Pleasant Surprise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pleasant Surprise!

This is a big thanks to Profax for meeting my specific need in a GTAW torch. I searched without success for a water cooled, 500 amp, continuous duty TIG torch with a manual gas valve, and the nice braided super flexible cables. Profax is making the torch at a nominal charge and delivery will be four (4) weeks or less. This is the first request for such a unit and they will have to build the mold. That is the reason for a longer than usual delivery. I am impressed. I will post pictures when it arrives.

HAWK,
    Sounds pretty cool. Would you be willing to share with us the job that requires such a hand held beast?
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

I'm impressed too. Wow! They should market it and name it... "The HAWK".

Comment

What size tungsten do you need for 500 amps.

Comment

Hey HAWK thats quite the manual torch. You couldnt modify an automated torch for manual use? Or is that what profax is doing for you. They have to make the mold-WOW- do you have a lot of pull over there or are they just willing to go the extra mile to make you happy?
          Trailblazer 302g
          coolmate4
          hf-251d-1
          super s-32p
          you can never know enough

Comment

Think you'll also need a water-cooled pair of gloves, a flame retardant suit, and a shade 35 lens...

Hank
            ...from the Gadget Garage
            Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
            Handler 210 w/DP3035
            TA185TSW
            Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Kevin,

The material is very thick copper and even with considerable preheat requires high amperage and mutiple passes for the fillets. I might see if you would put your Piranha III to the test on 5/32" and 3/16" tungsten if I send you a few pieces. If not, I can get them from Diamond Ground.

Mike,

I know 1/8" 2% lanthanted will handle 400 amps with a 35-45 degree taper. I am hoping for 5/32" tungsten, but may have to go to 3/16" diameter electrodes.

Aphexafx,

Cool idea! I wonder if they would go for it???

Dyn88,

I don't have any pull over there with Profax. They are just willing to go the extra mile. I always try to do the same. It usually pays dividends in the long run.

Hankj,

A 14 shade at 400 amps is too dark so it should be fine at 500 amps or so I hope. This is not aluminum so the radiant heat and light is not nearly as bad as you might think.

Comment

What machine are you using to get to 500 amps?

Comment

[QUOTE=HAWK]Kevin,

The material is very thick copper and even with considerable preheat requires high amperage and mutiple passes for the fillets. I might see if you would put your Piranha III to the test on 5/32" and 3/16" tungsten if I send you a few pieces. If not, I can get them from Diamond Ground.

HAWK,
                  I'd be glad to grind yer tungs. I still need to post a review of the PIII but it has proven its weight in gold (37 pounds? ). If your serious, shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll send you my address.
                  Dynasty 350DX
                  Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                  MM 350P
                  MM Passport Plus
                  Spectrum 375 Extreme
                  08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Originally posted by joebass
                    What machine are you using to get to 500 amps?

Joe,

I will be running 2 machines in parallel to produce a maximum output of 700 amps DCSP.

Comment

I thought you could only do that with stick. will you just run them with no foot pedal or are you going to run one wide open and foot pedal the second, or get tricky and put one foot on each pedal(now that you would need to post picks of)? How did you make out with the dynasty in ac? Its tough stuff huh? Some of the stuff I get is even bigger than what I sent you. 1/2 x 36 x 18(what a heat sink). I usually put a burner under it and weld over the da#@ blast furnace(like welding a 12000# drop hammer shoe)
                      Trailblazer 302g
                      coolmate4
                      hf-251d-1
                      super s-32p
                      you can never know enough

Comment

dyn88,

I do not have any definite answers or opinions other than tough stuff. However, to answer you paralleling ?: One machine will run wide open while the other machine will be used to add additional amperage via its remote.
                        One machine does not have HF and the other machine's HF trigger will be physically disconnected via the trigger connector pins. The DCSP power will be provided via a common block totally insulated and isolated from all possible grounds to avoid loosing the 'Lift-Arc". The ground will be provided by a common block also. Does this help?

BTW: I have a few ideas that may work w/o the paralleling sequence described above. This will take some time, but I feel is very doable.

Comment

I used to work on battery chargers with multiple rectifiers (power supplies). I remember one where the load was 425 amps. Four 100 amp rectifiers were running at the current limit of 100 amps. The 5th was at 25 amps and controlled the battery float voltage. A 6th one was sitting there on line at a lower voltage in case one of the others died.

Comment

So Hawk, with that much heat going into your part, how do you plan on maintaining a non oxidized finish? I assume that you would be welding in a glove box. If you dont have one, I happen to have a spare SS glove box that i am not using currently....

Comment

GTA/SPEC,

Good question. I do not have a box and would love to use one. This is a new venture for me and any additional info is very much appreciated. I lost your email when my server crashed. Mine is [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X