• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sale at Airgas MM251

FYI,

Airgas has a flyer out for a sale 11/1-1/31

One item, the MM251 they are advertising for 1799.00
    I picked up the flyer at a local branch, they said that would be about the best they could do on that unit (when I asked them if they price-match).

That price isn't bad, about 20 bux more than brwelder, and about $37 more than cyberweld.

I never thought about it, but sales tax would bring it up to $1906.00
    Yikes, that would make it about $144.00 cheaper @ cyberweld.
    If they would drop the price to make up for some of that sales tax, or discount a spoolgun, or a tank or something I'd be willing to pay more locally.

Airgas pricematch around your areas?

tax

tax is a big chunk when it comes to the home shop VS the net. i think we would all prefer to buy localy but some times it comes down to how much $$$ ya got and even if the local dealer will match the web they cant tuch it after tax. walk into cyberweld and they would have to tax you and you would be the same as local shop.
    the net guys drop the price the same as most local shops and make it up in volume and no overhead as they mostly dont stock it just have miller ship direct to you and drop a few $$ in there pocket. the real savings is in skipping the tax buy ordering from out of state.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

I don't think that Airgas will price match. There is only so far that they can discount. I gave all my local dealers a list of eqipment that I will be buying at around 12,000. Almost all items were cheaper that any internet price that I got. Airgas was the second cheapest out of the 5 local dealers. My regular dealer beat them by 1,000. The final price from them is just over 9,000. I still buy all my gas from airgas though as they are the cheapest lease and have the best selection. They even fill my owned cylinders. That I bought used and the ones that came from another dealer. I am very lucky to have the 2 best dealers in Rochester.

Comment

Hey guys remember if you have a problem with a machine and you bought it from the local. Then they might be able to help you more than just bring it in and check it out when they get time. My airgas dealer matched the net but they were close anyway, I paid more with the taxes but If {big IF** tomorrow god forbid I had a problem I could be assured that they would get it through the shop quick as a whip! I buy all my supplies from them and they know it, its called loyalty, each and every time I go there they ask about my wife and how we are doing, the personal touch is worth a few bucks.

Peace,

Comment

I thought the MM210 w/3035 and dual rack price of $1640 was OK, too. Of course, I had to pay the piece for the Governator, but that's life in the land of fruits and nuts!!

As far as gas goes, AIRGAS is the only game in town. My other dealer re-sells AIRGAS stuff.

Hank
          ...from the Gadget Garage
          Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
          Handler 210 w/DP3035
          TA185TSW
          Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

joebass

who did you get the best price from in rochester?

i'm almost ready to get my dyn.200dx and rochester is only 45 min. north of me. i could use a good price localy for shoure.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

I thought that I had already mentioned it was Mahany Welding Supply. Airgas is a close 2nd. Jackson in my opinion is terrible and way overpriced.(But I do go there from time to time because the carry Walter abrasives who make some incredible flapdiscs and zip wheels). Danes and Rochester Welding Supply are mainly Red dealers and so was Jackson for a long time. I would call Mahany with the lowest price that you can find and talk to the manager. I know for sure that they will beat Jacksons price on just about anything. Almost 2 years ago I walked out of there with a 300DX TIGrunner for a great price. They beat BR Welder by a few hundred at the time, who had the best price that I could find. Thay have went out of their way to treat me good.

I knew that I had given you their name :http://www.millermotorsports.com/mbo...ghlight=mAHANY

Comment

For those New Yorkers who are basing their decision to buy out of state to avoid paying sales tax, be aware that you are still responsible to pay sales tax to New York even though the purchase was made out of state. New York is starting to get tough on these type of transactions. You are now required to indicate on your state tax return the amount of your purchases that were made out of state. I know that you can save a lot of money by not indicating these purchases, but if they catch you, the repurcussions will be a lot worse. I happen to be a CPA that loves to work with his hands. My other business is building boats.

Comment

Originally posted by Teeps
                  FYI,

Airgas has a flyer out for a sale 11/1-1/31

One item, the MM251 they are advertising for 1799.00
                  I picked up the flyer at a local branch, they said that would be about the best they could do on that unit (when I asked them if they price-match).

That price isn't bad, about 20 bux more than brwelder, and about $37 more than cyberweld.

I never thought about it, but sales tax would bring it up to $1906.00
                  Yikes, that would make it about $144.00 cheaper @ cyberweld.
                  If they would drop the price to make up for some of that sales tax, or discount a spoolgun, or a tank or something I'd be willing to pay more locally.

Airgas pricematch around your areas?
                  $1800 sure doesn t seem like much of a sale price to me, considering that i purchased my MM 251 for $1570 this last summer when most places were advertising it for $1700+. i do happen to live in Oregon though , where we have no sales tax. Question, in states with a sales tax, does the welding supply store have to pay a tax on the unit when they purchase it from Miller?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
                    $1800 sure doesn t seem like much of a sale price to me, considering that i purchased my MM 251 for $1570 this last summer when most places were advertising it for $1700+. i do happen to live in Oregon though , were we have no sales tax. Question, in states with a sales tax, does the welding supply store have to pay a tax on the unit when they purchase it from Miller?
                    In Texas the dealer pays no tax if he has a tax ID. The tax is paid on the retail sale. If he had to pay also it would complicate bookeeping. People with a tax ID are supposed to pay tax on things bought for their business, but most pay it at the end of the month/quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by cope
                      In Texas the dealer pays no tax if he has a tax ID. The tax is paid on the retail sale. If he had to pay also it would complicate bookeeping. People with a tax ID are supposed to pay tax on things bought for their business, but most pay it at the end of the month/quarter.
                      Different here, with a tax ID number you buy tax free and pay tax on what you retail back out. At least thats the way it was in the 80's when I had the shop and I think it's still the same.
                      Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                      Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                      Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                      Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

joebass

thank's i'll look him up in the book.

sorry to make you repeat youre self my noodle dosent work like it used to , probly due to all the pills the doc got me on. kinda foggy a lot of the time.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

jgspilot

i must have misspoken, i wasent sugjesting that you should avoid paying taxes. was just trying to show that it is hard for your local shop to get below the net price because of tax.
                          the net guy's only make a cuple $100 on the sail so if your local guy was to drop the price to match it with tax included he wouldnt make anything at all or lose $$.
                          the tax on a dynasty is like $206.00 so your local dealer would have to be $200 under the net price just to get you the same deal.
                          thanks for the help
                          ......or..........
                          hope i helped
                          sigpic
                          JAMES

Comment

Just talked to the Lynnweld dealer in Joplin and they agreed to match the $1428 price the Vinita Ok. dealer shot me in the 180SD. Now just need to get the BOSSES approval! Lynnweld is where I had bought my O/A stuff with 15 year lease on the bottles. When I talked to local guy here in Miami he said he couldn't touch that price and to jump on it.

As to the tax issue in Ok the tax id is supposed to only be used for resale items. Items taken from stock for internal use are supposed to be listed on a form and the tax sent in. There is also some new thing on the state tax form for items bought out of state.

Dennis
                            Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
                            Millermatic Challenger 172
                            VictorO/A
                            Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
                            Esab PCM-875
                            Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
                              $1800 sure doesn t seem like much of a sale price to me, considering that i purchased my MM 251 for $1570 this last summer when most places were advertising it for $1700+. i do happen to live in Oregon though , where we have no sales tax. Question, in states with a sales tax, does the welding supply store have to pay a tax on the unit when they purchase it from Miller?
                              $1570.00 do tell!!?!?!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X