Which to buy: MM210 vs. MM251

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Clay,
    Now that you got us all RILED up have ya made any decisions??? I think that there are alot of good arguments both ways. It really just depends on what you plan on doing in your shop/garage. Both are great machines!
    Bulldog
    5 Passport Pluses
    2 MM 212's
    MM 210
    MM 251 MIA
    MM 350 P w/Python
    Syncrowave 250
    w/ tig runner
    Trailblazer 302
    12RC w/meters
    Spectrum 1000
    Spectrum 2050
    2 Black BWEs
    Joker BWE
    Star & stripe BWE Digital
    2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
    CUMMINS BABY

Comment

Well, Im not really any closer to a decision, though I am leaning towards the 251. It sounds like to me, no matter which way I go, I cant make a bad decision! I like the infinite adjustibility of the 251, though Ive never used an infinite machine, Im sure (as has been said already) the learning curve will be a bit more on the 251, but I can handle it.

I guess the only problem I have now how hard its going to be waiting for the machine to come in once I do finally order it!

Also, the main reason Im in somewhat of a hurry is the local welding supplier I deal with (Praxair) is having a sale on their MM machines. The 210 is right at $1224, and the 251 is $1724. I have not been about to find better prices, and would rather buy local if I can. Anyone else know of better prices anywhere?

my next question will be which brand of plasma, Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics.

thanks everyone!

clay

Comment

Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics.

You might include Miller, because they make some of the smaller models for Hyperthem.

What amp range are you looking at?

I like the Thermal Dynamics torch better then the rest. Hypertherms patents ran out on the start cartridge so Thermal was allowed to use that system. (Non hi freq start) They took that and added some patents to their new torch, so it looks like Hypertherm is going to have to wait their turn. No swirl ring in the Thermal sure-loc one torch.

Comment

210 vs 251

Welcome Clay,
          I have a MM251 so, obviously, I'm biased toward it. I have welded with the MM210 and like everyone says, it's very easy to dial in. But I, like Kevin, always err on the side of "bigger is better". I haven't run in to any 1/2" situations yet but I know they're out there lurking and I really like the way my MM251 handles spray arc on 90/10 ArCO2. For plasma I want a Spectrum 375 but I gotta get my Dynasty 200DX first.
          Be cool,
          Alex

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
          SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Comment

well, I figure if I can weld it, I better be able to cut it! So Im looking at 30 -> 40 amp (Max) range, which includes the Thermal cutmaster 38 and 51, or the Hyper 380 or 600. I haven't really looked to much at the Miller machines (I really HATE to say that on a Miller board!), but I have experience with the Hyper 1000, and its a FINE machine! Im figuring that a company that does nothing but plasma probably has a good idea whats going on. I hope!

clay

Originally posted by Scott V
            Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics.

You might include Miller, because they make some of the smaller models for Hyperthem.

What amp range are you looking at?

I like the Thermal Dynamics torch better then the rest. Hypertherms patents ran out on the start cartridge so Thermal was allowed to use that system. (Non hi freq start) They took that and added some patents to their new torch, so it looks like Hypertherm is going to have to wait their turn. No swirl ring in the Thermal sure-loc one torch.

Comment

GLHS:
              I've used most of the brands for small amounts of time and I think they all have merits I like the 600 but I also like the esab{can't remember the number} the miller I've used was trashed and the gun was crapped out but it did cut well{it just had parts falling off of it}. I think you'll get the mileage out of whichever you get.

Hint ask the counterperson about the consumables before you buy, if they don't stock them then don't buy it. My dealer never sold a spoolmate3035 so they never stocked the consumables- but they did after I bought mine!

Comment

i always figure on abusing my equipment. if you by a 210 it may suit your needs for now but latter on down the road if you run into something that you absalutly need more power for you do not want to be over working the smaller machine .
                clifford welding & steel fabrication

Comment

Before deciding between the mm210 and mm251 you'd do well to consider the new mm350 and mm350P.

You see, marketing requires that there always be somewhere further to go, and Miller does marketing with the best of them. The new machine is now the ideal and must be known as such sooner rather than later because there is only these few months left in the year for sales before the introduction of the what? The mm351? The mm375? No, how could it be? The MILLERMATIC 410P !!!

But who can wait? Buy the mm210 and keep the other five bills in the kitty for next year's model.

Comment

Hello,

This is my first post here. Thanks for the great forum everyone!

I have wanted to get into metal work for auto restoration/shop stuff for almost 10 years now. After using a 210 a few weeks ago for the first time I had ever welded, I feel in love.

While at my local Miller shop here in Vegas tonight, I looked at the 251, but only for just a few seconds. I just could not justify it since I am new to welding, and eventually want a Plasma cutter and other tools.

Personally for what I will be using it for, I think I may (I hope!) have just bought my first and last MIG, a 210. I was going to go 135 or 175, (you don't know how close I came to a 135 before searching on-line) but after much reading here, decided that I might outgrow it or overwork it in just a year or two. If you think you will outgrow the 210, I feel your pain. I did not want to fork out the extra tonight for the 210, but I don't think I will regret it. Maybe you should go bigger too and have no regret

Jason

Comment

Working...
                    X