No announcement yet.

Any experience with this foot control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience with this foot control?

Hi,

Making my final list of Dynasty 200DX accessories. I'm struggling a little with the $200+ plastic (but heavy duty) 14pin Miller pedal. Anyone try one of these:

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11774&item=3854813 231&rd=1

Any reliability/durability issues with the Miller RFCS-14HD?

Thanks

Miller RFCS-14HD

have herd good things about the HD and it is defenetly werth a few bucks more to go from the standerd RFCS-14 up to the RFCS-14HD.

as for the 1 you found on e-bay it looks like it's about $90.00 less than the HD it would depend on how often you intend to use it. as a home hobbiest it might be werth saving the $90.00, you could get a torch with that i would check to see if they offer a warentee befor jumping on it.

p.s. if you get the 1 on e-bay give us a quality report when you get it.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

The price of these is kind of high for a variable resistor and a switch. I think it is like the $500 toilet seat in a airplane. The whole plane costs so much that the toilet seat is just a drop in the bucket. I made my own foot control.

Comment

How did you make it? I'm curious how it's setup. After a while I would like to put stuff like that together, also if I ever have a problem with one I would like alittle information on what I'm looking at. Maybe you could post a schematic and or some pic of the insides. thanks
        Joe
        [email protected]

Comment

Here is a couple of pictures:
          http://photobucket.com/albums/v110/tek798/Welding/

Comment

thanks, the way you made it does it wire in where the orginal controller went or you wired it in?
            Joe
            [email protected]

Comment

It did not have another one. I started from scratch with the scr setup. R4 on the schematic is the variable resistor in the foot control. The switch is used to trigger the high freq box.

Comment

cool, if you don't mind me asking how much would that pedal cost if I bought the parts today.
                Joe
                [email protected]

Comment

There is a guy on the Hobart board that just bought some scr's for $7.50 I think. Once you have those, the rest of the parts are very cheap, a few bucks.

Comment

It makes me wonder why the manufactered ones are so expensive. Are they setup the same way, or are they solidstate. It was covered before in a post but i don't remember.
                    Joe
                    [email protected]

Comment

Just a variable resistor and a switch.

Comment

Yah! That was my gripe a week or so ago. And consider this: The foot pedal costs, what, $200US. And the Coolmate3 costs $500US? There is a HUGE difference in the complexity and components for the two, more than 1-1/2 times the difference, I think. So either the Coolmate3 is a HUGE deal, or the foot pedal is VERY MUCH NOT A HUGE deal. Hmm. OK, last time I mention it...

I have an old CryBaby Wah-Wah pedal...maybe I could convert it...

Comment

One reason for the cost is that when you make it you fix it when you buy it you expect warranty! I have seen a couple failures due to being dropped, the interior components are still delicate electronics.

Peace,

Comment

Originally posted by pjseaman
                            One reason for the cost is that when you make it you fix it when you buy it you expect warranty!
                            Well, that's true. And you know, having a warranty on a part that belongs on the floor and is stepped on by nature of it's function is pretty cool. Well, there you go! That's an excellent point.

Comment

Hey, I thought you were going to buy one of mine. $150 bucks canadian just saved you $150+ bucks more....

Comment

Working...
                              X