tungsten grinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get it right

arcdawg, i think the grinder will help the hobbiest buy getting the angel and taper right. as you said you have been TIG'ing for 5 years as this will be my first TIG rig i'm thinking getting the grind right and constant will help me with the lerning curve. getting the point right is important in TIG right? i think $200-$250 to get it right is ok concidering i'm spending $2,500.00 on the welder thats only 10% or about what we have to spend on a foot peddel.

as i understand it you dont need a perfect grind but a good concistant 1 helps, so spending 10% of the welders caust for a good grind is werth doing for me.

after i lern to tig and maybe grind by hand i'll sell my lil sharpie to help someone else get started, but for now i think it is important and may decide it's just too cool to get rid of.

I'll give you all a personal report some time in late Jan. or feb. after i get mine and get a chance to give it a test drive.

so far i have a 150Amp 25' torch with flex head and a flowmeter on the way to me and $2100.00 saved for my dyn.200DX so it looks like ill be tigging in Jan.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

james, i think that its important to devolop the proper sharpining of a tungston by hand not machine...........just like i think that pulse is a handicap too.......get a bench grinder.......point the point of the tungston up ^ and you will get a nice point on it after a few trys.......

if you are a newb to tigging you will end up sharping that tungston every five minutes so you will get plenty of practice !

save the cash for the baby on the way

dawg

Comment

james i just pulled it up for you.........tungston grinder ........sorry for the bad link [email protected]

dawg

Comment

arcdawg

james i just pulled it up for you.........tungston grinder ........sorry for the bad link [email protected]

ummmm i dont get it what are you pulling up ????????? did i miss somthing
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by arcdawg
            just like i think that pulse is a handicap too
            Ahh, a traditionalist!

But I can't agree with the pulser opinion. How can it possibly be a handicap when you can just not use it? Anyway, I quite like my pulser, and I expect it will be handy if I ever need to weld some really thin sheet, which I undoubtedly will (art). Anyhow, in my case, I don't have a foot control, and doing this with the finger controller would be...um...close to impossible. At least for me! I've been experimenting with the pulser and can get some interesting beads with it, which I like, because aesthetics are a big part of my welds...at least they should be.

Here is one thing that might be really great about the Sharpie: It's totally portable, being no larger than a Dremel tool. A bench grinder is not as portable. This doesn't matter to me but it might to someone. I still want one though.

Comment

when i first started tigging i spent the majority of time grinding my tungston.........but after a month of standing in front of the grinder things changed and now i can go more or less all day without grinding........so one of those fancy tungston sharpeners would be a waste.......to me !

but everytime before i fire up the machine i put a new point on the tungston

pulsing.........well i learned on 0ld assed linde machines that more or less only had a on/off switch

so there was no option for pulse.........**** kids and there new fangled tekno
              logy (im 26 y0)

dawg

Comment

i have never used a dedicated grinder. i use a new fine grit wheel on my bench grinder. seems to work pretty well. i believe that knowing what the proper shape is, is most important, not how you got it. i'm getting better at it.

Comment

grinder

Arcdawg, I am presently using a belt sander that has a new belt and it seems to work great. I just would like to have a grinder as it is another tool. Isn't that the cool part. Thanks for all your input everyone.

Happy Holidays

Rob

Comment

rb455ho

what type of belt are you using ?? it would seem a standerd belt would rip up?
                    are you talking a standerd 3"X21" hand held belt sander???
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    JAMES

Comment

aphexafx, what sort of art are you doing????

Today 11:56 AM
                      fun4now
                      I also use a belt sander, 80 grit, Zirconia belts, but aluminum oxide also works....make sure the point of the tungsten is pointed in the direction the belt is moving, or it can catch the belt and break or get ripped out of your hand...they also make scotchbrite wheels for bench grinders which make a great polish after you have ground them. Hope this helps, Paul
                      More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Dawg:
                        On pipe line field work delicate equipment is not respected or kept up so I agree but I also like the finish of the machine finished tungsten. I would vote for grinding the tungstens in the shop and use the regular bench grinder as a last choice. I would prefer the use of chem-sharp for field work over the bench grinder.

Just my .02

Comment

pjseaman

I would prefer the use of chem-sharp for field work over the bench grinder.

i have herd the chem-sharp workd good on 1/16 and under tung. how well dose it work on the larger sizes like 3/32??
                          thanks for the help
                          ......or..........
                          hope i helped
                          sigpic
                          JAMES

Comment

I really like it, the difficulty I found using it was trying to sharpen the blunt fresh tungsten where you have to re-dip several times almost like washing the tungsten to a point. I would really like a grinder but without the funds I am sticking with chem sharp for now.

Peace,

Comment

no flats

looks like it would work ok for DC on steel but might be hard to get a flat on the tip for AC. looks like there is no real easy way to do it all.

i just orderd my foot controle, so all i need now is a work clamp and wire,and a dynasty.

well i gess ill try the grinder methoud atleast till i can aford the sharpie. who knows by the time i can aford the sharpie i may not want or need it.

seems like a chevy V/S for thing again some for dedicated grinders and some for the old bench grinder.

well atleast ther is a choice in the $200.00 range for thouse of us that dont make a living with our welders there just realy cool toys to some of us
                              thanks for the help
                              ......or..........
                              hope i helped
                              sigpic
                              JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now
                                well atleast ther is a choice in the $200.00 range for thouse of us that dont make a living with our welders there just realy cool toys to some of us
                                Well said. I have resisted posting a review of my PIII just for that reason. It's hard to justify reviewing an item that most here would not be able to afford.

You have a great attitude James. I think that technology can help all people wanting to get into welding. If you want a TG, then get it. If you don't, then keep your bench grinder. The most important thing is that you have fun at, and love, what you do. Seems like everyone here is not lacking in that dept.
                                Dynasty 350DX
                                Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                                MM 350P
                                MM Passport Plus
                                Spectrum 375 Extreme
                                08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Working...
                                X