Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly Aitken
    replied
    Thanks For The Reply, James. I Will Try To Down Load The Tig Information From Miller And See If It Enlightens Me Any

Kelly

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    Kelly Aitken

no i do not use a dyn200 at work. i have never even TIG welded yet.
    as to how i formed my opinion?
    lots of things were taken into acount, as my $$ is verry limited it was not easy to justify the $$ of the dyn200. i have a small home shop that is kind of 20'X20' in a piced togather way. my first concideration/obstical is my power service to the shop. although i do have 220V it is run off a 150' of 10/3 wire so trying to pull the 60Amps the syncro needs is not an option.
    i have also read up as much as posible on the welder. it is not new tec. in terms that most would think new it has been out on the market scence 1995 i believe it was. so miller has had a chance to work out the bug's as it were. miller dose fix things that were missed in initial testing and updates as needed. it is true that the syncrowaves can weld anything the dynasty's can but the dynasty inverter tec makes it all work cleaner, sharper, and more eficeantly.alowing you to do more with the same output amps. buy shaping and ajusting the the arc for maximum efectiveness. it is not much differant on steel but as you get into aluminum it realy shines. the dynasty will do with 180A what the syncro could only dream of due to its arc controle. i believe that the dynasty will meet all my need's and then some. i have been on this board scence jan.2004 and have seen only a few (like 3) dynasty's with problems all were due to the same operator earer. improper tung. use. there are thouse that have had and used hard for years the dyn200DX and have nothing but praise for it.
    if you dont know about inverters you should do a lil reading on them to get a better ideal as to what they can do for you. miller has a great TIG book you can download from there site. it will help you to understand the advantages.

i am not concernd with repair problems as i know miller will be there to help if ever i need it. as to the $$ of the repair there realy is nothing to say there. it is a good solid welder and if it need repairing i will pay what it takes to get it fixed. you can not own a lambergeene and expect to get it repaired for the same caust as your VW bug.

meny meny things went into my discition and i will not only stand behind it but will wait pationtly for it as i continue saving my $$$ till i can aford it. i could have gotten a syn.180 two months ago but it will if all goes well be mid DEC. befor i can get my Dyn.200 and im still not shoure how long after that it will be befor i can get a torch so i can use it. but i will wait and be happy when i finaly get to play.

Leave a comment:

• Kelly Aitken
    replied
    I Am Trying To Decide Between The 180 And 200 Myself. I Know The 200 Has Some Great Advantages-weight, Able To Run On 110 And Others. I Too Am Concerned About Long Term Reliablity And Repair Costs. Also, I Just Weld As A Hobby Out Of The Garage. Do I Really Need All The Benifits Of Inverter Welding? I Have Been Using A Big Old Linde Welder At Work For Years. It Seems To Do Everything I Need It To Do Just Fine. I Didn't Even Know What Inverters Were Until I Found This Site. I Still Don't Fully Understand The Difference Between Square Wave And Inverter. I Know That If I Had Never Started Reading This Site, I Would Have Been Very Happy With The 180. While The Money Part Is Not An Issue, I Don't Want To Over Load Myself With Something I Don't Need Or Understand. I Am Very Technology Challanged. I'm A Big Believer In Simplicity. I'm Not Going To Be Back In The States For Another 5 Months Or So But When I Get Back I Will Be Buying One Or The Other. I Watch This Site Almost Every Day And Try To Take In And Sort Out Every Thing That Is Posted On Both Of These Machines. Please Don't Take This As Bashing Because I'm Not But Fun For Now Is So Sold On The Dynisty And Does't Even Own One Yet. How Do You Know It's So Great. Do You Use One At Work? Just Curious As To How People Form Thier Opinions. Thanks To All For Your Information.

