1% lanthanated ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1% lanthanated ?

well, i have to order some stuff. i'm am looking at welding depot right now. their prices are good, and since they are close to me, shipping is reduced. but they only have 1% listed. how will this compare to the 1.5% that was recommended ? they have ceriated also, should i consider this ? i would say these are going to be used for aluminum only. as i will use up the box of thoriated i have for steel.

or do you know of a place that has fair prices and more stuff in stock ?

Jess

i have just tried the ceriated and its pretty good all purpose tungston

but i have to do more researsh on it

dawg

Comment

The 1.5% and 2% lanthanated is the best tugnsten I have ever found for the Dynasty inverters. I am not familiar with 1% lanthanated. However, it will probably be okay. All tungsten has a % tolerance for the alloys. Therefore the 1% could be as little as .75% or as much as 1.25% lanthanated. Give or take a bit. I usually buy Sylvania 2% lanthanted from a local shop. If I mail order the Diamond Ground Products ground to spec is my preference.

Comment

S-10,
        Here's a link...HTH

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...15532&tc=photo
        Wheat Stalker

Millermatic 210
        Dynasty 200DX
        Fisher CZ-5...CZ-3D..
        Trek 5500
        1966 Amphicar

Comment

thanx. yes, i have seen that seller. i feel that his methods are shady. $8.50 shipping for a $2 package . or items in an auction that are "seemingly" related, but are not = deceitfull. i would feel it very difficult to buy from him.

welding depot has the other stuff i want. so i'm going to call them and ask if they have them, just not listed. i have been real happy with them so far.

i tried googling for welding supply. its amazing how much crap came up
          one place wanted $50 for a box, LOL. another wanted $30, sheeeeeeeesh.

Comment

Blown S-10,

Watch the manufacturer brand on tungsten. Sylvania is good as are some german brands. Most run $3-$5 per 7" stick. I have never bought cheap tungsten that performed well. Food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Blown S-10
              thanx. yes, i have seen that seller. i feel that his methods are shady. $8.50 shipping for a $2 package . or items in an auction that are "seemingly" related, but are not = deceitfull. i would feel it very difficult to buy from him..

I have seen post's of where several people have bought from him with great results I was going to but,found a small local supplier was giving me good deals on what I needed.I still would not hesitate to buy from him.I've e mailed him a few times to see about mix & matching items and that was ok
              Just my 2$ worth

Comment

arc-zone

http://www.arc-zone.com/catalog/web_...=6892375_53099

$20.00 for a pack of 10 (3/32 1.5 lanth.)

i'm still looking for the dimond ground website i know its in here just cant remember where i put it LOL
                ill post ya a link when i find it.
                i plan on getting mine from dimond ground as i dont want to be able to blame the equipment if i'm makeing a pooo-pooo weld i want to know it's me so i know i need to do somthing different.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

thanx guys. i think i'm just going to get the stuff welding depot has, that i need. and deside what i'm going to do about the 1.5%. i have a stick of the hyperperformance that came with my torch from arc-zone. i will use that in the mean time, and see how it does.

Comment

http://www.diamondground.com/index-2.html

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK
                      The 1.5% and 2% lanthanated is the best tugnsten I have ever found for the Dynasty inverters. I am not familiar with 1% lanthanated. However, it will probably be okay. All tungsten has a % tolerance for the alloys. Therefore the 1% could be as little as .75% or as much as 1.25% lanthanated. Give or take a bit. I usually buy Sylvania 2% lanthanted from a local shop. If I mail order the Diamond Ground Products ground to spec is my preference.
                      I have a Maxstar 200DX. Are the lanthanated electrodes recommended for this machine?

Comment

I bought 2% lanthanated from that e-bay seller. I purchased a couple of different diameters plus a couple of other items. He combined the shipping of my items which made the shipping real cheap. My order came real fast and I feel I got a bargain. It was a pleasure dealing with that seller. I am using the tungsten in my dynasty 200DX.
                        bitternut

Comment

flash burn,

Sure! The lanthanated does a great job on DC. I use it for most all my AC and DC welding with the Dynasty. I have used it with the Maxstar 200DX with great results. Ceriated would be a second choice followed by thoriated. GOOD QUESTION!

Comment

While I'm aware of the advances in tungsten and how they apply to inverter based equipment, how has tungsten evolved for traditional (non inverter) tig welding. Should I be substituting lanthanated for thorated solely for the health concerns, or are there perfromance benifits? Should I still be balling pure or zirconated for AC?

Comment

wendell,

For AC GTAW with a typical squarewave machine (Syncrowave) zirconiated tungsten cannot be beat! It does not spit or drip thus is used where X-Ray quality welds are necessary.

For DC welding with the same type machine (such as a Syncrowave) the lanthanated will start easier and have a smoother more stabile arc due to its oxide contents. Therefore, it is wise to use lanthanated (rather than thoriated) for performance issues as well as health related issues.

On AC TIG the zirconiated will tend to ball itself during use. Yes you still need to ball the tungsten or non inverter based GTAW power sources.

Comment

Working...
                              X