Millermatic 175 versus Hobart Handler 180

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 175 versus Hobart Handler 180

I will be buying either a millermatic 175 or a hobart handler 180 in about two weeks... have only stick-welded mild steel in the past, and am looking forward to a good wirefeed system that goes up to 1/4" in one pass, and don't plan on doing any aluminum. There are some great Christmas sales going on the millermatic 175, where it is the same price as the HH 180... If price is the same, which machine should I pick up, and why?
    Thanks for your help/comments!

Do a search on this subject. Discussed here lots....

The consensus with the majority is the Hobart has an easier tuning adjustment with the tapped voltage vs. the infinite, fine tuning Miller 175. Not too many machines Miller takes a back seat to. This is one of them. If you have your heart set on a 175-180 class go for it. Few hundred more bones gets you a MM210... For the 175-180 amp class....Go with the Hobart, you won't regret it....
    Wheat Stalker

Millermatic 210
    Dynasty 200DX
    Fisher CZ-5...CZ-3D..
    Trek 5500
    1966 Amphicar

Comment

i chose miller

i was looking at the same choice as you a year ago except the miller was about $100.00 more than the hobart.
      this is 1 of those endless arguments taped V/S infinet.

i chose miller over the hobart due to the suttle upgrades in quality.although they look the same miller has a few upgraded parts in there that may or may not ever make a differance.
      as for tap being easyer to lern i have never used any MIG but the MM135 i have and i have no truble with the infenet settings.
      if it were me i would and did go Miller.with no regrets
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

JerryD,

Welcome to the board.

If the dealer you are buying from carries both macines, take 'em both for a test drive.

I started with a MM135, which has the infinitely variable voltage and wire speed tracking features, and I did quite well with it, but other than O/A, I had not welded, so I fit the "newbie" profile that the welder was designed to accommodate.

Not having ever used a Hobart machine, it would be unfair to offer a comparison, but since I "graduated" to the MM210, I can say I like the tapped voltage machine better.

Hank
        ...from the Gadget Garage
        Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
        Handler 210 w/DP3035
        TA185TSW
        Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

JerryD:
          Welcome, and I hope we hear from you either machine you choose. Both of these machines are good equipment. If dollars are equal get the miller. I started on a tap machine{weldpak100 lincoln} and it was ok then I took a class in mig and learned how much I could do with quality machinery then I was hooked, shortly there after I bought my mm210 and I have tested nearly all of the machines near this in output. I wanted to do Aluminum, you don't therefore the HH180or MM175 will get the job done.

The real trick is learning technique and learning your machine. I have known guys that as long as they stuck with one machine they were great welders but move tham to another machine and they had fits{ME} I got to know what settings that machine needed and was comfortable with it. This will be for you also, what you get used to you will like best. These machines are manufactured by sister companies in ITW and the quality is premium so you will get satisfaction either way.

Both here and on the Hobart board you will find loyalist but I believe the machines your interested in are very near equal in all catagories. I like my millers and don't think I'll have any others for a long while but I nearly bought the hobart 210 cousin instead of my mm210.

The fact is your name is on the check, and you have the final say, I hope you enjoy your choice.

Weld well,

Comment

short and simple

Miller is the best there is if you can aford it get it.

concidering the price is the same, why be a miller wanabee when you can be a miller
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

I must disagree with the Miller is best logic here. Having used a MM130 XP, talking to people who have used/owned both Miller and Honart and owning a HH140 I recommend the Hobart over the Miller. Once you step up to the 210-250 class the Miller MM210 is heads and shoulders better than the Hobart.

Having said that, if blue fits your decor better, it is not a "bad" choice. I am happier with taps for Mig and infinite on stick; that's not just me but a lot of others. As already stated, its your money. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the excellent advice

Thanks for all the excellent advice to my question, comparing an HH 180 to a millermatic 175... Nice to have some experienced people helping with the thought process. Will post how this comes out.

Happy holidays, friends.

JerryD

Comment

Working...
                X