Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hankj
    replied
    Why Mikey! You mean you can't ID an O/A cut?

My plasma cutter is a JET 4 x 6 bandsaw! (Or that O/A torch!)

Hank

Leave a comment:

• Mike W
    replied
    Weld looks good. I am more impressed with the cut on the edge of the steel. What kind of plasma cutter do you have?

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    replied
    Pat,

I think it's just the picture. Actually, I stopped right under the "2" and re-started, 'cause I ain't very good at re-starts, so: practice! I was working right-to-left.

S-10,

No bevel. Just a fillet. Did use a weave. When I checked the profile, I was a little low, so I need to slow down just a tad. Learned the technique from step-by-step instructions furnished over a year ago right here by pjs, HAWK, and a few others. Great board, and a great bunch of folks!

Hank

Leave a comment:

• Blown S-10
    replied
    looks good to me. did you bevel any ? did you weave any ? or a straight bead ?

Leave a comment:

• Pat
    replied
    Hank,

The area I am referring to is on the top edge of your bead and starts where the / is for your 3/8's, and ends near the right end of the C where you typed C-25. Now, upon closer examination it looks like they may just be shadows, and not the same thing I have been getting. I wish I was a little more educated as far as determining these wierd little weld characteristics. What I may do is get a different brand of wire. Since I converted from flux cored to gas, I have been using an Italian made wire (Thyssen ER70S-6). It really does seem to do a decent job, but I wonder if this flashing is something that is just a brand specific quirk. Like I said, I can take a pick and lift the edge and break it off exposing a bead that shows good penetration. Yep, the more I look at your photo the more I believe that your weld is good and my eyes are bad

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Hank:
    Awesome, glad things are looking up.
    Weld well,

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    replied
    yeah, I cut 'em up to see what the **** I really did! When I satarted welding (?), cutting through coupons amlmost made me quit. Thankfully, I've improved!

I can't identify the "flashing" you speak of. All I see is the slight slag left from the process. I'll go look harder at the coupon tomorrow. Already into the Vodka tonight - wouldn't do any good to look!

Hank

Leave a comment:

• Pat
    replied
    Hank,

Good job on that 3/8 stuff. Do you cut any of your coupons to see just what you have done. About 3 weeks ago I did a 3/8's coupon and thought it looked darned swell except there was like a very thin flashing (like the thickness of aluminum foil about 1/32nd wide). So I ran the sample through the bandsaw and all looked well. I then took a pick and lifted that flashing up a little. This flashing does not seen to effect the weld, but I am kind of curious why it forms. I see in your picture you have some spots that appear to have this flashing or whatever it is called. Have you noticed this before, and if so do you have any idea what causes it?

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    started a topic If at first you don't succeed...

If at first you don't succeed...

Here's try #2. 3/8 fillet using C-25 at 5/55 on the MM210.

Shoot...

Hank
Working...
X