Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bobus Catus Rebuildus ( Bobcat Rebuild)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DDA52
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike W
    Nice job DDA52!
    Thanks.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mike W
    replied
    Nice job DDA52!

    Leave a comment:


  • DDA52
    replied
    Originally posted by ASKANDY
    DON,

    Excellent job. You da Miller Man. It's like total night and day! I'm sending al my junk your way

    A-
    Thanks Andy. Funny that you should say that... I had a lot of fun doing this. I have been toying with the idea of finding another one. The wifley unit ain't too thrilled about that one. Time will tell.

    Leave a comment:


  • DDA52
    replied
    Originally posted by Kelly Aitken
    Your Machine Looks Great. I Guess I Missed An Earlier Thread. How Did You Come Upon This Machine?
    Thanks. I didn't happen onto it, I bought it NEW in '88. It was my main machine until '98 when it locked up. Thought it was the engine, turned out to just be the starter. Sadly, a $150 fix got misdiagnosed as a major rebuild. I shelved the machine until this Feb. I just figured I would rebuild or scrap it. It sat outside uncovered for all this time. Didn't figure it would hurt since the engine was supposedly locked up. Boy was I wrong. Had a few choice words for myself when I saw the starter locked! The weather killed the engine completely...almost. It could gave been rebuilt. It would have run about 4-600 more than a new engine would have cost, which was still too much.. I haven't figured it up yet, but I think I put about $1400 in it. I ran into some unexpected costs. ( UPS destroyed the new starter by dropping the new engine and the rebuild cost about $200 more than they quoted. So, I am about $450 over budget. )

    Leave a comment:


  • DDA52
    replied
    Originally posted by aphexafx
    DDA52,

    My God, it looks brand new! When I first saw the thing in your original pictures I though, "Heh. Good luck..." I've wholly eaten my thoughts. That's brilliant. Good job!

    P.S.> How did you restore the unit's face? In the original it looks completely weathered and washed out. Cheers!
    Thanks. It came out way better than I had hoped for. The new engine made some of the diff. The old one wouldn't have cleaned up near as well. The face plate was replaced as a unit. All I had to do is give Miller my serial # and they had one in stock. Probably one of the last ones, too. If they hadn't had one, I planned on painting the face and having decals made. Replacing the face plate was WAY easier and better! The newer ones have a UV resistant paint that came out after mine was made. Figures.....

    Leave a comment:


  • ASKANDY
    replied
    DON,

    Excellent job. You da Miller Man. It's like total night and day! I'm sending al my junk your way

    A-

    Leave a comment:


  • Kelly Aitken
    replied
    Your Machine Looks Great. I Guess I Missed An Earlier Thread. How Did You Come Upon This Machine?

    Leave a comment:


  • aphexafx
    replied
    DDA52,

    My God, it looks brand new! When I first saw the thing in your original pictures I though, "Heh. Good luck..." I've wholly eaten my thoughts. That's brilliant. Good job!

    P.S.> How did you restore the unit's face? In the original it looks completely weathered and washed out. Cheers!

    Leave a comment:


  • DDA52
    replied
    Originally posted by pjseaman
    DDA52:
    , work it till it buys you another one.

    Peace,
    Don't let my wifely unit hear that one! I may not survive!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • Paul Seaman
    replied
    DDA52:
    A buddy of mine has a nearly new Bobcat225, and we kid each other that we collectively have all catagories covered. Now all we need is right mind, lol!!!
    Looks great, work it till it buys you another one.

    Peace,

    Leave a comment:


  • DDA52
    replied
    Thanks for the kind words guys.

    PJ
    I'll probably leave it as is. It didn't hurt it before. I did however have a tremendous backfire yesterday. I'm not sure how much guttage the muffler has left. If it is toast, I will probably weld a 90 deg fitting on it and get a quiter muffler to screw in temporarily. Who knows. If it works well, it may be permanent. I just couldn't bring myself to get more parts. The guys at the parts store know me be sight and first and last name! I've been there WAY too often!

    Hank
    I don't plan on babying it.....too much. Once I'm done looking at it, it's off to work!

    Leave a comment:


  • hankj
    replied
    Don,

    Wonderful restoration.

    My thought: "Fondleus notus Bobus Cattus, lest sufferous Erectus Maximus!

    Nice job.. Enjoy.

    Hank

    Leave a comment:


  • Paul Seaman
    replied
    DDA52:
    Are you going to put a turn out on the exhaust to keep the hot fumes off the fancy new paint job? BTW it really looks good!!!

    Weld well, weld often

    Leave a comment:


  • DDA52
    replied
    Bobus Completus!

    Done! I replaced the switch on Mon and installed sheet metal and decals today. Welds just fine, too. I still am going to haul it to the welder hospital for a load test and once over. Should be ok, sure acts like it anyway. Here are the final product pics. Big difference!
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • DDA52
    replied
    Update
    All wiring is done. All parts installed. I still couldn't get it to work, though. After much head scratching and phone calls, I found the culprit. The run/start switch is shorted out. Bypassed it and it fired up. FINALLY!!! Did some elec checks and all is ok. I'll check the weld side once the switch is replaced. Just a few more things to do and it will be ready to go. Good thing to. The wifey wants me to do some cabinets for her. I'll need the shop space!

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X