what gas to use with 350P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what gas to use with 350P

I finally purchased my 350P yesterday. My Miller dealer recomended 75/25 gas for pulsing mild steel so that's what I got for the shop. I am new at learning the pulsed process so I just went with his suggestion. In reading the manual last night I see that Miller recomends 90% argon/10% co2 mix or a 95/5 mix for pulsing steel. They only list the 75/25 for straight mig. A call to the dealer didn't resolve it, he wasn't sure if the 75/25 was good for pulsing on steel or not since the machine is new and they aren't real familiar with it. Any suggestions before I start using the bottle and then can't exchange it? I already have bottles of 100 % argon for my Tig welder, but Miller doesn't show 100% argon for pulsing steel, only for aluminum. I assume that's for cost reasons? If so I could just use the argon for now until I get comfortable with the pulser.

Royco,
    The reason they suggest 90/10 or 95/5 is because 75/25 won't support spray transfer at moderate voltage levels. That said, you might be able to pulse spray .035 with 75/25 if you jack the machine up. If you get a lot of spatter, your in the globular transfer range. If you can get past that, you'll get into the pulse spray mode.

Be cool,
    Alex
    Be cool,
    Alex

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Comment

75/25 is really a good short arc gas. You may get a pulse but it will be poor. Stick with the book recommendations as they are inline with the settings on the door chart.

Have fun with it! It's a killer.

Andy

Comment

I finally got my hands on the 90/10 mix gas that is recommended for the Millermatic 350P for pulsing mild steel. It turned out that my local Air Gas supplier can't get the 90/10 mix in a customer cylinder (S size). They say it is plain unavailable unless special ordered for a big upcharge. I finally talked them into loaning me a larger rental cylinder (K size) since I just bought the new 350P and Spectrum 375 from them but haven't been able to try out the pulser without the right gas -- at least until they can figure something else out. Anyway I got to try out the Millermatic 350P in pulse mode on steel last night and it is a truly, truly amazing machine! I am going to be real happy with this purchase.

Comment

Working...
        X