Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What tungsten to use for alu with 200dx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fun4now
    replied
    foot peddle option

some one here on this site found this foot peddle on e-bay for $150.00
    after looking into it it looks like a good option at a lower price.its not the miller foot controle but right now i need to save the $$ maybe i can get the miller later if i have truble with this 1 but the maker seems sound
    here is the link to the pedle
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3856573541

maker's home page
    https://rs153.securehostserver.com/~...otcontrols.htm

some how i got cut off of the post above i think i hit enter in the rong spot any way like i was trying to say you can get the parts cheeper than getting the kit but you also get the hard plastice carry case for the dyn. in the kit and after you track down all the parts to pice it together you will spend almost as much to pice it as to get the kit. the real advantage to picing it is you can get a flowmeeter insted of a floe gage. and you can look into a supper flex line for your torch. in short the real advantae is in being able to customize your accesorys to best suite you. $$$ realy isent much of a factor unless you are willing to get some used things off e-bay or where ever.if you buy all your pices new you will pay close to the same as a kit $$$ but you have more controle over the options.

in short picing it lets you personalize your setup to you, rather than a general setup to get the job done. there is nothing rong with the kit lots have gotten it and been happy they are all good quality parts in the kit. some people just want more options.
    saving $$$ should not be your reason for picing the kit unless you are willing to get used parts, as the time you spend looking for the stuff you need will far outwaigh the savings IMHO

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    contractors kit V/S parting it out

as for saving $$$$ im not shoure you will realy save that much unless you find some real good deals on e-bay.

to find a torch just look for a 150Amp or a size 17 there will be other things added to the 17 but the 17 states its amp size.
    i found this 1 used on e-bay and got it for $35.00 with shipping it is a

WT-17F-25R flex-head TIG torch w/parts

WT = manufacturer
    17F= Amp rating
    25R= how long and what type cord is on it

i also found a flowmeeter used for $28.60
    bolth of thouse are used and i got them for about 1/2 what they would be new.
    the biggest $$$$ item is the foot peddle almost every1 wants $200.00+ for 1

Leave a comment:

• Teeps
    replied
    do a search on contractors kit, and you'll see that Hawk has made a few superior recommendations for piecing together components instead of going with the contractors kit.

Best of Luck!

Leave a comment:

• Moviestar
    replied
    Originally posted by wrench3047
    he's going to teach me tig on a pt275 when we are in Iraq. When/if we have time.

good luck...stay safe!

On mon I'm picking up the dynasty....but still don't have a the accessories.

I'm thinking of getting that contractors kit but it seems like alot. I want to buy all the peices seprately but I'm nervous I'm going to buy the wrong parts for the expensive machine

Thanks guys for ansering the questions on the tungstens as I've miged but not tig'd so all this is new to me.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    Moviestar

here is the sample's i orderd and the price quote they gave me i orderd the 2 most likly sizes for the dyn200DX and got standerd and high polish just to see the diferance (i'll never need or use high polish but for free ill try 1 LOL )

hope this helps.

wrench3047
    i'm not real shoure but i dont think the back cap dose anthing but close out the back of the torch. the longer 1's let extra tung. stick through the back of the torch but still close the argon flow, alowing the longer tung to disapate more heat. (dont quote me on thet ill get my torch next week and take a look )

yes the back caps are diferent sizes you can get all the way down to flat.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• wrench3047
    replied
    Yeah, I think the back cap only pushes down on the collet to put holding pressure on the tungsten. So you would only need about an 1".

Thats a good question how short of a tungsten can be used about? I think cups are different lengths too aren't they? just curious.

talked to the welder at work, he's going to teach me tig on a pt275 when we are in Iraq. When/if we have time.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    Moviestar

i went with the 7" cuz it would give me more to work with when i reground it. as im new to grinding if i try it with a bench grinder (till i can get a sharpie) i may grind up a lot each time i try for a point LOL. so the longer the better. as i understand it with the long back cap you can still use a shorter tung. as it gets ground down so starting with 7" will give you more grinds befor you are too small to use.

