dynastydx questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dynastydx questions

iwas just wondering what tungstens you use with a dynasty 200 dx. i currently use a 2 percent thoriated on steel, and a pure green tungsten that is balled on the end. i use these same setups on my syncrowave 250 and it works great, but it doesnt work so great on the dynasty. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Its late here and some other people will come in and let you know the rest but do not use pure tungsten with dynasty and DONT ball it. Then i got my Dynasty 300 i tried it and wow did it not like it one bit.

There is some other Tungsten out there that are best used on the Dyasty with a sharp tip with at small flat at the end.

Maybe Hawk can come and tell you more.

Have about 8 Hours of aluminum work tomarrow with prep and welding and i need to go get more gas before 12. So I am going to be. Good luck

Gary
    Dry Creek Welding
    Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
    Trailblazer 302
    Spectrum 2050
    suitcase 12RC

Comment

read your owners manual. It will tell you not to use pure tungsten.
      Trailblazer 302g
      coolmate4
      hf-251d-1
      super s-32p
      you can never know enough

Comment

welcome to the forum. i use thoriated, cause thats what i allready had. but i will be using 1.5-2 % lanthaniated, when i finally get to buying some.

i also recommend getting some gas lense parts. these will save you $$ on gas. read a post i have on these, its still at the top here.

Comment

austy888,

Welcome to the forum and good questions to ask. The Dynasty does not have the same arc qualities as the Syncrowave and requires different tungsten types and preparation to weld properly.

A 1.5% or 2% lanthanated tungsten alloy works best with the Dynasty inverters. Prepare the tungsten by grinding to a point and then putting a small flat (.020"-.030") on the end of the tip. This works great for AC welding. I do the same for DC except may not flat the tip depending on how fine an arc I need. A ceriated tungsten is a good second choice. Thoriated is a poor choice for this machine as far as performance and health hazards when grinding.

A 20 degree taper with a .020" flat on a 3/32" tungsten works well from 30-130 amps and a 35 degree taper with a .030" flat handles the higher amperages up to 200 on the D200DX and 300 with the D300DX. I have even used the 3/32" with this thicker taper and flat up to 300 amps with a high helium/argon mix of 75 he/25 ar with excellent results.

NEVER USE PURE TUNGSTEN. NEVER BALL THE TIP FOR USE WITH THE DYNASTY. The pure tungsten and/or balled tip will only cause the powersource to overwork itself and fall to ruin rather quickly!

Hope this helps!!!

Comment

balled real bad

i have been on and reading this forem scence jan.2004 and have only seen 3 down dyn.200's all of them were due to using balled pure tungsten. it will kill your dynasty, stay far far away from pure tung. with the dyn.

happy welding to ya.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK
              austy888,

A 1.5% or 2% lanthanated tungsten alloy works best with the Dynasty inverters. Prepare the tungsten by grinding to a point and then putting a small flat (.020"-.030") on the end of the tip. This works great for AC welding. I do the same for DC except may not flat the tip depending on how fine an arc I need. A ceriated tungsten is a good second choice. Thoriated is a poor choice for this machine as far as performance and health hazards when grinding.

A 20 degree taper with a .020" flat on a 3/32" tungsten works well from 30-130 amps and a 35 degree taper with a .030" flat handles the higher amperages up to 200 on the D200DX and 300 with the D300DX. I have even used the 3/32" with this thicker taper and flat up to 300 amps with a high helium/argon mix of 75 he/25 ar with excellent results.

Hope this helps!!!
              i tried that last night. it didn't work well at all. the arc was ALL over the place. and the tiny tip was balling up easily. thoriated, 1.5 lanthanated sylvania, and the hyperperformance all gave the same results. a 2 1/2x taper and .050ish flat fixed it.

Comment

Blown S-10,

Sorry to hear it did not work out for you. What you are describing is often exhibited by too course of a grind. A very course grind will have an extremely easy arc start accompanied by an erratic, unstable, wandering arc. Too fine of a grind can lead to difficult arc starts in many manual welding power soruces.

Perhaps a finer more consistent grind will help. I am in no way knocking your grinding technique or ability. All is takes is too course of a wheel or a grinder that is not turning enough RPM's to make a good tungsten grind that performs well into a bad grind with poor performance.

I must admit that even after many grindings with a bench grinder the Diamond Ground Piranha II is definite asset. The adjustable taper angles and grinding flats really make a difference.

Comment

ya know, i was thinking my wheel is a bit rough. its a "fine" wheel, it doesn't have a grit on it, just "fine". and its pretty smooth for a grinder wheel. i could see grinding marks on my tungston. i figure thats not the best to have, i haven't found how to fix that yet. i don't push the grind much, mostly just let it drag. so to get a finer finish.

yeah, it would be REAL nice to have a dedicated, purpose built grinder. but what does that thing cost, like $8-900+ ? for a business, thats not a lot of money, as it saves time and probably helps produce a better product. but for a guy like me, as things are for me now, its pretty much out of the question. so i just have to figure out how to optimize what i have, or can reasonably get. i think i'm going to try chem-sharp. and possibly take a class this winter. somehow, someway, i'll figure this out. but until then its getting frustrating

as always, thanx for your words. just wish i was better able to implement them

Comment

also if your not already doing this grind parrallel to the wheel. I usualy face the tip of the tungsten up and hold the bottom of the tungsten and use a twisting motion. Be careful though if the angle is not steep enough it will grab the tungsten and POW youve been stabbed OUCH.
                    Trailblazer 302g
                    coolmate4
                    hf-251d-1
                    super s-32p
                    you can never know enough

Comment

hand held grinders

i been looking at the smaller hand held tung. grinders. about $200.00
                      true HAWK's $1600.00 Piranha II would be nice but is also well outside my budjet.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

Comment

found the link

here is the 1 i been lookin at getting.

http://www.arc-zone.com/catalog/web_...d=1278247_3649

ASK ANDY said he uses this 1 when on the road at shows

i'm guna try real hard to come up with the $$ for 1 after i get my dyn200DX
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

Blown,
                          I understand your dilemma. I recently purchased the DG PIII and it is truly an asset for my shop. That said, for years I used a very fine wheel and chucked the tungsten up in a cordless drill, ground it longitudinally, and had great results. My circumstances have required me to grind tungsten from a more production oriented perspective which is why I bought the PIII.

James said HAWK's unit ( PII ) was $1600.00 but it is really about $700.00. My unit ( PIII ) was $1250.00. **** yeah both are spendy and I understand that may not be an option for your shop. That said, A Dynasty 200DX is a pretty spendy option for your shop as well. The PII would be a great unit for you. $700 bucks is a chunk but so is $2200 (for the machine). The tungsten grinder WILL pay for itself over time so I would encourage you to consider it. Stick back a few bucks here and there and before you know it,... well, you know.

Good luck bro.
                          Dynasty 350DX
                          Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                          MM 350P
                          MM Passport Plus
                          Spectrum 375 Extreme
                          08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Kevein,

Nice post. Points well made. I gave $600 for my Piranha II. That was a really good deal. As you said the Piranha units are a very nice addition to the shop. They give you the flexibility and precision to grind tungsten to meet specific weld paramters. I use one tungsten alloy in 2 sizes for 99.5% of all my work. That .5% is where .010" thoriated and chem sharp are my best friends. Something else to consider is tungsten erosion is minimal when properly sharpened by a good grinder such as the Piranha II or III. It would not take long for either of these machines to pay for themselves on the tungsten erosion factor.

Comment

Working...
                            X