wire feed speed does not match display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wire feed speed does not match display

The wire feed speed meter on my new Millermatic 251 does not display IPM correctly. If I want to get 180 IPM I have to set my wire feed speed to something between 225 and 230. Is this normal or should I have it looked at?

I have checked the tension and that appears to be ok,
    Wire type and size is ER-70S-6 .035 (if that even matters)

Thanks for your help

Dean Winger
    [email protected]

I am curious on how you measured your wirespeed. Did you just run out wire for a few minutes and see how much came out and calculate it from there?

Comment

wire feed speed

I ran off wire for 6 seconds. For 180 IPM I need to get 18 inches of wire.

I kept uping the wire feed speed till I ended up with about 180 at which time my Millermatci 251 was displaying something between 225 and 230 IPM.

-dean

Comment

Six seconds seems like a short time period to get an accurate reading. How about 30 seconds? You can always winds the wire back up.

Comment

Soooo, calibrate the displays....

Comment

Dean,

Here some info on this subject that I recieved from one of the Miller Techs.

The wire speed meter on this unit is calibrated to the reference
            voltage from the control board and wire speed pot. It does not take an
            actual reading from the motor so it could be off a small amount due to
            drive motor variation.
            BTW, if you don t have your run-in set at 100%, your IPM measurement will be flawed. With the run-in set at 100% on my unit, the wire speed meter reading is off by about 20. Meaning if I have the meter set to 200 i get about 180 IPM.

Comment

wire feed speed does not match display

Thanks Dan and others

I checked my run-in and it is set-to 100%, I think that is the default factory setting. So now the question. If your new MM251 feed meter was off by 45 IPM would you send it back because it’s under warrantee? Or is this just not a big deal? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am new to this and I would hate to find out latter that I should of had it looked at while it was under warrantee.

Thanks again for your input.

-dean

Comment

I think that even if you have your run-in set at 100% it still isn't going to start out really at 100%, and 6 seconds isn't enought time to come up with a good value.

I would try something like this. Start running out wire for a couple of seconds then hold a black felt tip sharpie to the wire for 15seconds. Measure how much black wire you got and multiply by 4. See if its any closer to where it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by fatfrank
                  I think that even if you have your run-in set at 100% it still isn't going to start out really at 100%, and 6 seconds isn't enought time to come up with a good value.

I would try something like this. Start running out wire for a couple of seconds then hold a black felt tip sharpie to the wire for 15seconds. Measure how much black wire you got and multiply by 4. See if its any closer to where it should be.

Frank,

With the run-in set to 100% on my unit, I ve ran the wire for 6 sec. took the measurement. Then , i ran the wire for 12 sec., and my measurement on the wire length was basically double the 6 sec measurement-did this multiple times. So, the 100% run-in value on my unit is pretty close.

Comment

Originally posted by dwinger
                    Thanks Dan and others

I checked my run-in and it is set-to 100%, I think that is the default factory setting. So now the question. If your new MM251 feed meter was off by 45 IPM would you send it back because it’s under warrantee? Or is this just not a big deal? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am new to this and I would hate to find out latter that I should of had it looked at while it was under warrantee.

Thanks again for your input.

-dean
                    Dean,

I think I ll try E mailing the Miller techs to see if there is a pot on the control board that can be adjusted to to bring the meter read out into a closer tolerance. You can do this too if you want, or i can just get back to you with any info that Miller chooses to provide me.

Comment

wire feed speed

I have been told by two different people that the pot is not adjustable. Miller would have to swap out some mother board. The replacement could also be off or if I’m lucky might be dead nuts on. I’m told that it’s only a best guess as to how accurate the IPM reading is on the 251.

Being new to welding and this being my first welder I am at a loss as to what I should do about this. If other people say “ya I too have a mm251 and this is common" then ok, no problem. But, if I am the minority and if 50 IPM is not normal then I will want it looked at. I guess I am just trying to find out where I fit in.

I do not have any contacts at Miller so would welcome any and all information/suggestions.

Thanks again.

Dean Winger
                      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by dwinger
                        I have been told by two different people that the pot is not adjustable. Miller would have to swap out some mother board. The replacement could also be off or if I’m lucky might be dead nuts on. I’m told that it’s only a best guess as to how accurate the IPM reading is on the 251.

Being new to welding and this being my first welder I am at a loss as to what I should do about this. If other people say “ya I too have a mm251 and this is common" then ok, no problem. But, if I am the minority and if 50 IPM is not normal then I will want it looked at. I guess I am just trying to find out where I fit in.

I do not have any contacts at Miller so would welcome any and all information/suggestions.

Thanks again.

Dean Winger
                        [email protected]

Dean,

just received a reply back from Miller. The info you were prevuoisly provided is correct, there is no pot on the control board for caliberating the meter. The Miller tech stated that tolerance on the meter is + or - 10%.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
                          Frank,

With the run-in set to 100% on my unit, I ve ran the wire for 6 sec. took the measurement. Then , i ran the wire for 12 sec., and my measurement on the wire length was basically double the 6 sec measurement-did this multiple times. So, the 100% run-in value on my unit is pretty close.

Did you happen to calculate how far off your unit was? Looks like dwingers was off by about 20%.

Comment

While I see knowing the wire speed as a nice to know thing, I would rather know how many amps it is putting out. I once calculated the wire speed on my Hobart just to see what I was running at.

Comment

Originally posted by fatfrank
                              Did you happen to calculate how far off your unit was? Looks like dwingers was off by about 20%.
                              My units off by about 10%. it sure seems like there should have been a pot incorporated into the circuit to fine to tune it, or closer tolerance resistors at least.

Comment

Working...
                              X