Leave a comment:

• wrench3047
    replied
    With a standard backcap on most torches 7" fits.

Leave a comment:

• Moviestar
    replied
    I'm filling out the sample request form...what length should I put

thanks all this helped

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    info i got from HAWK

i was asking HAWK about witch tung sizes i would need for my soon to be dyn200DX.and this is the info i got from him it may help. as you didnt give us a thickness it will also give you the proper taper and flat per the amps you will be using. i hope this helps

I would stick to (2) tungsten sizes from what you are telling me. ALWAYS USE 1.5% OR 2% LANTHANATED TUNGSTEN WITH THIS MACHINE. I promise it will save you a multitude of headaches!

Actually you can get by easily with only 3/32” diameter tungsten. Diamond ground can send you some samples with a 20 degree taper and a .020” flat. This should do everything from 30 amps up to 120 amps and maybe higher. For the 120 amps to max on the Dynasty 200DX the same 3/32” tungsten will work. Use a 35 degree taper and a .030” flat. This thicker taper and wider flat will handle the current better. The 1/16” will only help your arc stability “somewhat” in the 10-25 amp range. I don’t think it will make much difference to you when first learning, but is nice to have a back up.

Let me tell about current capacity with lanthanated tungsten and the Dynasty inverters. I recently sold my D200DX to a friend and am keeping my 300DX Dynasty. I mainly use 3/32” 2% lanthanated tungsten. I weld aluminum, stainless, and titanium. I occasionally work with mild steel, but not often. Anyway, I use this tungsten for everything from 30 amps to 300 amps. I even run a 75% helium/25%argon mix on aluminum at 300 amps and the tungsten does not melt down. I do use the 35 degree taper and a .030” end flat for everything over 120 amps. I have the Diamond Ground Piranha II tungsten sharpener which makes it easy to adjust taper and end flat in a flash! You can also do it with a bench grinder by hand and eye. I did it for many years that way. A plain jane aluminum oxide wheel works wonders. Do dedicate a wheel to tungsten only. Don’t grind other material on this wheel as the contamination will play havoc on your welds!

For starters on AC with aluminum use 110HZ, 72 EN balance, no pulse, and approximately 1 amp per .001” of material thickness. For example 1/8” =.125 inches or 125 amps.

I hope this helps. By the way 3/32” 2% lanthanated does 99% of my work. I use the 1/16” diameter for the thin stuff as in 22 gauge for your work. I have used .010” thoriated for very specialized work such a .0040” hastealloy ribbon. Unless you get into something very special 1/16” and 3/32” will do all you will ever need to do. Let me know if I missed something.

By the way Diamond Ground is a great company!!!

If I can help you with anything else, let me know.

Leave a comment:

• Wheat
    replied
    Our Dynasty God (Hawk) recommends 1.5 Lathanated. I bought some, still no 200DX yet. Hopefully soon.....

Leave a comment:

• wrench3047
    replied
    oops it happens I've been wrong one or twice before.

Leave a comment:

• KB Fabrications
    replied
    Originally posted by wrench3047
    I believe 2% thor is recommended for everything with the 200dx

Actually Miller recommends using 1.5-2% Lanthanated or Ceriated. The concensus around here seems to be for the lanthanated. I have been using mine with 1.5% Lanth on steel and aluminum with great results.

Leave a comment:

• wrench3047
    replied
    I believe 2% thor is recommended for everything with the 200dx

Leave a comment:

• Moviestar
    started a topic What tungsten to use for alu with 200dx?

What tungsten to use for alu with 200dx?

I understand you can't use pure tungsten with the 200dx what is the recomendation for aluminum...

Say for example I'm welding on some 6061 plate what would be a good set up...tungsten, filler etc?

thanks!
Working...
X