X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • masontel
    • Jun 2004

Millermatic 210 wire slipping

I have a MM210 that I have just started using for more than just a few minutes. I have noticed that while I am welding the wire has started slipping through the rollers when its trying to push it through to gun. I have tightened the rollers and it helps but after welding for awhile it starts slipping again. What can I do to prevent this?
    Thanks
  • Bulldog
    • Sep 2005

Hello Masontel,
    Make sure that you have correct contact tip in the gun. I would also double check the V-rollers for alignment. If your running .030 wire you don't have the .035 rollers in the machine do you? They are reversible. This is new wire right. Not rusty I hope. If all is well then tighten the rollers more and try again. I hope this helps.
    Bulldog
    5 Passport Pluses
    2 MM 212's
    MM 210
    MM 251 MIA
    MM 350 P w/Python
    Syncrowave 250
    w/ tig runner
    Trailblazer 302
    12RC w/meters
    Spectrum 1000
    Spectrum 2050
    2 Black BWEs
    Joker BWE
    Star & stripe BWE Digital
    2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
    CUMMINS BABY

Comment

• cope
      • Sep 2005

When you posted at Hobart you mentioned the spool tension. Check that it is not too tight. It needs to be just tight enough to prevent the wire over-running when you release the trigger.

Comment

• rodburner
        • Sep 2005

also ya might check while your welding that your cable is as straight as possible.
        Billy A.

Comment

• ASKANDY
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2002

There are quite a few things that can cause this and some great ideas were given. Here are a couple more to check...

Are you using the Miller gun? If not, check to see if the back of the gun or liner is not touching the drive rolls. If it is, this will cause a tension problem.
          If the liner was kinked at one time.
          make sure the wire sits in the drive roll groove. You can adjust the side to side of the bototm gear.
          Is the spool "under winding" or cross winding. This will make it hard to pull the wire from the roll. I had a whole case of wire that did this last summer and tossed the whole bunch.

Good luck

Andy

Comment

• masontel
            • Jun 2004

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to check all those things and let you know what happens.

Comment

• tackit
              Banned
              • Oct 2005

I had a problem with slipping too, when I got rid of the cheap copper clad mexican wire that problem and bead not washing in was eliminated. God I hate that stuff, it will never be on a machine of mine again.

Comment

• Paul Seaman
                • Sep 2005

Tackit:
                I'll second that, nothing but trouble with offshore junk. One other thing no one mentioned as a possibility, wrong size tip. Its simple things that usually cause me the biggest trouble!!!!

Peace,

Comment

• johns6
                  • Nov 2003

What do you think is the best wire to use? All I can seem to find is Italian made.

Comment

• Paul Seaman
                    • Sep 2005

Harris, Radnor, Alcotec{aluminum}, are the brands I've been using and have had no trouble! Most large suppliers have a house brand and often they are offshore but Airgas {radnor} is domestic and great quality. The trick is to find out who relabels their products for the given supplier you use. Ask questions and you may be suprised it may even be Harris or Alcotec!

Peace,

Comment

• Scott V
                      • Jan 2007

Esab is Alcotec and one of the best.

Comment

• tackit
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2005

After telling my distributor I wanted a USA made wire he brought me out a spool of Lincoln Super Arch L-56 ER70S-6, it's made a huge differance.

Comment

• Bulldog
                          • Sep 2005

Masontel,
                          Have you figured out why the wire was slipping? Just curious.
                          Bulldog
                          5 Passport Pluses
                          2 MM 212's
                          MM 210
                          MM 251 MIA
                          MM 350 P w/Python
                          Syncrowave 250
                          w/ tig runner
                          Trailblazer 302
                          12RC w/meters
                          Spectrum 1000
                          Spectrum 2050
                          2 Black BWEs
                          Joker BWE
                          Star & stripe BWE Digital
                          2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
                          CUMMINS BABY

Comment

• VBI
                            • Dec 2004

If your machine is right out of the box new, with OEM gun and consumables, I would suspect something simple as noted by everyone, i.e. wrong contact tip, feed wheels, feed wheel tension, alignment, wrong spool tension adjustment, dirty, rusty wire.

If those all check out you might clip about 6 to 8 loops of wire from the spool you are using. Hold the circle of wire a couple feet above a clean level floor and drop flat to the floor. If the wire does not lay flat on the floor it has twist in it and you should take it to the dealer or like Andy said toss it out. When you get a spool of wire with excessive twist, you can feel the wire labor in the gun handle while welding.

Hang in there.

Knowledge comes with experience. When you know what makes it work, you will know what to do when it doesn’t.

Comment

• Sundown
                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by VBI
                              <snip>If those all check out you might clip about 6 to 8 loops of wire from the spool you are using. Hold the circle of wire a couple feet above a clean level floor and drop flat to the floor. If the wire does not lay flat on the floor it has twist in it and you should take it to the dealer or like Andy said toss it out. When you get a spool of wire with excessive twist, you can feel the wire labor in the gun handle while welding.<snip>
                              I've not had any problem with wire (except for one roll of Harris I had to pitch out) but thanks for the tip, I will remember it for later.
                              Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                              Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                              Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                              Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Working...
                              X