No announcement yet.

TIG Course - progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HA! I appreciate the suggestion for the expensive hobby, but the problem is that I am sort of a geek mountain biker and I have invested that sort of money into my bikes already! Funny that you should mention what I already have done.

Over the years it has paid off as I have ridden many miles and as a $ per mile it is a inexpensive outdoor exercise as compared with things like skiing etc.

The machine I have is an Econo Twin HF. It only has a 2 prong attachment for a 'pedal'. All the pedal does is initiate the HF. Keep the pedal down and you have HF, let the pedal up and there is no HF. To stop welding you have to lift the torch so that the arc extinguishes.

I will probably keep a little bit extra somewhere and continue to look in the used market for a steal of a deal on a older TIG unit. Unless I come into some sort of wild money. Funny, you ask many people what they would get if they won the lottery, houses, cars fancy vacations etc. I would like a nice TIG welder. (Maybe a truck that is newer than 15 years old too!!

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

I just recently completed a MIG course at our local trade school. It was a total of 48 evening hours of which about 6 were theory, the rest was shop time. We had 2 instructors for 18 students, which was a reasonable balance. Both instructors were professional welders who also taught the apprentice welding courses. The course was beginners MIG so there were students like me who owned a MIG at home and some that had never laid a bead in their lives.

I found that early on the instructors had to spend more time with the newbies, which makes sense. I just grabbed my weld, tracked them down and asked for feedback. If that didn't work I asked them to come by my booth and show me or watch what I was doing. Overall it was an excellent experience. They didn't want to spoon feed us, so they found a good balance (for me anyway) of letting us figure most of it out by just welding and welding. I'm sure I laid down more weld in the first 2 weeks than in the history of my MM250 in my garage. For me this was the point, lots of welding in a short period of time with someone looking over my shoulder giving pointers.

Towards the end, all the welds were on standard test samples which are used for welder qualification in the appretice program. I think our practical exam was 2F, 3F on 3/8 & 10Ga and a 3G in 3/8 which was bent like a horseshoe in a hydraulic press to see how you did. Mine didn't break !

The school offers the same type of course for stick, TIG, oxy/acet, I think TIG is next for me.

Steved, by the way, as a fellow Canadian I'll tell you my 200DX is coming from Cyberweld.com. With the way the dollar is right now you should be able to land it for around $3000 CAD + tax.

Comment

Hey! Edmonton!

FYI, about 4 months back I was looking at the prices of 200DX, AirGas was willing to part with one for 3kCDN at that time.

The prices have gone down a bit so I think it could be purchased a bit cheaper with the advantages of the dealer close by.

There may be an AirGas up in your neck of the woods, might be worth your while to check out the prices.

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steved
          Funny, you ask many people what they would get if they won the lottery, houses, cars fancy vacations etc. I would like a nice TIG welder.
          Me too. I would get a Dynasty 300DX TIGRunner first thing, no questions asked. Sigh...

Comment

Working...
          X