No announcement yet.

Maxstar 150 STL questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great for anger control, a wheelie every time you get angry(a good wheelie always calms my nerves and makes me smile)
    Trailblazer 302g
    coolmate4
    hf-251d-1
    super s-32p
    you can never know enough

Comment

Originally posted by Gaslight
      Mine has a bunch of cups, but what I was figuring is tungsten is actualy quite a lot like copper in appearance. Is it just some kind of spacer?
      Gaslight, I don't know your level of understanding about the TIG torch, but this might help you understand what the tungsten looks like and how the upper end of the torch fits together:

Start with the first, labeled, picture. Functionally, the collet is what the tungsten is inserted into and is what physically grips the tungsten (and transfers electrical power to it).

The collet is held inside the collet body which screws into the torch body. The collet grips the tungsten when the back cap is screwed into the other side of the torch body and applies pressure to it against the inside front of the collet body.

Finally, the gas cup screws onto the collet body until it is snug against the front teflon gasket (white ring, not labeled) which provides a gas seal. The little round rubber band on the back cap does this on the other end against the rear teflon gasket (other white ring, also not labeled) and provides a gas seal for the back end.

The second picture gives you an idea of how the parts interact inside the torch body.

When your torch is assembled it should look like the last picture. This torch, however, is not ready to weld because the tungsten is not sharpened, as you'll notice (and it's sticking out a bit much, but I wanted it to be visible).

Hope this helped!
      Attached Files

Comment

Aphexafx, very nice illustrations, esp. the second one.....I understand how everything works myself, but I am sure there are very many who can use the information presented this way. Again, very nice and very helpful.
        Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
        Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
        Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
        Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

aphexafx

great job.
          that's got to be the best representation of a torch assembly i have ever seen. i cant think of any way of making it clearer as to how it works and where things go.
          supper sweet pic. work.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

The other day I went to get a torch for work. The saleman took 30 min to assemble the torch to ensure he had the right parts. I was laughing so hard on the inside I couldn't think of a polite way to tell him he had most of the parts backward.
            he could have used that diagram
            Joe
            [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I looked at the parts again in daylight, and they are what I would expect tungsten to look like, except what showed outside of the various safety warnings on the package was the Orange paint, which must have looked like copper in the artificial light. I gather that makes the electrodes ceriated, and not noticeably radioactive.

I was surprised that each electrode came with a cup, but upon inspection they are all different sizes. I haven't ordered the pedal yet, but I will.

None of these are what I would call sharp, I guess I will have to get a shaper for that too.

Comment

Working...
              X