plasma cutter won't make clean cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dorn
    Not the best picture. But I think you can see what I am talking about.
    Sure looks like you are moving real slow to get that much dross. Put a new nozzle on it, and try to move as fast as you can. Watch the angle of the arc out the bottom. Too much angle is to fast. Keep your torch straight or Perpendicular
    to the plate.

Comment

Brand new nozzle and electrode. I zipped right thru it. Makes no difference if its fast or slow it always looks the same. Really annoying. I tried some 1/8" flat cranked up the amps moved as fast as I could and the back side looked the same, tried it slower and the same. That pic was 16ga scrap that was laying around. Sent a email to hypertherm to see if they have any ideas. Anybody have any sugestions I am all ears. Thanks to all.
      MM 210 w/Spoolgun
      Cutmaster 38

Comment

I will try and shoot a couple of photos of mine in use. I always thougt the 375 was a little over rated on the max capacity it was capable of. I did some 3/8 plate and it completed the cut but was pretty slow and seemed almost to its max capacity wish I had gone bigger like the 625...
        Now I wonder if I need to drop it in for service? I will post the shots in the morning, Later.
        Laurence

Comment

Originally posted by lramberson
          I will try and shoot a couple of photos of mine in use. I always thougt the 375 was a little over rated on the max capacity it was capable of. I did some 3/8 plate and it completed the cut but was pretty slow and seemed almost to its max capacity wish I had gone bigger like the 625...
          Now I wonder if I need to drop it in for service? I will post the shots in the morning, Later.
          Laurence

Which torch do you have on the 375? The one at the show with the new torch would cut 3/4 inch but very slow. I told the Miller rep that the Cutmaster 38 would do it, and he put in new parts in the torch and the little Miller did it too.

Comment

dorn
            your cuts look like mine did when i started i was too slow and too close to the steel. if neather of thouse aplie you might look at your air flow as a posible problem??

lramberson
            i have herd thet a larger input power cord is a big help with that plasma cutter. you might concider trying a new cord.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Model ICE-25C torch, factory unit. Did he use a stand off tool or drag cut the 3/4?
              I will see if I have anything that thick & give it a shot. If it is a no go to the service center I go. Thanks for the heads up.
              Laurence

Comment

Originally posted by lramberson
                Model 25 torch, factory unit. Did he use a stand off tool or drag cut the 3/4?
                I will see if I have anything that thick & give it a shot. If it is a no go to the service center I go. Thanks for the heads up.
                Laurence
                He used a little bit of standoff. Is the 25 the new torch? I am not real up on Miller plasma torches. The rep said the new one makes all the difference in the world. He did cut it on 120 volts though. It was a 30 amp circuit.

Here is what Aaron said about his 375, from another website.

Saturday night I was playing in the shop, and decided to see what the little plasma would cut.

Well, it seems Scott is right again. I was able to cut 3/4" thick 1018 CRS using the Spectrum 375. There was considerable dross, but it all flaked off easily. It is slow going, but it does it.

Comment

The 27 is the new torch, I will throw out a new thread to Andy on the difference in the torches to see what up. Maybe I need to upgrade the torch head to get the results you are seeing

Comment

this might help

i scaned in a page from the parts book with bolth torches .
                    Attached Files
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                    JAMES

Comment

Well still can not get a clean cut. Have tried everything. Hypertherm never replied to my email. Any more ideas from anyone? Should have gone Blue
                      MM 210 w/Spoolgun
                      Cutmaster 38

Comment

Go here and ask Jim Colt. He works for them.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/plasmacutting/

Also Al from Thermal-Dynamics hangs out too. Both guys Know more about plasma's, then about anybody.

PS- should of gone blue? You know Miller make the smaller Plasmacutters for Hyperthem don't you? Up to the 600 I believe?

Comment

PS- should of gone blue? You know Miller make the smaller Plasmacutters for Hyperthem don't you?
                          Just seeing who was paying attention. Thanks for your help Scott. I will give them a try.
                          MM 210 w/Spoolgun
                          Cutmaster 38

Comment

maybe true but !!

miller has a lot of parts in the hobart also but it dosent make it a miller
                            it is realy only a miller if it has there name on it. they go the extra mile for the 1's with there name on it. lots of extra upgrades in the miller if you look close
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now
                              miller has a lot of parts in the hobart also but it dosent make it a miller
                              it is realy only a miller if it has there name on it. they go the extra mile for the 1's with there name on it. lots of extra upgrades in the miller if you look close
                              Care to list the # of different parts in a Miller Plasma and a Hobart Plasma.

I think if you do some checking that Hyperthem really is about the top company in plasma cutting. I owned lots of esab's and Thermal-dynamics too. So when you say it is not a Miller I think in the case of Hypertherm bigger unit's,That is a plus!!!!

Comment

Scott V

Care to list the # of different parts in a Miller Plasma and a Hobart Plasma.

i dont know right off the top of my head as it was never somthing i looked into getting

my point was that just because miller may make it dosent mean it is up to millers specs. miller will make it to there specs. not to millers.
                                thanks for the help
                                ......or..........
                                hope i helped
                                sigpic
                                JAMES

Comment

Working...
                                X