X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 67Charger383HP
    replied
    Hello,

This is my first post here. Thanks for the great forum everyone!

I have wanted to get into metal work for auto restoration/shop stuff for almost 10 years now. After using a 210 a few weeks ago for the first time I had ever welded, I feel in love.

While at my local Miller shop here in Vegas tonight, I looked at the 251, but only for just a few seconds. I just could not justify it since I am new to welding, and eventually want a Plasma cutter and other tools.

Personally for what I will be using it for, I think I may (I hope!) have just bought my first and last MIG, a 210. I was going to go 135 or 175, (you don't know how close I came to a 135 before searching on-line) but after much reading here, decided that I might outgrow it or overwork it in just a year or two. If you think you will outgrow the 210, I feel your pain. I did not want to fork out the extra tonight for the 210, but I don't think I will regret it. Maybe you should go bigger too and have no regret

Jason

Leave a comment:

• honk
    replied
    Before deciding between the mm210 and mm251 you'd do well to consider the new mm350 and mm350P.

You see, marketing requires that there always be somewhere further to go, and Miller does marketing with the best of them. The new machine is now the ideal and must be known as such sooner rather than later because there is only these few months left in the year for sales before the introduction of the what? The mm351? The mm375? No, how could it be? The MILLERMATIC 410P !!!

But who can wait? Buy the mm210 and keep the other five bills in the kitty for next year's model.

Leave a comment:

• johnclifford
    replied
    i always figure on abusing my equipment. if you by a 210 it may suit your needs for now but latter on down the road if you run into something that you absalutly need more power for you do not want to be over working the smaller machine .

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    GLHS:
    I've used most of the brands for small amounts of time and I think they all have merits I like the 600 but I also like the esab{can't remember the number} the miller I've used was trashed and the gun was crapped out but it did cut well{it just had parts falling off of it}. I think you'll get the mileage out of whichever you get.

Hint ask the counterperson about the consumables before you buy, if they don't stock them then don't buy it. My dealer never sold a spoolmate3035 so they never stocked the consumables- but they did after I bought mine!

Leave a comment:

• 87GLHS465
    replied
    well, I figure if I can weld it, I better be able to cut it! So Im looking at 30 -> 40 amp (Max) range, which includes the Thermal cutmaster 38 and 51, or the Hyper 380 or 600. I haven't really looked to much at the Miller machines (I really HATE to say that on a Miller board!), but I have experience with the Hyper 1000, and its a FINE machine! Im figuring that a company that does nothing but plasma probably has a good idea whats going on. I hope!

clay

Originally posted by Scott V
    Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics.

You might include Miller, because they make some of the smaller models for Hyperthem.

What amp range are you looking at?

I like the Thermal Dynamics torch better then the rest. Hypertherms patents ran out on the start cartridge so Thermal was allowed to use that system. (Non hi freq start) They took that and added some patents to their new torch, so it looks like Hypertherm is going to have to wait their turn. No swirl ring in the Thermal sure-loc one torch.

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied
    210 vs 251

Welcome Clay,
    I have a MM251 so, obviously, I'm biased toward it. I have welded with the MM210 and like everyone says, it's very easy to dial in. But I, like Kevin, always err on the side of "bigger is better". I haven't run in to any 1/2" situations yet but I know they're out there lurking and I really like the way my MM251 handles spray arc on 90/10 ArCO2. For plasma I want a Spectrum 375 but I gotta get my Dynasty 200DX first.

Leave a comment:

• Scott V
    replied
    Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics.

You might include Miller, because they make some of the smaller models for Hyperthem.

What amp range are you looking at?

I like the Thermal Dynamics torch better then the rest. Hypertherms patents ran out on the start cartridge so Thermal was allowed to use that system. (Non hi freq start) They took that and added some patents to their new torch, so it looks like Hypertherm is going to have to wait their turn. No swirl ring in the Thermal sure-loc one torch.

Leave a comment:

• 87GLHS465
    replied
    Well, Im not really any closer to a decision, though I am leaning towards the 251. It sounds like to me, no matter which way I go, I cant make a bad decision! I like the infinite adjustibility of the 251, though Ive never used an infinite machine, Im sure (as has been said already) the learning curve will be a bit more on the 251, but I can handle it.

I guess the only problem I have now how hard its going to be waiting for the machine to come in once I do finally order it!

