wire feed speed does not match display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike W
    While I see knowing the wire speed as a nice to know thing, I would rather know how many amps it is putting out. I once calculated the wire speed on my Hobart just to see what I was running at.

Mike, Id much rather know the amperage that the unit is outputting too. If I didn t already have an amp meter, I probably would have went with the PM 255 instead of the MM 251 since the wire speed meter on the PM 255 is suppose to be an amp meter too. However, once i get the loan paid off that i took to purchase the MM 251, I might just spoil myself and take another loan and get myself a MM 350.

Comment

I wouldnt worry to much about what the reading is my machine has no meter just dial the speed up and down. Once you have been welding a while you wont even think about the meter you will more than likely know by the sound the machine makes and just looking at the weld if you need more or less wire and more or less amps. but it guess its good while you are learning.
      Lincoln SP170T
      ESAB 875 Plasma
      Smith oxy set
      Dynasty 200DX
      pulsed mig is next...

Long Island Cummins Ram Owners Club

Comment

I know a smart *** salesmen that would tell you try calculating it in MMs and then divide by 0.

I use the IPM to get me in range and then listen and watch how the machine is welding. I was always told on any welding machine the settings are not to be taken as gospel, their only for a reference point.

Comment

A different view:

It would be nice if the actual wire feed speed coincided with the wire speed display. However, due to tolerances of individual electronic components and the aggregate tolerance of these components as an assembled unit this is not and easy feat to achieve. As mentioned earlier in this post a new board may be right on or off just as much as the original.

In all my years of welding I have never measured the actual wire feed speed of any GMAW machine. I have always found the sweet spot for a particular machine in relation to material type, joint design, weld position, preheat if any, and thickness. Once the voltage/wire feed were noted that is how I set the machine for a particular set of welding parmaters.

Comment

The mm251 has a "Jog Mode". If you feed wire without an arc for 3 seconds the weld power will auto shut off..........etc.......(which may be faster or slower than run in speed.... etc...etc.(page 24 of online manual) Will this affect a test on wire speed settings....? I noticed on mine if I just watch the drive motor running (drive roll pressure released) it seems to slow down after a couple seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripshot
              The mm251 has a "Jog Mode". If you feed wire without an arc for 3 seconds the weld power will auto shut off..........etc.......(which may be faster or slower than run in speed.... etc...etc.(page 24 of online manual) Will this affect a test on wire speed settings....?

No

I noticed on mine if I just watch the drive motor running (drive roll pressure released) it seems to slow down after a couple seconds.

If you have the run-in set higher then 100%, the drive motor will run a little faster at first then return to the speed that the wirespeed pot is set to. Also, if you have the run-in set lower then 100%, the feed motor will run slower at first then speed up to the speed that the pot is set to.

Comment

lets not forget the diameter of the drive wheel. when feding .052 the relation between actual and displayed is different than when feeding .023. Much like the tires on your truck, thesmaller the drive roll (052) the less travel distance per revolution,and the larger the tire(.023) the farther pper revolution. The few ten thousanths may seem inconsequel but they will have an affect if your trying to mesure. Hawk has a good point and Im sure many experienced welders will agree.Ive been mig welding for a long time and never payed attention to wire speed, and if I had it was only to reference for repeatability.
                Trailblazer 302g
                coolmate4
                hf-251d-1
                super s-32p
                you can never know enough

Comment

Thanks Dan. I was wondering about that. I just noticed the drive motor changes speed even though my run in is set at 100%. It is very noticeable on the very low wire feed settings....(below 130 with no arc)

Comment

dyn88,

You are definitely on track. These settings are great for repeatability. With my 12RC/ALT 304/ Optima pulser I know where the dials are positioned for the job I need to weld. I do not know how they coincide to the actual weld values.

I never have seen the package. Did it go out or the freight carrier mispalce it? Either way when it arrives I am ready to tackle it. Most of my work is caught up and steady so now is a good time.

Comment

Hawk the shipping dpt at the shop is alittle fd up and they told me it would leave but I guess it never did. monday ill go search for it and bring it to staples and have them ship it. Sorry for the long delay, I think my shop is experiencing some financial dificulties.
                      Trailblazer 302g
                      coolmate4
                      hf-251d-1
                      super s-32p
                      you can never know enough

Comment

OK, quick question, Is this unit in a business, or garage. It may be likely that if it's in a business, that the input voltage for this unit may not be set correctly, ie, most of these machines have multiple voltage taps, most garages are 230 Vac, most businesses are 200, 208, or 230. If the voltage taps are not set correctly there is a drag on the motor cct. the front panel does not reflect this unless the motor happens to have a tach generator integral with the drive.

Comment

Dyn88,

Thanks. I know what you mean. Fortunately my business is staying in the black. However, I have had to drop my very best client due to financial difficulties. The last job I did work for them,(large Nationwide plant), they took 160+ days to pay. Crazy...

Of course this is no charge. I am really curious as to the best GTAW method since VP PAW is not an option at this time. Hopefully we will both lean something.

HAWK

Comment

Working...
                          X