Kelly

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    Blown S-10

you did that on 110V look's like with 220V it would work real well for DOM .120 to .5 inch plate. thanks for the test run. i was thinking to myself that it would do fine as it is 1 of the things i intend to be doing when i get mine. now i know it will do it. and it looks like it will do it with ease. after all like you said you realy are welding the smaller of the 2 and i dont need to melt all the way through the .5 just enough to get a good hold of the .120

thanks again

although i was not the 1 to ask you have helped me as well.

p.s. i'm still trying to get a decent picture of thet plasma cut for ya. i made the cut last night wile i was making some ribbins for the gate. i just gota get a good enough picture to show it off LOL

Leave a comment:

• Blown S-10
    replied
    here you go Chopper. i tried it last night. .125" to .750". my crappy 120v supply kept tripping, 2 times, i then gave up, but i made my point. on quality 120v, no problems i'm sure. 240v = i'm sure. as soon as i hit the peddle the puddles formed, on both pieces at the same time, then a little filler made a bead to joint them. steel is pretty easy to tig.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• 1fasbu
    replied
    inverter welders

Gaslight- I purchased the 150 stl three months ago and am very pleased with it. I can weld 22ga easily, and tried it wide open in the tig mode when new. For a durability test, I burnt 15 5/32 rods wide open at 150 amps(non-stop). I clipped the lead at 22amps/240V (input). One thing to keep in mind, inverters have specific operating voltage range and can become very unstable with voltage drop. Take for instance, my voltage at home- 240V exactly. Our voltage at our shop- 220(my job). This does not seem like a huge difference but does equal a substantial performance difference. I have the same welder at work and at times it fights to light 7018/-1/8(Grumpy almost). At my house it works like gum-balls. Load was the main consideration for me- a 30amp service to a 15x12 shop. Transformer machines were out, and at $3500+ cnd for the dynasty, the wife factor kicked in. (Also I have access to AC tig equipment at work.)A couple other thoughts,- if you order from the states, get a firm delivery date. Customs have backed up to 6-7 weeks in BC. I have a box located in the US which I order from, then drive down and bring my stuff accross. Save yourself some money, skip the contractors kit and buy the torch, pedal,etc yourself from other suppliers. Cheers to all!

Leave a comment:

• Blown S-10
    replied
    Originally posted by Chopper
    Hawk,

I'm gonna have a hard time welding DOM .120 to .5 inch plate?
    while i don't "know", i would bet that the 200 could do it easy. your not welding 1/2", your welding 1/8" to 1/2", so your basicaly welding 1/8". i'll have to try this myself, just to see.

Leave a comment:

• joebass
    replied
    DOM is drawn over mandrel tubing. So I dont think he means aluminum. My question is why is the plate so thick? what are you building? I still think that the 200dx might be underpowered though if you are going to be doing alot of thick weldments.

Leave a comment:

• df5152
    replied
    to weld .5 inch aluminum you need almost 400 amps the 200 your machine puts out would be a stretch i think even in multiple passes

Leave a comment:

• Chopper
    replied
    Hawk,

So for the inexperienced tigger like myself, I'm gonna have a hard time welding DOM .120 to .5 inch plate? I recently bought the 200DX but dont have any time on it yet. When she goes to work she's gonna have to weld a few areas like that and now i'm wondering if the 300DX would have been better? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Tailshaft56
    replied
    I have been using the new 185 tig at local vo-tech. Seems to be a good machine. The arc is different than on the Miller tigs. The pulser only adjust the pulse rate. I think I'll be going with a 180sd.

The torch on the 185 had the threads strip out on the backcap so now we have to remove the cup and loosen the gas lens to change the tungsten. I saw a post on the Hobart board where someone else had the same problem.

Dennis

Leave a comment:

• Too_Many_Tools
    replied
    Feel free to ask any questions that you care to....that is how we learn.

In my case, I came across a Hobart Tigmate at a VERY good price. Upon further research, some of which consisted of asking and receiving advice from the knowledgeable and generous people on this board, I soon figured out that I wanted a machine with a lower working range. At the same time, my anticipated usage at least for the first half of the three year warranty period would be light. I had wanted to buy a 200DX but I am still wary of inverters and their high repair cost since I would likely not use it sufficiently to burn it in during the warranty period. So in the end, I worked a tradein of the Tigmate for a 180SD.

As for the 180SD versus the PTig 185, the 180SD in my opinion has had more time in the field to work out the bugs that come with any new product. When one considers that the 180SD is derived from the 250 Syncrowave line that has been out for a long time and that the current 180SD is the second edition of the 180 product, there is a good chance that this implementation is mature. This seems to be borne out by the many favorable user comments that the 180SD has received.

