Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passport 180

OK Hawk,
    I hope you are right about them, because I just ordered one today. It will be here Monday and I hope by Monday night I can be thanking you. (I hope)
    See I am not totally against Miller and will support them when I feel they got it right.

Andy how does the short-arc with mixed gases compare to other Miller machines? Is there another Miller machine that has a arc like it? Also is the Passport going to be caught in the next Miller price jump?
    When does that happen and how much? 3% maybe?

Scott

Scott
    All I can say is ! You could always paint it yellow.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52
      Scott
      All I can say is ! You could always paint it yellow.
      I was thinking of painting this one blue the way it welds!!!

Although its got a nice tig and stick arc. Just no low end. It's great at the farm with Flux-core or on 16 gauge and above with gas. It sucks with .023 wire.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Scott V
        OK Hawk,
        I hope you are right about them, because I just ordered one today. It will be here Monday and I hope by Monday night I can be thanking you. (I hope)
        See I am not totally against Miller and will support them when I feel they got it right.

Andy how does the short-arc with mixed gases compare to other Miller machines? Is there another Miller machine that has a arc like it? Also is the Passport going to be caught in the next Miller price jump?
        When does that happen and how much? 3% maybe?

Scott
        Scott V,

You will really enjoy the Passport. By the way you mentioned .023" wire on the little ESAB 160. The Miller is designed to use .030" wire and do it all. You will be impressed. As for the arc I think it is similar to an XMT arc. I wonder what A- thinks?

Comment

Scott,
          Congrats on the new machine. Please give us a review after you put a few miles on it. I am quite interested in this machine and would certainly appreciate any feedback. Good luck.
          Dynasty 350DX
          Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
          MM 350P
          MM Passport Plus
          Spectrum 375 Extreme
          08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

My friend at Airgas ( not your average store manager and all the welding reps have to come prepared ) says they are really nice when he used it at the Miller training center. They used .030 with co2 and the inductance on the sharp setting. I think they were welding around 18 guage as best as he can remember?The arc was really really good. He understands how hard that is to find in a machine that runs co2 right. Really only a few do it well and some of those are not made any more. I know my esab runs it great, but I only run mixed gases in that unit. That is the unit I will be comparing it too, and if it is half the machine in arc quality, I will be real happy. I sure it's closer then that, in its output range. I will try it out with some tri-mix ss too.

Ok, now off to the paintball place to find out how much the refills are.

Kevin if you ever get to Portland you could come by and run it yourself. Also a Thermal 300 prowave to compare to your Dynasty. PS- bring that along.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott V
              Kevin if you ever get to Portland you could come by and run it yourself. Also a Thermal 300 prowave to compare to your Dynasty. PS- bring that along.
              I don't get up there too often but I'd be willing to come up to try out that passport. I'd also be happy to bring the dynasty w/some goodies to let you have a go.

Thanks for the generous offer. Weekends are best for me but if that did'nt work I might be able to work something out. You can reach me at [email protected]
              Dynasty 350DX
              Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
              MM 350P
              MM Passport Plus
              Spectrum 375 Extreme
              08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Dude!!!
                You will love the Passport!
                If you don't, I can sell it for ya in 30seconds. I just put 4 more in at Dale Earnhardt Inc. today.

It has the arc similar to the Alt and XMT 350 with a much better bottom end where as the Alt and XMT are designed more for heavy fab. On Co2, that welder will run like a normal MIG does on a mix gas. Don't be afraid to use the SS setting on steel as it will wet the puddle more and is great for doing body tacks. Both Roush and Hendrick use them in their body fab departments.

Have fun...let us know how it goes.

Andy

Comment

Kevin,
                  I will e-mail you when the Passport shows up, to set something up.
                  I should have you swing by and get Dan on your way by! That way I could show him the power of yellow.

Andy,
                  thanks but if this unit does what I think it will, It will not be going anywhere!!!

Comment

Scott and Andy

You guys start throwing out praises on how great the Passport 180 is you're going to end up making me put my MM 210 up for sale I also have a MM 175 someone would more than likely be interested in having. Yeah, i think i could do fine with just my MM 251 and a Passport 180. I bet the Passport 180 is a real sweet unit on 1/8" mild steel with C-25.

Scott, are you going to run some SS wire thru the unit too using a tri-mix shielding gas?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
                      Scott and Andy

You guys start throwing out praises on how great the Passport 180 is you're going to end up making me put my MM 210 up for sale I also have a MM 175 someone would more than likely be interested in having. Yeah, i think i could do fine with just my MM 251 and a Passport 180. I bet the Passport 180 is a real sweet unit on 1/8" mild steel with C-25.

Scott, are you going to run some SS wire thru the unit too using a tri-mix shielding gas?
                      Dan, send the wife on a cruise and sell a couple of her horses to finance the cruise and Passport.

Scott, I wish I lived in Oregon; I could buy your cast offs cheaper than demo welders and they would be like new.

Comment

Scott and Andy

You guys start throwing out praises on how great the Passport 180 is you're going to end up making me put my MM 210 up for sale

Dan, I'm going to pretend you didn't say that

I also have a MM 175 someone would more than likely be interested in having.

OK, I'm going to pretend you didn't say that either

Yeah, i think i could do fine with just my MM 251 and a Passport 180. I bet the Passport 180 is a real sweet unit on 1/8" mild steel with C-25.

Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                        Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                        Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                        Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

[Scott, are you going to run some SS wire thru the unit too using a tri-mix shielding gas?
                          Yesterday 07:15 PM]

Yes Dan,
                          some tri-mix is in the mix.

[Dan, send the wife on a cruise and sell a couple of her horses to finance the cruise and Passport.]

That could work, but I doubt Dan would like living under the cover of his 251?
                          If she let him keep it!!!

[Scott, I wish I lived in Oregon; I could buy your cast offs cheaper than demo welders and they would be like new.]

Yes you would now be a proud owner of a esab 250 and not a 210. I know you would of liked the extra juice and adjustments. The Airgas rep that demos all the different machines to factorys and what not, snagged that one.
                          He uses every brand of machine and type of machine out there and likes the simple setup of that unit. He was the one that got me up to speed on the 210 demo. Which he liked by the way.

[where as the Alt and XMT are designed more for heavy fab.]

Andy so does this machine, and it low end is about the best there is. I guess all the different setting give this machine more range. I will be comparing the Passport directly to the low end of the esab. Also the C02 welding, as soon as I get a bottle for the esab. This should be a pretty good work out for the little Passport.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X