Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where are the very fine AlO2 wheels hiding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Example of my grinds

This is how I've been grinding them, pretty much. [photographs attached] This is a 3/32" done with an AlO2 60 grit, hard grey, 6" wheel on a 3600 RPM grinder. You can tell that I under angled it and then re-angled it, leaving a pretty bad double neck (neck = where the taper meets the outer diameter of the rod, in my jargon ), or a double chin...heh heh, but a slight one has never seemed to affect the arc much. This one actually looks pretty bad, I'd probably re-dress it to use it, but I didn't notice it until I looked at it through the camera and by then I had this big elaborate jig setup (involving a bunch of books, a drawer, and my grinder's lamp) and I didn't want to take it all down.

Ignoring that , would this be considered a fairly OK ground electrode? Still, if this is a 60 grit grind, I think a 120 or 150 grit finish could be so much better.

Thanks for any intput!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by aphexafx
      Oh yeah, you'd have to be pretty [email protected]&# good with a bench grinder to get that kind of finish! Just curious, how close do you get to the CNC pre-grounds with your Piranha?
      The Piranha as it comes from the factory (300 grit wheel) gets really close on a standard grind (20RA) finish. It really helps if you send in a tungsten sample of the brand you use so Diamond Ground can match the guide holes to you brand tungsten OD. The better the fit the better the grind.

I am currently experimenting with a test sample diamond grit wheel designed to reproduce the high polish finish of Diamond Grounds tungsten. Remind me in a week or so and I'll give you an update on how this project is going!

Comment

Originally posted by aphexafx
        Wow, thanks Blown S-10 I'll give it a try, sounds good. You're talking about doing all of this on one wheel, right? When you're dragging the tungsten for rough shaping below the shaft (right side) and grinding the tungsten for final shaping above the shaft (left side), what area of the side of the wheel do you...eh...employ, I guess?

So [and this is stemming from High School shop class saftey films] as long as I watch the groves on the wheel sides and be smart about it...it won't suddenly stress fail and explode voilently at high velocity, maming me and those near? In the early days of shop they had us believeing that if you even glanced at the side of the wheel it would kill you instantly.
        yep, just one wheel. i use the whole wheel. i slowly move the tungston up & down as i turn it. not one groove in the whole wheel. i put very little, hardly any, pressure on the tungston, no doubt the wheel hardly knows its being used.

Comment

Working...
        X