X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kdahm
    replied
    Tips on lifting...

Just remember to keep your back straight..

Also, use the gravity produced by that belly to your advantage, like I do. Just set that thing on to of what you're lifting and let it help hoist. If the partying has been especially good, the gravity produced by the belly will practically lift itself.

Karl

Leave a comment:

• oldudbob
    replied
    Teeps: I have a couple of good articles concerning improvements that can be made to a small bandsaw. If you are interested drop me an E-mail at [email protected] and I will send E-mail them to you.

Leave a comment:

• jeffscarstrucks
    replied
    Good Job! You will really like this machine, and it does a great job with the spool gun on aluminum and don't forget that the gun is good for that odd size steel you don't use much of. Good Luck, JEFF

Leave a comment:

• Teeps
    replied
    Originally posted by wrench3047
    It's the reason people tend to put on weight between november and january.
    It all makes sense. It's the alignments fault not getting older, overeating or being lazy during vacation. Blame it on Pluto.
    Well I never got very soar from lifting the welder, but darn it if my belly isn't starting to resemble "Pluto" from all this holiday feasting!!!!
    Pretty soon, my belly will be big enough to affect the gravitational pull, and the alignments of the planets even further though, lol.

Thanks Mike,

Thanks for the tip Tackit.

Actually I wanted to pick up some .030 for my other machine, and I probably spent quite a bit more than comparable 7" spools, but I decided to pick up a 12.5 lbs spool of L-56 (Lincoln) since I new for sure it would be of good quality, and If I'm buying a large spool, I don't want to risk something I haven't tried. I welded on the wrong metal with it (I think the 12 guage sheet was actually stainless), the beads still looked great!!!! and this 12.5 lbs spool will last alot longer in my sp135 than the 2lbs spool did.

We have a local manufacturer here in MI called Crown Alloys, I'm going to try some 308L SI, wire from them on some 16 guage stainless, and see how it turns out.
    The local supplier says they make good stuff. If the wire turns out nice, I'll start using them for the lower price, but I'll buy little 2lbs spools first.

From Crown, I also know its more freshly built. The lincoln stuff I picked up, I'm pretty sure has been sitting for a long time on the shelf at my local supplier, and I did actually see some surface rust on part of the wire, small spot on the outside of the spool and across several strands. Probably from somebodies hand at the factory, and it was still sealed in the plastic, I think it just sat too darn long, the higher pricetag must not make it very popular at my local supplier.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    wrench3047

hummmmm

yep, i like it, i like it a lot

i'm going with what he said

Leave a comment:

• wrench3047
    replied
    It's the reason people tend to put on weight between november and january.
    It all makes sense. It's the alignments fault not getting older, overeating or being lazy during vacation. Blame it on Pluto.

Leave a comment:

• wrench3047
    replied
    Originally posted by Teeps
    Either I'm getting older, or 200 lbs feels heavier!!!! Maybe both!!!
    Don
    With the greenhouse effect increasing along with the geometric angle of the waves of Lake Michigan and the alignment of Pluto with Santa's sleigh gravity is increased slightly this time of year.

Leave a comment:

• Mike W
    replied
    Nice going Teeps.

Leave a comment:

• tackit
    replied
    When I first got mine home i wasn't impressed with it, I kept complaining to the distributor and he would come out and check things over and say it was fine, but it wasn't. Finally I told him to bring out the best wire he had, he brought out a spool of Lincoln's Super Arch L56 ER70-6 and from then on everything has been fine.

It was the cheap Mexican wire that was the problem, to my dealers credit he took back the half used up spool of Mexican wire and gave the new spool of Lincoln wire to me. I'll never go cheap on wire again.

Leave a comment:

• yeruncle
    replied
    fun4now - thanks! I read it some time ago (when I was REALLY red crazy), then I popped it up again a few days ago. This time I PAID ATTENTION! I really thought the Miller wouldn't like to get turned down (thin stuff), apparently I'm wrong!

