Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding gloves...

Hi, Guys.

Gotta do something about my gloves. When I use the O/A and the MM135, a pair of pigskin driving gloves work great. Not too hot unless I put a hand down on something I shouldn't.

With the MM210, way different story. I've got a pair of Forney insulated leather gloves, but the tactile sense is like a fully garbed boxer trying to unzip his fly.

Any reccommendations re: a decent glove for higher amperage GMAW?

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Hank,
    I have experienced the same thing. I like the Tillman Tig welding gloves (soft pigskin) so I have a set that is doubled up. I got a pair that fits me perfect (#30 L's) and then doubled them with a pair of #30 XL's. They are soft enough that the two pairs still give me the tactile sense I need. Hope it helps.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Hank,

How about a small aluminum shield just ahead of the trigger? I have been thinking about making one but havn't got around to it yet.
      Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
      Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
      Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
      Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

I have come close to burning my hands doing tig. I use thick gloves. Never had any close calls with mig. That doesn't count dropping a hot ball in my boot and setting my shirt on fire a couple of times.

Comment

Gloves for stick and MIG are available in many brands. Most are about the same thickness, but vary in fit and comfort. Some offer tremendous dexterity an protection. I like the Blue Stallions. They seems to fit well and allow me to pick up my work with ease. The red liner will stain for the first few hours, but that is a small price to pay. Try a few different pair at the welding store.

The aluminum shield is nice when running high amp glob transfer and spray arc. I am right handed and use the shield on my left hand. It certainly reduces the HAZ on the back hand.

I like Kevin's idea of the Tillmans doubled up, but would feel more confident with a little extra protection.

Comment

Originally posted by hankj
            Hi, Guys.

Gotta do something about my gloves. When I use the O/A and the MM135, a pair of pigskin driving gloves work great. Not too hot unless I put a hand down on something I shouldn't.

With the MM210, way different story. I've got a pair of Forney insulated leather gloves, but the tactile sense is like a fully garbed boxer trying to unzip his fly.

Any reccommendations re: a decent glove for higher amperage GMAW?

Hank
            Tillman Mig gloves made out of Deer skin works great for me. They are between the thinner tig gloves and the heavy gloves for arc welding.

Comment

Everyone that has picked up a torch at one time or another will have a preference for the gloves that they like. So......here is my .02 . The Tilman 850 series Elkhide gloves are the most comfortable glove I have put on. Although pricey, they last a long time, allow good feel, and feel good.
              good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the help! I think I'll order a couple of different pair. All my local guy has are Tillman, which are nice, but they don't seem any heavier than my driving gloves.

Hawk, would that be the Revco "HQ" Black Stallion brand "blue" glove? RAM welding supply's got 'em for a good price.

George, I'm gonna skip the shield for now. I have enough trouble running straight beads as it is. Another piece of anything in my way is probably going to make things worse.

Let's see...what should I put out for Santa? I think he likes Kettle One Vodka with jalapeno stuffed olives...

Hank
                Handler 210 w/DP3035
                TA185TSW

Comment

hankj,

NO. Not the same animal. I'll see if I can find a pair in town and get a mfg name for you. I just tossed my last pair and am using "Komfort Fit" SMAW gloves donated by a client. There are really nice, but too thick.

Take a look at the Tillman Tru-Fit model. The look nice, but I have never used them.

Comment

Hank
                    Here is another vote for the Tillman 850's ( elkhide ). I've been using them about 16 years now. Still like them. Wouldn't mind trying others, but it is just too easy to walk in, pick up a pair and know they will be good.
                    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                    '06 12RC feeder
                    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                    Esab Multimaster 260
                    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Hank, go here....You should be able to find something that works for you....

mow

http://www.weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin...F:OR:terms::PQ

http://www.jtillman.com/

Comment

Hank not sure if I pasted this right but the gloves are a Black Stallion Mighty Mig glove. These gloves are great for mig or stick not too big or too small. Great comfort on the inside and offer a great feel. The link might not work but you can do a search for Black stallion mighty mig welding gloves. Hope this helps.

ttp://www.revcoindustries.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/421

Comment

http://www.revcoindustries.com/catal...roducts_id/421

Comment

It's GOOD to be in the flock when you got Shepherds like THESE!

Thanks everyone.

I'll report as appropriate.

Hank
                            Handler 210 w/DP3035
                            TA185TSW

Comment

Working...
                            X