• Show
Clear All

• flash_burn
    replied
    You guys making Dan feel welcomed here.

Leave a comment:

• Teeps
    replied
    you guys give me a headache, what a pita circuit / pcb design!!!

Leave a comment:

• aphexafx
    replied
    Originally posted by Steved
    Depending on how cool the cooling water is, you may need to incorporate a thermister in the tank and one on the handle, feed the data from both thermistors into a microcontroller, and use a state machine to control the pump.
    Sweet. And don't forget to interface the microcontroller to your welder so that in case coolant is interupted (for whatever reason) or is to low to pump, you'll disable weld output before the torch burns up. You can do this via the 14 pin remote connector. And while you're at it, build a triac controller for the cooler motor so that the microcontroller can vary the fan/flow to the most efficient speed and thus reduce running noise and current draw as well. j/k.

Leave a comment:

• Steved
    replied
    If you are up for the work.

Attach a thermister to the torch handle and a circuit to incorporate hysterisis. Use the information from the thermister to turn the pump on and off. With this set up, the heat of the torch handle will turn the pump on or off regardless of the temperature of the coolent flow.

Depending on how cool the cooling water is, you may need to incorporate a thermister in the tank and one on the handle, feed the data from both thermistors into a microcontroller, and use a state machine to control the pump.

Or....just do it manually.

Leave a comment:

• aphexafx
    replied
    Does anyone know if any of Miller's external coolant systems feature Cool-on-Demand, like the built in Syncrowave systems?

Anyhow, the switch is on the front of most of the units, like the Coolmate3, so after you're done welding and you have given the torch some cool time, it's easy to switch the cooler off. Just remember to turn it back on when the time comes.

If you're trying to close the coolant loop via a solenoid, I don't think this would be a good idea because that's not going to stop the pump and may burn it up (if there isn't a bypass valve). Also, what would trigger the solenoid? And will you incorporate a delay so the torch has coolant flow time after your done welding?

The only way to implement this yourself would be to get an inline liquid thermostat and use it to switch a relay on the cooler's input (or the cooler's motor directly, but that would void the warranty). Actually, this wouldn't work either, now that I think about it, because if you stop the flow then there would be no way for the thermostat to sample the current torch temperature and it would never restart. So nevermind, this wouldn't work...

I think the best thing to do would be to turn it on and off manually.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Rhodes
    Guest started a topic 200 dx water cooled

200 dx water cooled

I am about to purchase a 200 Dx with a water cooled torch. Does anyone know if Miller makes a water selenoid that could be used on this machine? I will use it intermitently for long periods and It would be nice not to hear the water cooler running when I'm not welding as well as extending the life of the water cooler. Thanks for any imput you guys might have.
Working...
X