Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need saw help - Im an idiot dont laugh lol.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need saw help - Im an idiot dont laugh lol.

1. can you use a mitre saw for metal?
    2. what is a chop saw?
    3. how do you cut angles on a band saw?
    D-dawgg
    Canadian eh!
    Canadian beer too strong for ya? Go to the USA! (no offence but american beer tastes like water compared to canadian)

You can use a mitre saw for aluminum or copper with a standard carbide tipped wood blade, not for use on steel as it turns to fast unless you use a cut off blade. A chop saw is similiar to a mitre saw but generally the vise swivels not the saw.If you are talking about a horizontal bandsaw either the saw will swivel or the vise will swivel. Scott

Comment

You can cut aluminum on a table saw if you feel brave. I have not done it.

Comment

I've seen it done with a carbide blade, and yes you need to be very careful. If you go to quickly it will stop the blade. When I seen it done It bent the AL angle, I was supporting the end and it pulled out of my hand. It stopped only about 1/8 from my chin cause it got caught on my carhart jacket.

Remember Safety Safety Safety
        Joe
        [email protected]

Comment

I have used the mitre saws from canadian tire(I see you're near toronto)

You have to use the cut off wheel type blade I think the saws come in 8" and 10" sizes

If you want a band saw you should check out princessauto.com (or .ca) they sell em

Comment

D,

Chop saws use abraisive disks rather than a toothed-type steel blade. There are also "dry-cut" metal saws that do use steel, toothed blades. Bandsaws have adjustabe vises that hold the stock at whatever angle you want to cut. If you are talking about portable band saws, there are miter attachments available for some brands; I don't know how well they work. A mitre saw blade spins way too fast to cut steel. It would be dangerous to try it.

Hank

PS: By the way, an "idiot" would not have bothered to ask the question....
            ...from the Gadget Garage
            Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
            Handler 210 w/DP3035
            TA185TSW
            Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

d-dawgg,

I have to disagree with you. You are not an idiot. If you were, you wouldn't ask questions, but rather charge ahead and make a mess of things and probably hurt yourself or others. You may be temporarliy ignorant of metal cutting saws, but that is 100% curable and you're well on your way.

There have been some recent threads on this board from folks discussing the virtures of bandsaws and chop saws. They are quite enlightening. I have a DeWalt dry-cut chop saw. Looks very much like a wood cutting saw. However, it roatates the 14" (35.6 cm) diameter, carbide toothed blade at 1,300 rpm. A wood cutting saw typically works at 3,900 rpm.

When I purchased my saw, it was much less expensive than a decent low-end bandsaw. From reading the referenced threads, that seems to have changed. A bandsaw would be very nice to have, but my limited garage space still drives me to the chop saw.

The vises built into these saws are a big concern. Most of the units I've seen on chop saws are poor, including the DeWalt I bought. I am lucky enough to have a machinist friend who built me a completly new base plate that allows the use of metal working clamps and fixtures like you might see used on a mill. Much nicer.

Good luck in your research.

Comment

pic werth a 1000 words

the chop saw looks like a miter saw but the work is put at an angle insted of the saw moving to the side to make the cut.
                in pic 2 you can see the miter gage for the chop saw, you set the fence to the angle then clamp down and the saw just comes strait down over the work. in pic 4 you will see the miter saw has a verry acurate swivel gage to alow you to move the blade to the angle of the cut wil the work stays strait against the fence at all times and the saw moves. as said earlyer the metal cutting blade spins a lot slower than the wood cutting blade.
                i got my chop saw at big lots on a father's day sail for $ 49.99 it has a 15A motor and came with an extra set of brushes. it has worked realy well for me for almost a year without any problems. on my budget that is a good thing

the last pic is of my assembly line just because i thought it looked cool and had my camera out in the shop so you get to se it LOL
                Attached Files
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

I guess after reading all the posts it should be quite evident that you must use the proper tool for the process. Your inviting injury otherwise. If tools were designed as multi purpose then you could change things such as rotational speed. They sure didn't put kick-back devices on table saws for the heck of it. Just my 2 cents. Just be careful once you lose an eye or finger or hand you'll never be the same.
                  The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

Comment

I have a bandsaw for cutting metal. What I like about it is that it doesn't create any sparks, even dry cutting with a bimetal blade, and it cuts curved pieces, and rips the length of stuff. An abrasive cut-off saw would probably start a fire in my shop. The only real downside to the bandsaw is that mine does not make perfectly square cuts. Since I am generaly doing something else to the cut after roughing it on saw, I don't care. But if I was making trailers and needed clean miters, I would chose something other than BS. The trade-off is I can't rough a knife, or rip tubing on the cut-off.

Comment

Gaslight

you should be able to get a square cut on the band saw have you tryed titening up the blade more to keep it from reflecting. it seems that i read that it needs to be tighter than 1 would expect to cut steel.
                      umm i could be rong but you might give it a try.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

Comment

I have found that on the dewalt saw when the material you are cutting gets to hot it will melt the plastic insert on the table. So for this reason i do not like it, but i did put a abrasive blade on this when i cut. I think i will try to cut the materila (aluminum pipe) with a carbide tip blade and see if it heats up too much.
                        Terence

Comment

Terence,
                          Your not using an abrasive wheel on a wood chop saw are you???
                          5 Passport Pluses
                          2 MM 212's
                          MM 210
                          MM 251 MIA
                          MM 350 P w/Python
                          Syncrowave 250
                          w/ tig runner
                          Trailblazer 302
                          12RC w/meters
                          Spectrum 1000
                          Spectrum 2050
                          2 Black BWEs
                          Joker BWE
                          Star & stripe BWE Digital
                          2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
                          CUMMINS BABY

Comment

Terence638

sounds like you put an abrasive blade on a wood saw.

you are looking for trubble, the wood saw's spin about 4X faster than an abrasive blade is rated for. if that blade fly's apart at 3000+ rpm's it is going to be uuuugleee
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            JAMES

Comment

Im not sure but I think I check the rpm on the disk i believe i did get a high rpm disc....but maybe not.
                              Terence

Comment

Working...
                              X