Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Begining TIG

I just started today, and I have q:

I'm just putting down beads across some 1/4" plate at this point, my beads seem to get wider and wider as I go. This was not consistant, I figure it's something I'm doing, just not sure what.

Also how do you stop from getting that little crater at the end of the bead?

And...is there a list of reccomended settings for various thickneses, etc for TIG?

I'm using the settings from the manual for 1/8" aluminum, 1/8" tungsten, 100% argon, Dynasty 200 SD.

Thanks for the patience with this list of NOOB questions.

Dave

Hi Dave, you are probably getting a wider bead due to the workpiece heating up. You can drop the current down when you start to see that happening. You can fill the crater at the end by adding filler and decreasing the current. There is a lot of tig info on the net if you do a search.

Comment

Hey thanks. I had no idea you were supposed to adjust the foot pedal as you went, I thought it was just an on and off switch. Duh.

I'm knee deep in the search function.

Great site you guys have here.

Comment

Dave22 welcome aboard and keep us up on your progress!

Comment

program your stops

i think you can program the dynasty to drop off curent at the end insted of just stoping, to alow for 1 last dab of filler under lower curent at the end to fill the crater.it may only be the DX modle but you should check your book or just do it manulay by backing off on the peddle and adding a last dab.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

I think Miller sales a slide chart that you can use to set your perimeters. You just find the type of metal and the thickness and it will give you a starting point on your amps,tungsten,& gas flow.

Comment

Haz

yep
              the TIG calculator gives you tung. dia. , cup orifice dia. , filler rod dia. , curent type and amp's as well as gas type and flow.
              it's kinda like a slide roule. it comes in the miller student package (well recomended) or can be gotten seperatly. i would think any welding suplyer could get it for you or you could order direct from miller.
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

Comment

Working...
              X