Computer problems- no problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer problems- no problem

I rebuilt the operating system tonight, works great even downloaded the tig books from the miller site. I have fought with a corrupted version of xp for 4 monthes and got a new version and bam its fixed.

Yaaaaaahooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Paul,

How'd your O/S get beat up? Have thee not the latest anti-viral expunging stuff?

I just backed the whole thing up last week - 12 CD's!!

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

I actually recieved a corrupted vesion of xp, that I loaded to replace windowsME that crashed frequently. The hint of problems was not being able to add or remove programs, I reloaded the xp 2 times still no luck, got a new version and wow its perfect!

Comment

I was mired in Win98 on an old IBM Aptiva for way too long. Got me a Dell 2400 w/Celeron and XP - love this thing... Now, if the century ever cathes up with Browns Valley (or is it the reverse?) we might be able to operate on something other than a dial-up at a baud rate higher than 3K!!!!!!!!!

Hank
        Handler 210 w/DP3035
        TA185TSW

Comment

Same thing here. too far from telco trunk for dsl and no cable this far out either. Only thing left is satellite and that's too expensive to justify.

Dial-up Dennis
          Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
          Millermatic Challenger 172
          VictorO/A
          Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
          Esab PCM-875
          Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

I am right there with you guys, Nothing out here except dial up, unless you want to fork over 500.00 for a satilite installation.

Comment

Some of the Malware comes in frequently on the net could delete the Add-Remove part of the OP System. A complete rebuild should help from the original Install CD. Have to format the drives though.. I had this problem before. If you need an upgrade anyway than go buy the new OP System othervise the original should work ok. I like to use Adaware to keep the *******s at bay.....

Comment

I use 3 different spyware programs well actually 4 and they never get threw.

1 spywareblaster keeps 98% of spyware from even making it to your computer.

2 spybot S&D finds the ones that do get in.

3 adware finds the ones spybot missed

4 Aol spyware protection everything is gone by the time i run this one.

I am real paranoid about spyware. Can't you tell?

Comment

This is the reason I switched to DSL from MSN's service. I didn't get a virus or spyware, I had a bad copy of Xp pro that never worked properly and the longer it ran the worse it got. I reformatted the C: drive and started from scratch, now it runs great, better than ever!

Thanks,

Comment

May I suggest a way to keep 99% of all spyware from being on your computer, AND doesn't crash? www.mozilla.org/firefox. Greatest internet browser ever. Completely free and user friendly.
                    -Tanner

Comment

[QUOTE=Tanner]May I suggest a way to keep 99% of all spyware from being on your computer, AND doesn't crash? www.mozilla.org/firefox. Greatest internet browser ever. Completely free and user friendly.[/QUOTE

I have firefox also, It's the best thing out, plus it speeds up my dsl.
                      I also use most of the spy stuff that migmanic uses.

I thought AOL was the worst of the worst, when it comes to spying.
                      I bet they will not even allow you to download Mozzilla !!!!

Comment

Tanner,

Merci'.

Question: is Firefox fully compatible with IE 6.0? I use a lot of sites that require IE (minimum) and I know so little about internet protocols that I'd never find my way out of trouble ( or even recognize it) with the browser if it happened.

Hank
                        Handler 210 w/DP3035
                        TA185TSW

Comment

Hankj,
                          As far as I can tell, every website that needs explorer that I've been to works just fine on Firefox
                          -Tanner

Comment

Well, I'm gonna go for it, then. I can still keep IE and just make Firefox the default browser, I guess, and go back if I need to. If you guys don't see me around, I screwed it up!

Hank
                            Handler 210 w/DP3035
                            TA185TSW

Comment

Tanner,

OK, I'm running on that bad boy now. I liked the fact that it allowed me to set it as the default automatically, and it seems to be working fine. Pretty slick. As soon as I get used to the fact that "favorites" are now "bookmarks", and stuff like that, I'll probably like it a lot, too!

Hank
                              Handler 210 w/DP3035
                              TA185TSW

Comment

Working...
                              X