a topic Question about welding table

Question about welding table

I am picking up the top to my welding table tomorrow and have a quick question. The top is a piece of 2' x 3' 1/2" plate. The legs and frame are 3/16" 2" angle. Should I weld the top continuously along the frame or use short welds spaced out? Should both sides of the angle be welded to the top or just one?
    Thanks
    sgoeing
Working...
X