You may want to check this out....

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=18...ding&scoring=d

As I mentioned, the PTig 185 is a relatively new offering which the marketplace has yet to weigh in on yet. Its builtin pulser is an interesting option which is an option on the 180SD and I would love to hear some actual user comments on it.

Anyone else have any comments on the PTig 185 versus 180SD?

TMT

Originally posted by Gaslight
    Let's say I go against all the best advice and my own preferences, and was to purchase a 180 sd. It would seem as though a good first step would be to get a 60 amp breaker for my box, and test it to see if I can draw 30 a side through it? What do you think?

Thanks for all the other coments. I'm going to go out and see if I can find a DX at a reasonable price. If not I'll have to consider mail order or something.

If I'm allowed to ask, Too Many Tools, why did you decide on a Miller 180 SD and not a Precision TIG 185? If you gave the latter any thought at all. Seems as though the 185 has more features, but then Miller has a better name, and actualy invented Square wave, from what they say. ALso I was wondering more generally why it seems as though most people prefer Milelr. That seems what I hear everywhere I go. Up here, Lincoln was all I ever saw, I never even KNew Miller existed. All of a sudden they are everywhere, and seem the prefered brand. If I had to describe Ford vs GM, I know the history, and what their early and recent strengths are, but I don't know that relative to Miller. There must be a compeling reason.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    cup holder LOL

one would have to think there is a better place to keep your drink than on your welder LOL

Leave a comment:

• Gaslight
    replied
    Thanks, I'm interested in everyone's opinions.

I don't want to convert this into a nasty bashing thread, I just know who is for real with woodworking tools, and had none of that kind of sense for the welding area. I did wonder about the cup holders on the Lincoln machine. I wouldn't want to get a cup of anything that close to my machine...

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    ill take a shot at that 1

i'm shoure Too Many Tools will give you his input as i shurly cant anser for him .
    that being said
    i have noticed some things about the 2 (blue VS red)
    wile i am shoure that red dose product testing just as miller dose but have no ideal how extensive it is.miller realy abuses ther welders in the testing faze to inshure it will hold up to the real world not just a safe shelf invirment.

i also belive that miller's service is second to none . i have seen on many accounts where a problem with a miller has been solved with a phone call to miller where miller has solved it and shipped out the replacement part right away.miller seems to truly be there for there customerin manny ways.

i have also seen many people with the red brand on bolth this site and the hobart site trying to get help with red problems after hitting a wall trying to get help from red.lack of part availability.and no one at red to speek to to get help.

wile im shoure that red has a good welder line i would fear the service related problems that come up in a new welder purchas.little things that so manny times accure when you get a new welder .

as we have all seen too offten the person that sells us the welder only know what the sails broshure tells him and leaves him as no help with operation questions this is far less of a problem with miller as they have a phone in suport department as well as this site to anser any questions you may have about your new welder. miller has always been the top dog and im shoure they will always be. a large part of that being this site to help them give us not only support but let them know what we the consumer wants in our new welders. miller is always first and others fallow.
    miller is more $$ but if you look what you get for the extra $$ it is well werth it. part of that extra $$ goes into paying for this board, and you will find that almost any if not all of your questions can be anserd here or we can direct you to where you can get that anser
    miller compeats by having the best product not the most out there.miller dosent flood the market putting welders in every store you walk into. being in every store dosent make you better just increases sails but how much help can you expect to get from home depot. most of the time they cant even find what is on there shelf..
    in the 10 month's that i have had my MM135 i have not seen 1 person needing help with a problem for that welder wile the sp135 has been on the hobart site a cuple of times.
    is it that in the rush to get all thouse extra welders out to all thouse stores the cause ???????
    miller pays more atention to the lil things that may not make a differance between working or not working, but make a big differance in working smothly.
    i offer the drive wheel setup on all the smaller welders. did miller need to put the best in theres no i'm shoure a plastic 1 would work but the 1 they went with will no dought out last and out preform the plastick.if you realy look closely you will see they pay more atention to the lil things that alone may not matter but together add up to a better more reliable welder.

seems i'm rambaling again.
    in short you get what you pay for and in miller's case you get what you payed for and more.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X