Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trent_Combs
    replied
    Maybe a more appropriate question would be "How old do you have to be to ignore your parents wishes in their house?" That answer is 103.

First of all, THEY pay the bills. Until you have a place of your own, you have to sell someone else on the positive aspects of bringing a dangerous device into THEIR HOUSE, be it a welder, a shotgun, or a Ford Mustang.

Second, they are your parents. Honor and respect their wishes - especially when you think they're wrong. You do that - and THEN they may start to listen to you.

Third, they are human. They are afraid of the unknown. If you do the other two things, they will become less defensive and negative, and will actually listen to your rationalizations as to why you should be trusted to have a welder, shotgun, or Ford Mustang. You can't share your knowledge of the responsibility involved with owning such things until you demonstrate the maturity to recognize their position.

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    I am ashamed of myself for following this thread. This child has too many issues to resolve to be concerned with welding, or anything having to do with the real life. Growing up and dropping the attitude would be a step in the right direction!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Sundown
    replied
    Originally posted by fun4now
    max star is probly the best bet for a base ment. more omph than the MM135 and less calateral damage.and about the same $$ as a MM175.<snip>.
    Just to keep things fair and balanced, my MM175 cost me $630 (about $700 these days) and my Maxstar 150STL with tig kit and a floor petal was about $1300, other peoples costs may vary. I do agree that a Maxstar would be much better than a MM175 in a basement, not that I think it would be a good idea to weld in a basement. Just my personal opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Engloid
    replied
    I'd have to say that the average age would be 15-16, but there are exceptions..but there are exceptions.

If your parents say 16, then 16 it is. Maybe you could get one, under the condition that you only use it under their supervision. Maybe it would make a good father/son learning activity. Maybe your dad would sign up for a welding class WITH you. This would be a great way to prove your level of responsibility and readiness to take on this trade. However, don't sell it to them like that... try this:

"I'm ready to SHOW you how ready and able I am to do this. I would like it if you and I could get in an evening welding class. I think this will give me the opportuninty to prove myself to you, as well as make sure that I will like this enough to warrant buying a welding machine...even if I have to wait till I'm 16 to get it."

Leave a comment:

• Daved
    replied
    Well I probably wouldn't let you weld in the basement of a house. Really doesn't matter how old you are. Hot sparks can pop to the weirdest places and they are no fan of dust or sawdust either. There is probably no good way to get all of the fumes out of the basement so its probably going to bother the house/parents. I also wouldn't let you do it unless there was a RESPONSIBLE adult that was a mentor right there with you.

I would never weld in my own basment either. By the time I get done doing some minor metal working in my garage my garage needs a good sweeping, vacuuming and blowing witht he leaf blower. I also have to work real hard to NOT drag any of the grinding dirt back into the house.

I'd also be that the homeowners insurance would be null and void if anything ever caught on fire.

You were doing just fine with your posts until you made the statement "**** money and retarded parents!" That statement and the one about building a piecc of crap bridge for your parents to walk across shows me that you don't really appreciate what your parents are currently doing for you. Sometimes wisdom comes with age. You will find that things can't/won't always go your way and you will just have to go with the flow. That's part of life.

Get good grades, try to find a part time job helping someone do 'mechanical things' and save your money for those rare moments you can convince your parents to let you take the next step.

Just about anyone that has raised kids (or been a kid) is amazed how much smarter the parents get when the kids get about 25 years old. All of a sudden the kids think the parents have gotten wiser and smarter and weren't such 'retards' after all.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    maxstar 150

max star is probly the best bet for a base ment. more omph than the MM135 and less calateral damage.and about the same $$ as a MM175.

i an understand that a basement is brick but it is still a verry large investment on youre parents part,especialy if the as you say dont have money. not that im real shoure you even understand that statement. they have more than i do as i cant aford a house of my own. well be that as it may if i were youu i would get with youer instructo discuse welders and what you would need to creat a safe welding area in youre parents basement and then take all that info to youre parents and hope for the best.

Leave a comment:

• aphexafx
    replied
    I wish you luck in whatever you chose to do, but I really think you're going to have a hard time convincing your parents to let you MIG weld in their basement...

TIG is probably a better choice for indoors, if you must.

But what do I know, perhaps your basement is totally sealed off from the rest of the house and is completely fire proof...

Leave a comment:

• rb455ho
    replied
    Tog welding is stronger especially for your application. The bad part is tig machines are more money than mig machines. My friend has a MM175 and he loves it. A mm135 is good up to 3/16" or 4.7625mm. It only requires 120VAC so could be handier around the house. Hang in their, it's hard when your young or old to have patience. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Mig is much easier to learn than tig but tig is better fo a motorcycle and the other thing you metioned

Leave a comment:

• d-dawgg
    replied
    ya but thats the problem, i don't have enough money for classes for me or me and my dad my parents don't have money they are willing to use on lessons. They think fire is dangerous and they would never go to a class anyway. well maby my dad if i paid but all i have is like not even enough for a decent welder (bout 100-200 buks away from mm175). **** money and retarded parents! .... I just gotta find a welding teacher. Oh and by the way whats easeyer MIG or TIG and wich one is better for quality eg. welding frame of racecar or motorcycle.

Leave a comment:

• Sparky24
    replied
    I have to agree that there should be no age limit for welding. All young people dream about what they want to do with their lives and if welding is it go for it. If your parents don't feel safe with it try and get your father interested in going to some classes with you. Maybe after he sees how much fun it is you can team up together and learn together. And by the way if you do set up a shop either in your basement or garage make sure you have a fire extinguisher close by and know how to use it. If you do have one and are not sure how to use it visit your local fire dept and they will be more than glad to show you how to use it and will tell you what type you should have on hand. Besides it is free information. Just my 2 cents.

Bob

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by fun4now
    if you are taking welding in school , have you conciderd asking youre instructor to talk to your parents about it. perhaps he could put some of there fears to rest, or find a beter place than the basement for you to weld that would be ok with youre parents.
    That sounds like a good idea that would probobly work.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    d-dawgg

if you are taking welding in school , have you conciderd asking youre instructor to talk to your parents about it. perhaps he could put some of there fears to rest, or find a beter place than the basement for you to weld that would be ok with youre parents.

Leave a comment:

• d-dawgg
    replied
    Originally posted by tackit
    I don't believe in a set age for learning how to weld either.

The best thing you can do in your present situation is build a bridge for your parents to walk across. One way to do this is by reading all you can about welding, this step will show them you are serious and not playing around. Also you can ask your parents to please take you to a welding distributor where they can discuss you love of welding with a professional and have him show them some Miller welding equipment, that might be all it takes to reassure them and get you started. Good luck kid.
    ya its just them, i have been on the ASK ANDY forum and hobart's WELD TALK FORUM basically 24/7. when im not there at at school welding in shop i cant really judge myself but all in all i am a pretty dowtoearth, determined kid and i cant remember the last time i got i trouble for being reckless or horsin around. im one o those kids who has nothin to do ane more and lookin do do something better (welding)

Leave a comment:

• d-dawgg
    replied
    if I made a bridge for my parents to walk across i would deliberatly make it a peico o crap! lol jk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X