Makeshift Tig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makeshift Tig

I was searching around the internet and found a link to a 4x4 site that had a schematic for a DC SCRATCH START TIG MACHINE. It used a 130 amp high output Ford alternator and an air compressor motor. It showed how to wire it up to the torch and a light dimmer switch to adjust. Is a DC machine that close to a car/ amperage from the alternator able to make a useable weld at 100% duty cycle. If it is I could go to the junk yard and build one cheap just add bottle, flowmeter, torch with gas control on handle.
    Joe
    [email protected]

refound the link

http://www.classicbroncos.com/homemade-welder.shtml
    thought this was really interesting
    Joe
    [email protected]

Comment

neet but not a dynasty

it will no dought work but with verry limmited controle. you could tig weld with a battery out of your car ,tig is just a controled short circuit with gass.if you want to tig you should buy a tig and then build 1 for fun to play with. i wouldnt want to have a job depending on it.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

Another "makeshift" TIG that I have seen uses the power source from a cheapie MMAW machine, with a TIG torch, cylinder and regulator. Be a little bit safer than playing around with that setup, and would allow you half decent amperage control. If the machine is a cheapie, the duty cycle will probably be fairly limited, compared to the 100% they claim (I think I would like to see it before I believe it!).

Only way you can learn is to experiment! I wouldn't expect miracles!
        Andy249
        "Its the way it spatters that matters!"

Comment

Working...
        X