Just bought a syncro250dx---now I need to learn to tig weld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a syncro250dx---now I need to learn to tig weld

I just purchased a new Syncrowave 250dx tigrunner. The problem---I don't know how to tig weld. What is the best way to learn? Any good books or videos anyone recommends? Please help---any suggestions appreciated. Stuart

Now thats funny,
    Not being a smarta$$ but **** you forked over all that cash for a Tig welder and you dont know how to use it?
    You must be REAL serious about learning. There is a tig manual you can download from this site for free.It's informative,it'll give you the basics to get started.
    Weld safe,and have fun.

Comment

download

Where do you download it from (i.e. where on this site)?

Comment

sshelly,

You can download it here chapter by chapter. It is a good value as the market price for the printed edition is $25.00. The download is free. Take a trip through it and see how you do. There are a lot of guys on the forum that will be happy to help you. Some very experienced TIG guys and some that have the basics. You can learn from both. Good luck and welcome aboard. By the way the download site is a link from the Miller Welds Website.

Comment

sshelly,

Congratulations on your purchase. The Syncrowave 250DX is a fine machine! Be sure to pay attention to the correct breaker and power hook up. If you want to fully utilize this machine's capabilities and features, you must have it properly wired.

Comment

Hi sshelly, I have the same machine at work. Do you have power hooked up to it yet?

Comment

welding

Don't have it hooked to power yet. That will happen this weekend. Thanks for the links to the download. I noticed the machine has a bunch of dials that are not there on the right side of its face. I'm assuming this is for a pulse control? How much do these cost? Is it work buying now? I only paid $2000 for the machine (long story), so I do have a little extra money to burn. Thanks for the help so far. Keep the help rolling. I'm planning on running to the local steel shop to pick up scraps to practice on. Thx again.

Comment

2g's **** i would of bought it to and i havent touched a tig in over 15 years.
                (Well actually last week i messed with one for a few minutes)
                Sorry about the link,I meant to say the Miller site.

Comment

There are two optional boards you can get. I would hold off for now.

Comment

If money is burning a hole it can be well spent on a good water cooler and quality superflex torch, also consumables and a bench grinder you can dedicate to tungsten sharpening. Ive been tig welding for 6 years now and thought that I was pretty good and knew quite a bit but the handbook I downloaded here was very enlightening. I think just about anybody here can say that they learn something new about this feild all the time. Be sure to read your owners manual thoroughly before even turning on the machine also if power isnt getting hooked up till this weekend read that handbook, and I think you will be well on your way to learning to tig weld. Any problems or accomplishments are always welcome and more easily explained and rewarded if you post pic. congadulations and enjoy.
                    Trailblazer 302g
                    coolmate4
                    hf-251d-1
                    super s-32p
                    you can never know enough

Comment

i had hardly any tig experience when i bought my machine.

Comment

Woah!!!!!

That's a lot of money to spend on a machine that you don't know how to use and don't even know how go about with the process of the machine.In my opinion I would of spend my time learning how to gas weld with a $500 dollar torch set then try and tackling the famous heli-arc welding technique.Oh well it's yours now so enjoy and let us know how you and the machine get along!

I would suggest in spending some time in some Gas Tungsten Arc Welding classes at a local trade or vocational school if they are available but if not then I don't know how you will learn unless you really practice and use the steps from a study guide on tig or an internet site.Good Luck! I only started to use tig after I practically Mastered Gas Welding,Brazing,and Soldering! Then I bought me a Syncrowave 350 but please remember that tig is a very expensive process and if not for the machine with you already got it's then the consumables,parts,and gas! You have my best of wishes!

Comment

I am in the final week of my GTAW class and just bought a Dynasty 200DX, so I have books for referance and fresh memory fo the facts and figures if I can help email me through the forum or at [email protected] make sure it has a title of Tig question or it wont get opened. Glade to help if I can.

BTW sync 250 is a nice machine, used one in school and also used inverters. I prefer the inverters since space is limited.

Extra money list:
                          1] Welding hood-Miller big window elite
                          2] gloves- tig and stick gloves are different get both
                          3] welding jacket cotton is ok leather is better
                          4] cylinder of Argon- plain to start with then try addition of helium
                          5] clamps, chipping hammer, wire brushes for {SS Aluminum and mild steel**

This list will get you started, good luck

Comment

CHIPPING HAMMER?

If you need a chipping hammer for your tig welds, I think you need to take the class again.

Obviously just kidding!

Comment

Originally posted by sparx
                              CHIPPING HAMMER?

If you need a chipping hammer for your tig welds, I think you need to take the class again.

Obviously just kidding!
                              ROFL

Comment

Working...
                              X