Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown S-10
    replied
    i found, in one case, that a large piece of uncleaned and well weathered aluminum worked great.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    I think a carbon backing plate would work well for you. You can order custom sizes of carbon blocks from ARCAIR . You can call or email and tell them what you are doing. They can make several different sizes to fit your application. I had one made 1/2" thick and 1 foot square. It works well for GTAW. I also use it to back holes in 1/2" steel when filling them in with a MIG torch.

Leave a comment:

• dyn88
    replied
    copper also works well. but dont arc on it or it will erode

Leave a comment:

• rb455ho
    replied
    I too would probably tig those parts. I believe HAWK mentioned carbon is a great backing plate. You might give that a try.

Leave a comment:

• joebass
    replied
    I would use the Dynasty for that job. What joint? I have used some stainless before. That worked out pretty good. I have 4 or 5 blocks of 2x2x3 taht I use for chill blocks on aluminum.

Leave a comment:

• Trap Doctor
    started a topic Alu, Back up Material

Alu, Back up Material

I have 100 pieces that are .200" thick and about 5/8" long to weld up on the edge. Is there a material that alumimum will do stick too or burn up during this process? I will be using my 15A spool gun and a MM251

Thanks
    Jim
Working...
X