Metal Sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Sanding

Well I thought I would get some input before I go spend more money on tools. I am interested in the different tools/methods used for sanding metal. Up to this point I have used a right angle grinder with the hard abrasive to grind my welds and then a flap disk to get them even smoother. Lately I have been experimanting with the 3M Roloc pads (scotchbrite) to get a smoother finish then the flap disks. I am still not sure what to do about large flat areas...? I have been told to try a jitterbug which I have, but have no paper for it. Then I have been looking into 6"DA's. This seems to be a good set up with the stickit sheets...? I tried my Porter Cable orbital with Hook/Loop paper that I would use on wood and the paper didn't last long at all on flat surface steel. I guess this leads me into what kind of paper is best for matal? I see many ads that say the paper is good for Wood & Metal.... is this really the case? Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks
    Chris
    87' Mustang GT - Blown 306 Road Racer
    Millermatic 210
    Spectrum 375
    [email protected]
    www.ckvalentidesigns.com

Go with the 6" da with the stickit paper. You can get the paper in several grits. 40 and 80 grit to rough it down and go all the way down to 400 working your way through the grits really slick it up.

Kelly

Comment

I placed an order for a 6" Dynabrade Spirit DA...
      Chris
      Millermatic 210
      Spectrum 375
      [email protected]
      www.ckvalentidesigns.com

Comment

3M makes some abrasive discs that are green rubber called bristle discs and they work for cleaning discolored weld metal and slight oxidation form larger areas quickly. I use these for steel only, too coarse for Aluminum. I use the regular roloc maroon discs for Aluminum. I spin all of these with a pnuematic 90 degree die grinder from Ingersol rand.
        Hope this helps,

Comment

Pj,
          Neighbor lent me some of the brown, maroon & blue Rolocs and I was happen with their performance in blending welded corners (welds were initially grinded down). I have been looking for a place to purchase these at a good price... I plan on using the DA for the big flat stuff... Thanks, it seems like I'm on the right track
          Chris
          Millermatic 210
          Spectrum 375
          [email protected]
          www.ckvalentidesigns.com

Comment

ChrisV:
            Rolocs can be bought discounted on ebay usually 100 or 250 lots but the cost per unit is much better than the auto supply and auto paint supply. I try to stay with the name brand but the off brand are ok if you are careful not to over speed the rated limit.

Happy hunting,

Comment

Pj,
              Well I gave the local Autobody supply places a call and they wanted aproximatley $80 (3M brand) for 125 - 6" psa discs and 25 Rolocs for about $25...there were small differneces in cost with grits. Not putting down 3M but the price is just out of the budget right now. I have been wathcing ebay and the deal on there haven't been the greatest lately. Then I contacted the dealer that sold me the Dynabrade DA and they swear by this company for there abrasives: http://www.ind.carborundumabrasives.com/
              100 - 6" PSA for $32 so I will give them a try...they also have an alternative to the Rolocs with a similar fastening system and a sample pack of these are on the way. I will let you know how they do..
              Chris
              Millermatic 210
              Spectrum 375
              [email protected]
              www.ckvalentidesigns.com

Comment

Working...
              X