No announcement yet.

If at first you don't succeed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it like a pop then splatter in the weld puddle. We had something like that happen at work. could peel little bits of filmly junk of the weld area. There was cosmoline(rust preventive) on the metal. we cleaned it better it stopped.
    Joe
    [email protected]

Comment

I belive Pat is speaking to the toes sticking up at the end of each weave. It's like the weave bead is not hot enough to wash or tie in. I had that happen to me also and I don't like it, I grinded it out and went back to laying in straight stringers.

Comment

Pat,

25CFH.

I'm still having problems with this "flashing" thing. From your last description using the solder splash example, you shouldn't see anything like that in a good weld. The edges should be fully fused to the base metal. There may be evidence of undercut on the high side; this ain't no good either! When I use a weave, I pause at the high and low edges (which SHOULD wash the bead nicely into the base metal) and move more quickly accross the center, as described to me my mt mentors on the board, and it works!

S-10 wants to see a cross section, and so do I. I'll cut 'er up later today and post the pic.

Hank
        ...from the Gadget Garage
        Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
        Handler 210 w/DP3035
        TA185TSW
        Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

I think Hank is right on the money here.

Based on your observation of it happening when welding thicker section it sounds like the weld maybe too cool (most likely happening because your material is acting like a heat sink and whisking away the heat before fusion can take place). This is also one of the typical problems with MIG, hence the reason why here in Oz, MIG does not have a prequalified procedure for welding pressure vessels the way the other processes do. With MIG it is possible to get a decent looking weld but not have achieved full fusion, hence the possibility of ending up with an unreliable weld is quite real.

When it comes to weaving, I usually only weave on vertical ups. Most of the tags with a weaving capping run at the college where I am doing my cert, don't pass. This is mainly to do with uniformity, undercut etc. etc. I learnt this the hard way! By the way, I'm not trying to say that weaving can't be done, but for me it just makes it harder!
          Andy249
          "Its the way it spatters that matters!"

Comment

S-10,

Here's the x-sections. Sorry about the lousy flash reflection, but I thnk you can see enough.

Mike,

These were cut on that JET 4 x 6 plasma cutter, too!

Hank
            ...from the Gadget Garage
            Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
            Handler 210 w/DP3035
            TA185TSW
            Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Hank:
              Very good!
              I have good feeling about you and your new mm210 friend, a friendship for a long time. Ya think!!!!

Keep up the good work,

Comment

yeah, those look real solid to me. full penetration/fusion. thanx

Comment

Hank,

Good looking sections, if you have access to some 1200 grit wet and dry and some nitric acid, you should polish and etch them so you can see how deep the weld penetrated. Just a thought!
                  Andy249
                  "Its the way it spatters that matters!"

Comment

Hank sure is good at cutting things apart.

Comment

Working...
                    X