X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hankj
    replied
    To all,

Thank you for posting your comments. Extremely helpfull as they have always been. I'm pretty pumped about the whole thing. Spray transfer! WOW! It sure does sound like it is doing the business!

Just think, in the spring, you can walk me through my fledgling TIG steps...

Hank

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Hank:
    Your getting it, to spray start up close like regular short- circuit and once the pool starts to open up pull the gun back to a distance of about 1/2"-3/4" and get the move on, on .090 you'll develop monster holes quickly. I have welded 16ga and 18ga with this unit and yes it is thinner than the spec sheet shows, but hand speed is the trick, get a puddle and get fast as there is almost no time for transition between puddle and holes. I started on thicker material and worked down to the thinner. I think it is easier this way but if you get it on the thin stuff you'll rock on the thicker later.

Keep it up, your closer than you think!!!!

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    replied
    Don,

It's .090. .030 4043 on tap 3 @ 52 WS. Ar is set at 30CFH.

Hank

Leave a comment:

• Sundown
    replied
    Originally posted by hankj
    <snip>Weld cracked along the first inch, but then the base piece deformed and the weld held up. Killer suff, this aluminum.
    Hank
    It's easy to get a cold weld at the start with this stuff, I sometimes will use about a 1" ramp on both ends, then just cut it off. I think as we get more time in they might not be needed any longer, at least I hope so. Keep the pictures up

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Keep it up, Hank. You'll be building a boat before you know it.

In answer to your question, yes it will spray alu. If you have the Miller MIG calculator, you'll notice that no short circuit values are given, only spray. I can even get my MM 135 to spray. I haven't been able to control it much due to liner problems. The liner prob is history. Now, if I can just get the time to play around with it. FWIW, I was told that spray is the best way to go with alu. He said that short circuit will not have sufficient penetration. Mine didn't with short c, but did with a spray arc......so much so it would blow big ol' holes if I wasn't careful!

What thickness are you welding? Did I read on Hobart that it is 1/4? What size wire and type?? I would guess it is .035 4043. I'm running .030 4043 on 1/8 flats.

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    replied
    OK, the battery is gone, guys. Honest.

Here's a couple more pic's.

Tuning it in...

Nice sound here, can you spray with this setup? Sure had that "hiss".

Well, need more practice, but I got the travel down good near the end.

Bent it in the vise. Weld cracked along the first inch, but then the base piece deformed and the weld held up.

Killer suff, this aluminum.

Hank

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Very nice, Hank.

I am playing with alu and the MM 135 as well. Your beads look much better than mine. The spoolgun and 210 are a better steup than my overgrown toaster. Keep us updated on your progress.

BTW, has anyone mentioned the battery??

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    replied
    Yeah, Darth Weldor strikes again! Don't forget your deep-cycle marine battery for under the table, George.

Hank

Leave a comment:

• Sundown
    replied
    Hank,

OK, now I need a "dedicated" area to use my 3035 in, I will have to get right on that. Wow, you learn something new here all the time Looks like you are havin' some fun now, Darth

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Wheat:
    I have the spoolmate 3035 and now the D200DX and I am currently much better of with the 3035 in Aluminum than the Dynasty. All in good time I will get there with practice, alot of practice.

Peace,

Leave a comment:

• Mike W
    replied
    Looking good Hank!

Leave a comment:

• Wheat
    replied
    Hank, Congrats on the new spoolgun. I'm probably the only one in history that bought a 210 w/spoolgun, never used the spoolgun and sold it....Go figure??? Actually took that money and will get a 200DX eventuallly. You got enough "angle of the dangle" where you welded the pipe nipple to the bench,,,Don't want that spoolgun to fall out accidently...Not bad looking welds for a rookie....Have fun.....

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    juce it up

hummmm now see i just thought he was guna use his new 3035 to recharge that battery.
    well some people will try anything once.

Leave a comment:

• aphexafx
    replied
    Originally posted by hankj
    Bulldog,

I'm certain I'll hear about it...

Hank
    Hey Hank, you need top move the battery from under your welding table. This is a fire/explosion hazard! Hehe. I'm just kidding.

Looks good, cool setup.

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    replied
    Bulldog,

The battery resides elsewhere! I saw that in the pic and crapped. How an old fart like me can get so excited over a spoolgun the he forgets to move a lead-acid battery from under his welding table escapes me. I'm certain I'll hear about it from the Brethren! The buskets are full of 8d and 16d galvy nails - no sweat there.

And fun, you betcha!

Hank

Leave a comment:

Working...
X