aluminum welding bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum welding bench

Is it worth while to make a bench from aluminum for aluminum welding or it doesnt really matter what about just topping my steel welding table with aluminum?
    Lincoln SP170T
    ESAB 875 Plasma
    Smith oxy set
    Dynasty 200DX
    pulsed mig is next...

Long Island Cummins Ram Owners Club

If i had my choice i would just top it with 1/4" or thicker AL plate and bolt it down. The big problem will be gouges in the AL if you drag steel across it. Also if your part arcs it will leave a black spot on the AL. Most of my welding jigs are AL "skinned" to keep the splatter off. I just keep them hosed down with WD40...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

The aluminum placed on a steel table will also tend to buckle when it gets hot so, you will need a few bolts or get a thicker piece of aluminum. I use a steel table that I brush and wipe off with cleaner before I do a bunch of aluminum.

A-

Comment

you will also find that since aluminum is softer than most other alloys, when it gets warm, any projects you are working on will drag and become difficult to move. I would recomend that you stick with steel. steel will also cost less and last much longer.
        Trailblazer 302g
        coolmate4
        hf-251d-1
        super s-32p
        you can never know enough

Comment

Dyn88 where you been the last steel I got cost within a nickle a foot of Aluminum! Steel will last alot longer and is less likely to crack with heavy use.

Comment

we pay around 80 cents more per pound or more for 6061t6 than 1018.
            Trailblazer 302g
            coolmate4
            hf-251d-1
            super s-32p
            you can never know enough

Comment

thanks for all the replys
              Lincoln SP170T
              ESAB 875 Plasma
              Smith oxy set
              Dynasty 200DX
              pulsed mig is next...