Also, the main reason Im in somewhat of a hurry is the local welding supplier I deal with (Praxair) is having a sale on their MM machines. The 210 is right at $1224, and the 251 is $1724. I have not been about to find better prices, and would rather buy local if I can. Anyone else know of better prices anywhere?

my next question will be which brand of plasma, Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics.

thanks everyone!

clay

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    So Clay,
    Now that you got us all RILED up have ya made any decisions??? I think that there are alot of good arguments both ways. It really just depends on what you plan on doing in your shop/garage. Both are great machines!
    Bulldog

Leave a comment:

• KB Fabrications
    replied
    Clay,
    Welcome to the forum. You have gotten some great advice from a vast base of experience. That will only grow as you learn from these guys.

I make a living with my equipment and whether it has been a piece of welding equipment or a piece of machinery, I always try to buy more machine than I think I need at the time. No matter what, the better you get the more you will do (your customers will see to that!). Yeah you can always sell and move up but that takes time, effort and you never (usually) end up getting what something is really worth (JMO).

If you buy the 251, it might have a slightly steeper learning curve than the 210 but so what. It just means that when you master it you will be all the better for it. As for the $500 savings by going with the 210, you are beginning down a road from which there is no return . You will always want/need something else to augment whatever work you are doing so just save/spring for what you want when you need it . Good luck and post when you pull the trigger.

Best regards,

Leave a comment:

• Sundown
    replied
    I have a MM210/3035 and a Maxstar 150STL stick/tig and feel that for home use that combo is vary hard to beat. The MM251 if very nice if you need it, but I really can do everything I want to with the MM210 and besides the MM210 is dirt simple to dial in and the Maxstar 150 STL or STH is also very simple to operate, all those options just confuse me for the most part and I don't need to pay more to be more confused. Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    I am a fan of the mm210, I have done far thicker with it than most would want to try. If 3/8" is the high end than the 210 is the machine for you. This weekend I have gone through 6 lbs. of Aluminum wire with the spoolgun and it is loads of fun. I have welded steel as thick as schedule 80 pipe to 1" plates.

In bang for the buck, the award goes to the mm210!

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    Clay,
    I think that you'll notice people seem to like both the 210 and the 251. It really depends on what your needs are now and what you think they are going to be in a few years. Do you see yourself expanding anytime soon? I own both and like them both very much. I have a precast concrete business and I build all my own forms and build alot of forms for customers. The company made some money this year and I needed to re-invest some money into the company or New York was going to get a bunch of MY hard earned money. I bought some new equipment and one of the things was a MM251. It's great! It really is. I just came in from building a window sill mold out of 16 gauge. I used the 251 just to see how it did on the thin stuff. Well it did great! The 251 doesn't start a weld as nice as the 210 and it is a bunch trickier to get set up, but once you've got it it runs great! (Thick or thin) Now back to your situation do you need a 251? Do you need other equipment in the shop? I can tell ya this, if you buy the 210 and keep it in great shape you can sell it if you decide that you need a bigger machine. I put my 210 on here for sale and had a big group that wanted it the day I listed it. Funny thing though - I couldn't sell it. It's just so quick and easy to set up. I use it all the time.One of the reasons that I bought the 251 was I always wondered how much better it would weld the 1/2 plate that I make block mold from. Well I should have tried one first. My opinion if your not going into heavy duty production get the 210 and invest the extra into something else for the shop.
    Bulldog

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    I vote for the 210 also. I bought mine in August after trying to decide 210/251/Vintage(found a new one nearby) and I do not regret going with the 210. Not many home users are going to have a steady diet of 3/8" and larger welding, and if they do chances are that it's going to be outdoors anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    If I was in a small shop doing general work it would likely be the 210 for me. One thing , cost, second power requirements and running from light services its going to work well as it will with extension cords, even from dryer recepts. Then there is the V tap issue, guys like Dan and Scott can tune this machine exactly, the rest of us want to fix or build stuff. One out of 10 tops is ever going to be able to tune that accurate or probably even cares. In my shop, I would likely get a 251 but its different than working on a car or 2 out in the garage and power isnt an issue, could run a half a dozen at once. Cost wouldnt be that much of an issue either most of the time. I have only ran one 210 but it really made some heat. If I had this machine in production or ran it in a fab shop 40 hrs a week then I think there would be a clear winner, in a small shop I dont think it would make a difference either way. As Clay said, does he really need it? In his type of shop? Will he notice a difference?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X