Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I tell if the tube I am using is Chrome-moly and what is the best welder to use for the hobbiest/weekend welder. This is most likely a 1 time project. thank for your help.

1 time thing

i would just rent a welder for the week or send it out to be welded to invest in a welder for a 1 time thing seems a bit excesive.
    renting a dynasty would probly be your best bet as you may not have the power requirments for the other line up.
    good luck and happy welding.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

4130 is pretty rare in the commercial world unless it is advertised as such. The reason for this is because it is more expensive per pound, and is harder to cut and bend than mild steel. Also, in order to benefit from it's properties over regular steel, it must be welded more carefully. If you are working with just a random piece of steel, then it most likely is not 4130. However, if it's from a bicycle, race car or airplane, there is a good chance it will be. Without calling the manufacturer, laboratory tests, or a lot of hands-on experience, there is no way to tell. Maybe someone on the forum would know if you told us where the steel came from.

From my narrow experience, 4130 doesn't weld that much differently than mild steel. You can use 4130 and mild steel almost interchangeably unless your parts and your welding process is designed to take advantage of what 4130 has to offer. For furniture, sculptures and fooling around in the garage it doesn't matter a bit. For racing, lightweight bicycles, airplanes, and commercial production, you had better be familiar with your materials and weld them properly.

For a one time welding job, I would agree, your best bet is to have someone else do it.

If your hobby is welding, then I would recommend a TIG because of all the learning and tinkering involved.
      If your hobby requires welding, but welding is not the primary focus of your interest, then I would recommend a MIG welder for it's ease of use.

Comment

Working...
      X