Teeps - yah, I've got some 'lectric changin' to do myself! I checked the site I'm getting it from, they said the price will be good,so I can wait 'til holidays are gone. I have an additional problem with my shop being up a hill which will now be snowed in sporadically (and if it thaws it turns to mud) don't dare order unless I can get up there with truck!! (Long haul on my back @220lbs.) HATE WINTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy the 251 - rub it in when you use it!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Leave a comment:

• rb455ho
    replied
    great machine TEEPs

Congrats TEEPS, great machine, your gonna love it expecially when it breezes through any 1/2 plate work you might have. Good low end as well.

Leave a comment:

• Teeps
    replied
    Heh, Thanks guys.

By the way, if Santa brings you one, make sure to remind him to bring a hoist.
    LOL.

I pulled this one off his sleigh, and down to the ground on my garage floor.
    Kind of impressed myself.

Either I'm getting older, or 200 lbs feels heavier!!!! Maybe both!!!
    I think I'll have a bit of muscle soreness tomorrow, just shortenent the half life on my back I'm sure

A few elves to help would definately be preferred

Yeruncle,
    I'm out of town already, on dial up, when I return after Xmas, the electrical service upgrades begin. Part of it will have to be done by an Electrician and the power company. By the time I get Edison out there, well, at their pace it will probably be spring by the time I'll actually get to fire this bad boy up on a real 220v 60amp circuit

In Michigan you cannot run an outdoor main service entrance breaker, so I have to upgrade my indoor breaker to 200 amps, (along with all new service entrance and meter base, and underground conduit to the garage), and luckily I can re-use my current 100 amp breaker box, installing it in my detached garage.

I put some 98/2 O2 on Order, and my spoolgun wasn't in yet, so I pick that up when the gas comes in.
    I must say, Jay at Linde is the man, he discounted everything I bought today. I thought I was going to walk out of there $3300 lighter, and I walked out of there a bit under $3k.

Until then, I'll probably be playing with my O/A setup and getting it dialed in for cutting, and bending. Not to mentioned bring my new $55.00 aquisition of a used HF band saw back to life. Project Pheonix!!! I'm sure the motor is fried (start up), and the worm gear oil looks like black silicone, haha.

Between that and setting up for the MM251, I won't have much time to weld uuntil service is setup anyway.

First project will be spray arcing some 1/4 - 1/2 plate to make a large welding table-top out of a few long sections of cut off stock :-)

As far as advice on the 251, glad to help, but anything more than what's in the manual, I'm as in the dark as you.

For what it's worth, my Linde dealer carries all different brands, including Red and Blue. The shop manager there, before I could even ask, told me that this machine is the only mig welder that he would ever buy, and for his uses, and more than likely mine, he feels this welder really fills the role better than anything else, as far as a Mig is concerned. So thats his opinion, based on his usages.

Dan and a few of the others on here are much more experienced with this machine, and from what I've seen, can lay down some beautiful welds with this unit. As well as further help with your questions.

I know one of the first things I'm going to do is measure the actual WFS at different settings to check the variance.

Ahh, now I'll be up north with family, and the only thing I'll be able to think about is mm251 projects, LOL.

Happy Holidays!!!!

Don

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    yeruncle

did you see this

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...matic_251.html

it compairs the miller to the red and yellow.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    great making MM251's

bet that means i gota wait till next year for them to get to making the dynasty's
    well i'm not chancing it i'll wait up just in case.

Leave a comment:

• yeruncle
    replied
    AWRIGHT Teeps - now I can bug you too with stupid questions!!! Did you melt anything yet?? I'm pretty much convinced to go with the 251 also! I spent last month or so at night pestering folks between this and the LincolnPm 255. I'm thinking the Miller acts better on the high end AND the low end, which surprised me (can't get near one to try ,so I have to rely on you guys!!).

Have fun and keep us posted! Merry Christmas (goes without saying Bah,ha)!

Always ready to listen to good and bad about 251 - haven't ordered yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X